Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
2-Month X1 Report: Lots of Problems, Almost Undriveable

Hi guys.

It's been a while since I posted. My car is only two months old with 1700 miles, and it's developed so many problems that I've become totally unenthused. This past weekend, yet another problem crept up that has made the car virtually undriveable. I'll be limping it to the dealerhsip this afternoon with a laundry list of issues (may have them tow it, now that I think about it). I can't drive the Corvette because it's still very much winter up here, so the X1 is it and it's a *bleeping* dud!

Just curious if anyone else has had these problems (besides the throttle lag which is obvious).

1. Extremely rough idle; car stalls at stops; lurches forward randomly; extreme sulphur-y smell, like rotten garbage, from tailpipe. Other times, smells like a burnt clutch.

2. Throttle Lag issue

3. Loud metallic buzz/rattle from engine for first 1-2 minutes after startup.

4. Sticky brakes - brakes grab just before a stop, making a smooth stop impossible and a jerky stop guaranteed. Same upon brake release.

5. Auto Start Stop to be disabled

6. Loud electonic whirring/grinding noise from rear of car whenever I open a car door.

7. Automatic wipers don't work in (or don't sense) snow.

8. Strong odor of washer fluid gets into the car anytime I use the fluid on either front or back window.

9. Sunroof seal leaky; lets in tons of wind noise at 40+ mph. This only happens if the car was parked outside during snowfall. Guessing snow/ice gets into the seal somewhere and wedges it open enough to allow wind through. Would have thought a German car was snowproof?

10. Radio spontaneously switches sources 30 seconds after the car is started.

This is absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with a brand new car, hands down. Even my first car, a $700 Toyota Celica from 1974, had fewer problems than this. Really regretting my purchase choice, which sucks because I was SO excited to finally get this X1 when it arrived. I religiously followed the break-in advice and have made no tweaks or mods to anything on the car (with these issues, I'm now glad I held off on the tuning package; this way I am assured my idle issue is a BMW issue and not an aftermarket one).

We shall see how the dealer handles all this!
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: Varies
Unfortunately there is always the chance of getting a lemon or more issue prone car, luck of the draw im afraid. Have you checked the lemon laws in your state? I would think that stalling at stops would at least be sufficient safety concern to qualify if they cannot fix
Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 PM

I am not familiar the the lemon laws here, though it might not be a bad idea to at least have some understanding of them in the back of my head, in case this turns out to be chronic. I guess it was just my turn...
Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: X1 28i xDrive
6. Loud electonic whirring/grinding noise from rear of car whenever I open a car door.

I think this is normal. Seems to be the seats re-positioning to a neutral position. That way if your 3ft 2in girlfriend was last in the car, your 7ft basketball sized body can get in behind the wheel, until it senses your preset when you stick the "key" in.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Took delivery of ours in October 2012. Have around 1700 miles on the car now. We have the xDrive28i with MSport and all other options except heated seats! We have a slight rattle when the HVAC is blowing cold air. We are also a little concerned that when we are driving on uneven pavement at night, the headlights seem to jiggle up an down more than is warranted by the firm suspension in the MSport. I will have this looked at in the next month or two.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport Prem 5Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlova View Post

I think this is normal. Seems to be the seats re-positioning to a neutral position. That way if your 3ft 2in girlfriend was last in the car, your 7ft basketball sized body can get in behind the wheel, until it senses your preset when you stick the "key" in.
That's the high pressure fuel pump priming itself. All the turbo cars do that.

2000 528i Sport Premium 5speed
Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPP528 View Post
That's the high pressure fuel pump priming itself. All the turbo cars do that.
Ah, OK, so that's normal then. That's one thing off the list.

I took the car to the dealer this afternoon, and the service rep told me that a few of my concerns were "normal". The sticky brakes? normal. The smell of the washer fluid inside the car? normal if using outside air.

Not sure I buy that! They gave me a loaner, a 2013 328 xDrive. No sticky brakes there. I can stop and start as smooth as anything. That's impossible with the X1. I then set the car to Outside Air, shot a bunch of wiper fluid at the windshield... none of the odor came inside. I always use Outside air, especially with the cold winters here, as it keeps the windows from fogging up. No car I've ever had, has allowed wiper fluid fumes into the cabin. As for the throttle lag? This car is leaps above the X1. It's very quick to respond. But if I assume the service rep IS right... that a lot of these nuisances are normal, than what does that say about the quality of BMW Engineering??

So, now it's hurry up and wait! The 328 is a nice enough ride, but it's considerably noisier than my X1 as far as road noise. It's almost a howl. Maybe it has different tires, I didn't check. It only has 800 miles on it... not bad for a loaner!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 35
i can confirm that even on my e90 when using outside air, you get the washer scent in the cabin. i believe it has been this way for more than 10 years with bmw since the fresh air intake is up by where the windshield wipers are located.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Every car I had you can smell washer fluid. VW, Ford, BMW, and Audi.

My car idles rough when first started but it smooths out after a minute. I assume its because of the 4 cyl not as smooth as the 6 cyl.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitby View Post
We are also a little concerned that when we are driving on uneven pavement at night, the headlights seem to jiggle up an down more than is warranted by the firm suspension in the MSport. I will have this looked at in the next month or two.
I don't have this problem but check this thread: X1 Adaptive Headlight Issue
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: X1 s28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone907 View Post
1. Extremely rough idle; car stalls at stops; lurches forward randomly; extreme sulphur-y smell, like rotten garbage, from tailpipe. Other times, smells like a burnt clutch.

3. Loud metallic buzz/rattle from engine for first 1-2 minutes after startup.

4. Sticky brakes - brakes grab just before a stop, making a smooth stop impossible and a jerky stop guaranteed. Same upon brake release.

5. Auto Start Stop to be disabled
1. Is this the ASS working? My car lurches when it restarts, it is not smooth at all. The idle is smooth, but loud due to the direct injection.

3. I have a heat shield that rattles during start-up.

4. I think this is a function of the transmission downshifting and the regenerative brakes working.

5. The dealer should be able to program the change. I'm going to ask my dealer to do it also.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
"regenerative brakes working"? The X1 has regenerative brakes? Thought only Hybrids had those. Learn something new every day on this board.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txchas View Post
4. I think this is a function of the transmission downshifting and the regenerative brakes working.
OP: Google "BMW Soft Stop feature". That is the programming that BMW puts into the ABS system to attempt to stop the car smoothly without a final jerk as the car comes to a stop. It can be removed.

Per the literature, all X1's come with the "Brake Energy Regeneration". This isn't actually a part of the braking system, but a feature of the intelligent charging system that runs the alternator at max when going downhill or braking to charge the battery without using extra engine power, so as to save fuel.

Throttle lag is what it is. Try re-setting the transmission. Try using sport mode (to start in 1st rather than 2nd.) Search will discover many posts about this.

My rain-sensing wipers on my 335d does fine in snow. Don't know what's up with yours.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I don't have this problem but check this thread: X1 Adaptive Headlight Issue
Thanks. Seems I may not be alone.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
You smell the wiper fluid because BMW uses a fluid that has a strong smell. If you run out of the BMW fluid and add fluid from a gas station the smell will be less noticeable.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
You smell the wiper fluid because BMW uses a fluid that has a strong smell. If you run out of the BMW fluid and add fluid from a gas station the smell will be less noticeable.
That's exactly what the dealer told me. They said it was a very pungent fluid, and they are replacing it with a different, less odorous fluid. I'm sure that will help a lot, and probably explains why I could never smell the stuff while driving any other car.

As far as my main issue that has crippled the car, they still do not know what's wrong with it for sure. They determined that the spark plugs need replacing because they were incredibly fouled up from running so rich. They also told me that they had NO spark plugs in stock since they did not expect a 2013 model to need any so soon. They had to air-freight a set up from who-knows-where. Assuming they arrive today, I'm hoping I'll learn more about whats going on.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
I have wiper fluid smell also, no big deal for me. I have no other problems, other then my alarm went off while driving one time. I have almost 4 K on it.

2014 X3 28i
2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 03-12-2013, 03:17 PM

Ok, it took eight days but the dealer believes they have my X1 running again. They are saying I had two bad fuel injectors.

Now, I am skeptical that two injectors both happened to fail in two months, all by themselves. Seems like the odds that one would fail after two months are pretty slim, but to have two of them do that... slimmer still. I sure hope there isn't an underlying problem that caused the injectors to fail. I guess we shall see in another two months!

They've also got the ASS defaulting to "off" which is nice. They put a less-smelly windshield washer fluid in the fluid tank. But they cannot replicate any of the other issues, the most annoying of which is this loud metallic rattle / buzz from the front of the engine, that persists for about 60 seconds after starting the car. This buzz gets louder if I give it a little gas, but goes away shortly thereafter. If that continues to happen, I'll take them to task for it. The other issues may be normal (poor design, but normal), but this rattle is a problem.

They couldn't replicate the issue with my radio spontaneously switching from AUX to FM, so I may have to pay more attention to the steps prior to this happening. Maybe it's something with my phone, but the odd thing is that this issue only began happening when my engine began running rough. Weird.

I'm off to pick the car up in a few, and overall I will be glad to have it back. The loaner, a 328i, is nice but I find it far less to my liking. At least with the X1, I can see the start button without the steering wheel blocking it!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone907 View Post
Ok, it took eight days but the dealer believes they have my X1 running again. They are saying I had two bad fuel injectors.

Now, I am skeptical that two injectors both happened to fail in two months, all by themselves. Seems like the odds that one would fail after two months are pretty slim, but to have two of them do that... slimmer still. I sure hope there isn't an underlying problem that caused the injectors to fail. I guess we shall see in another two months!

They've also got the ASS defaulting to "off" which is nice. They put a less-smelly windshield washer fluid in the fluid tank. But they cannot replicate any of the other issues, the most annoying of which is this loud metallic rattle / buzz from the front of the engine, that persists for about 60 seconds after starting the car. This buzz gets louder if I give it a little gas, but goes away shortly thereafter. If that continues to happen, I'll take them to task for it. The other issues may be normal (poor design, but normal), but this rattle is a problem.

They couldn't replicate the issue with my radio spontaneously switching from AUX to FM, so I may have to pay more attention to the steps prior to this happening. Maybe it's something with my phone, but the odd thing is that this issue only began happening when my engine began running rough. Weird.

I'm off to pick the car up in a few, and overall I will be glad to have it back. The loaner, a 328i, is nice but I find it far less to my liking. At least with the X1, I can see the start button without the steering wheel blocking it!
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I must have missed this one.
OP: which of your complaints resulted in them finding out that two injectors were bad? the stalling, I assume.

I too am struggling with a complaint that they can't reproduce, it get serious hessitation on hard acceleration above 3K RPM. I'm suspecting defective injectors as well.

I also agree that the brakes suck! prob made worse by the horrible Perelli P7 tires. They are touring tires with low rolling resistance (Traction Rating A not AA), and run-flat on top of that. The tread wear rating of 500 seems way off too. I have 12,700 miles and my tires are more than 50% gone in the rear and at least 25% gone in front. (Last set of tires, under the same driving conditions and in a heavier car, lasted me 70K miles! I'm getting Michelins next) I think braking should improve vastly with a set of good brake pads.

BTW anyone know if the dealer will rotate tires under the free maintenance program? If not, I'd better do that ASAP.

My headlights vibrate like crazy over sharp bumps. They told me nothing is wrong and they check out. Another issue with the lights is that one fog lamp comes on in AutoLight Mode, even with the fog light switch off. This seems intermitent.

Not sure about more road noise in the F30. I thought that my loaners were a lot quieter in terms of road noise and engine noise, but I agree that the X1 rides much stiffer and sporty. My X1 transmission seems to shift faster and harder too, maybe this is due to the Sport Transmission with Paddles, which they charge $800 for in the F30 Sport.

I have ASS defaulted off, but anyone notice that the transmission sometimes comes to "rest" when stopped at a light? Sometimes I feel the whole car settle a few seconds after coming to a stop. Not sure what that's about.