Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 AM
01tj 01tj is offline
Registered User
Location: Fairmont, WV
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to 01tj
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Thinking about getting an E9X xdrive to replace my E46 and Jeep

I drive an 01 Jeep Wrangler that I ordered and purchased new in 2001. Since then I have added quite a few after market modifications to make it a better off road vehicle. I rarely go off road though so its mostly a winter vehicle. I also have an 02 E46 330i with about 40,000 miles on it. I love driving it but the rwd won't make it up the hill leading into our development. We've been think about selling them and getting one vehicle to replace them. My wife also has an AWD Ford Flex and we really don't need 3 vehicles. Finding something to replace both of them that fills all my wants and needs seems to be difficult though. I want something that will be fun, for me that means it has to be a standard. That probably also means a 335i. I also want something that will get me up and down the hill so Xdrive is also a must. But reliability and practicality are also important so I'm thinking a 328it or what ever they call the wagons these days may be the most reasonable choice. I'll probably also want to keep the price under $25K used.

I guess my questions are, how good is Xdrive? How do the 335 and 328 compare in terms or reliability? Can you even get an AWD wagon with a stick?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM
GarySL's Avatar
GarySL GarySL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humboldt County, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,609
Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
The e91 does come in AWD with a stick (see View My Garage).

g/l
__________________
'08 335xi (E90), 6MT, Arctic/Black, ZPP, ZSP (18"s), ZCW, CA, PDC, i-Pod
Ordered: March 7, 2008
Built: March 17, 2008
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Salvator's Avatar
Salvator Salvator is offline
Livin' like Larry!
Location: NOVA
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 8,850
Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
328xiTs are available with manual transmission... We own one and are quite pleased with it. This year, we put dedicated snow tires and I was amazed how well it drove in a recent snowfall... Not much of a snowfall, but cars were sliding around and i was driving up hills without issue. The hard part will be finding one... I read somewhere that only 10% of the BMWs in the US are now manual, and since so few wagons are imported, they are like a needle in a haystack... good luck!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Salvator's Avatar
Salvator Salvator is offline
Livin' like Larry!
Location: NOVA
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 8,850
Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
I found 2 out on www.BMWUSA.com ... Unfortunately, they are outside your price range... One is a 2011 for 36k, and the other is a 2009 for 29k...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
01tj 01tj is offline
Registered User
Location: Fairmont, WV
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to 01tj
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator View Post
328xiTs are available with manual transmission... We own one and are quite pleased with it. This year, we put dedicated snow tires and I was amazed how well it drove in a recent snowfall... Not much of a snowfall, but cars were sliding around and i was driving up hills without issue. The hard part will be finding one... I read somewhere that only 10% of the BMWs in the US are now manual, and since so few wagons are imported, they are like a needle in a haystack... good luck!
Yeah, when I start looking I'll check out the forums first but I'm sure it won't be easy. Are the 328's more reliable than the 335's? Last I read the fuel pump issue has been sorted out
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,804
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Past the HPFP (which seems to have been resolved), the 335's have an issue with intake valve coking due to the direct injection system. From a long term perspective, the turbos will be a repair item that a 328 won't have.

That being said, I do love my 335i xDrive. Does very well in the snow with a set of Blizzaks all around, albeit with a tendency to tramline in slush, likely due to the width of the tires.
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 04-12-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2013, 06:45 PM
01tj 01tj is offline
Registered User
Location: Fairmont, WV
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to 01tj
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Past the HPFP (which seems to have been resolved), the 335's have an issue with intake valve coking due to the direct injection system. From a long term perspective, the turbos will be a repair item that a 328 won't have.

That being said, I do love my 335i xDrive. Does very well in the snow with a set of Blizzaks all around, albeit with a tendency to tramline in slush, likely due to the width f the tires.
If/when I do go to one DD I'll get two sets of wheels and tires, one set for summer fun and one for winter fun. How long do the turbos usually last on these? Is there a fix for the intake valve issue?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,804
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
There haven't been a ton of reports on out-of-warranty turbo failures that I've seen. Seems to be the same as other cars with turbos.

The intake valve issue has a simple (but a bit costly) fix of using ground walnut shells in an air cleaning system to clean the valves off. Costs seem to be in the $400 - $800 range, seems to start to be an issue in the 50,000 - 100,000 mile range. It can also be done manually using brushes if you are handy with a set of tools and want to dedicate a Saturday to the task.

I've had mine since it left the factory (I drove it down the ramp in Munich), and I'll cross 90,000 miles this week. I've got a big maintenance update at that point. The two things I'm still deciding if I should do or not are:
  1. should I replace the water pump preemptively, and
  2. should I have the intake valves cleaned even though I haven't seen any indications my car needs it yet.

Even with that and a short ton of age or mileage based fluid changes (differentials, transfer case, PS, coolant, brake fluid, etc.), I still love this car.
__________________
2009 335i xDrive coupe, Jet Black, Black Leather, Grey Poplar, Steptronic, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, iPod/USB, HD radio, Parking Assist. Rear Fogs, Hardwire V1, ProFit G3.
ED May 12, 2009, Munich dropoff May 16, Redelivery June 22, 2009




Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-25-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Past the HPFP (which seems to have been resolved), the 335's have an issue with intake valve coking due to the direct injection system. From a long term perspective, the turbos will be a repair item that a 328 won't have.

That being said, I do love my 335i xDrive. Does very well in the snow with a set of Blizzaks all around, albeit with a tendency to tramline in slush, likely due to the width f the tires.

Turbo reliability surprises! Coming up on 450k mi, pickup, no issues ever.

BMW's early issues with wastegate rattle seem resolved. Intake valve coking fixed by walnut shell blast may as well be considered routine maint every 60k mi.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Last Sight's Avatar
Last Sight Last Sight is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hunterdon County, NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
Can you even get an AWD wagon with a stick?
Yes but they seem pretty hard to find...
__________________
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 AM
01tj 01tj is offline
Registered User
Location: Fairmont, WV
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to 01tj
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Can any of you tell me how the E9X 325, 330 and 328 compare to the E46 330i?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,837
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
the turbos are warrantied for 100K miles or 10 years, I think I read somewhere. I would more be worried about the transmission fluid not being changed until 100K
walnut blasting the intake valves is cheap to do every 50K miles. I could probably do mine since I have a compressor, would have to purchase the tool and the walnut media, just a tedious job.

Hondo
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
01tj 01tj is offline
Registered User
Location: Fairmont, WV
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to 01tj
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
the turbos are warrantied for 100K miles or 10 years, I think I read somewhere. I would more be worried about the transmission fluid not being changed until 100K
walnut blasting the intake valves is cheap to do every 50K miles. I could probably do mine since I have a compressor, would have to purchase the tool and the walnut media, just a tedious job.

Hondo
With the manual?

How much is the walnut blast?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM
01tj 01tj is offline
Registered User
Location: Fairmont, WV
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to 01tj
Mein Auto: E46 330i
How concerned should I be about this ticking problem I've been reading about. I'm finding good prices on 330xi's but I wonder if they are selling for so cheap because of the ticking noise. Does the 335 have this issue?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,304
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
How concerned should I be about this ticking problem I've been reading about. I'm finding good prices on 330xi's but I wonder if they are selling for so cheap because of the ticking noise. Does the 335 have this issue?
There is no need to be concerned. It is benign. Much like the VANOS rattle on the E46 ZHP. It has zero effect on the market value of the E90 330.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-11-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Kilgore Trout's Avatar
Kilgore Trout Kilgore Trout is offline
Chicks dig Wagons!
Location: Stuck in traffic south of Burbank
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,836
Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
Can any of you tell me how the E9X 325, 330 and 328 compare to the E46 330i?
We had a 330i e46. It was a great car, but it had all kinds of annoying reliability issues (five, yeah count 'em, five window motor failures, gazillions of water pumps,etc) that I have not had with my E91.
__________________
2009 E91 Montego Blue w/ Gray Dakota 6AT ZPP/Logic7/Sirius/Idrive/Butt warmers/6FL/PCD/CA/6NL/Xenons
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
I drive an 01 Jeep Wrangler that I ordered and purchased new in 2001. Since then I have added quite a few after market modifications to make it a better off road vehicle. I rarely go off road though so its mostly a winter vehicle. I also have an 02 E46 330i with about 40,000 miles on it. I love driving it but the rwd won't make it up the hill leading into our development. We've been think about selling them and getting one vehicle to replace them. My wife also has an AWD Ford Flex and we really don't need 3 vehicles. Finding something to replace both of them that fills all my wants and needs seems to be difficult though. I want something that will be fun, for me that means it has to be a standard. That probably also means a 335i. I also want something that will get me up and down the hill so Xdrive is also a must. But reliability and practicality are also important so I'm thinking a 328it or what ever they call the wagons these days may be the most reasonable choice. I'll probably also want to keep the price under $25K used.

I guess my questions are, how good is Xdrive? How do the 335 and 328 compare in terms or reliability? Can you even get an AWD wagon with a stick?

Well, now. What about a $1100 Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential? Gets ya up a hill easy, with snows should be no problem at all. And you still have a car you love to drive....CraigsList/Ebay your Jeep and you're nicely ahead.

Sure, lists $1295, but should be easy to find discounted - I did.

Hey, tiny added weight, less maint 'n' x-drive, and handles much better!


.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 04-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms