Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
I can feel halt when using sport mode, is that a problem?

Hi all, I got my new 2013 X3 28i last week. I am new to BMW so I am not sure if it is a problem.

When I use the sport mode, and start the car from speed 0, I can feel halt when the speed goes up. It feels like the speed goes up too fast and the transmission's response is not fast enough. I am not sure if it is normal?

If I use comfort mode, the speed goes up not that fast and there is no such halt.

So is there any one has the same feeling? is it normal?

Thanks in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
If halt means a slight delay and then a big jerk, then its pretty normal on the X3 with the 4 cylinder. How many miles you have on your car?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Yes it is 2.0T with 4 cylinder.

It was 6 miles when I got the car last week. Now it has 95 miles.

I am happy to know that it is normal. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If halt means a slight delay and then a big jerk, then its pretty normal on the X3 with the 4 cylinder. How many miles you have on your car?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM
warlord with a mom-mobile

Mein Auto: 2013 X3, 1997 C280 Sport
I thought the exact same thing when I got my X3 28i a month ago - i.e. very abrupt downshifts in Sport mode. It took me about 3 weeks to adjust. Your foot basically has to learn how much and when to apply pressure to the pedal to get smoother downshifts. It can be done, with practice and patience. Give it some time.

Retired: 2005 X5 4.4i ... 2002 540i ... 1999 M3 ... 1997 328i ... 1988 535i
Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Instead of normal, I should say its a common problem with BMW's 8 speed transmission, especially on the 4 cylinder turbo models.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM

Thanks for your advice. I think I have to get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post
I thought the exact same thing when I got my X3 28i a month ago - i.e. very abrupt downshifts in Sport mode. It took me about 3 weeks to adjust. Your foot basically has to learn how much and when to apply pressure to the pedal to get smoother downshifts. It can be done, with practice and patience. Give it some time.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM

So you mean the 6 cylinder turbo models like x3 35i also has such problem?
Why the 8 speed transmission has such problem, isnt it supposed to be smoother (compared to 6 speed transmission) when it shifts? just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Instead of normal, I should say its a common problem with BMW's 8 speed transmission, especially on the 4 cylinder turbo models.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:21 AM
BMW x3 2013 20i Black

Mein Auto: BMW 320i, BMW X3 20i 2013
First to see with same as my car> have a q

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadensky View Post
Yes it is 2.0T with 4 cylinder.

It was 6 miles when I got the car last week. Now it has 95 miles.

I am happy to know that it is normal. Thanks a lot!

Hi ,
my car is exactly like yours, petrol not gas. I just posted a new thread , i have a calpping sound in the engine when slightly pressing the accelarator when stationary up to 1.5 RPM for on;y a second. Do you have the same sound ? or do I have an electrical problem or is it bad fuel .Thanks to tell ..

Cheers

BMW X3 20i, 2013, Black x Black . New
320i 2009 - Mineral Silver - Beige 44,000km .
Old 03-07-2013, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 118
+1 for Hardrada

Sometimes, we need to have ample time knowing our car before we can perfectly drive it down the road.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Hi, there is no such sound for my car. I think it is no supposed to have any sound when the RPM is not high, like 1.5. I can hear the sound of Turbo when RPM goes up to 4. Maybe you need let your dealer check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimsha View Post
Hi ,
my car is exactly like yours, petrol not gas. I just posted a new thread , i have a calpping sound in the engine when slightly pressing the accelarator when stationary up to 1.5 RPM for on;y a second. Do you have the same sound ? or do I have an electrical problem or is it bad fuel .Thanks to tell ..

Cheers
Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadensky View Post
So you mean the 6 cylinder turbo models like x3 35i also has such problem?
Why the 8 speed transmission has such problem, isnt it supposed to be smoother (compared to 6 speed transmission) when it shifts? just curious
The problem is not as bad on the 35i due to the higher engine power. In my opinion, the jerky lower gear shifts are from the transmission's programming. The 8 speed's biggest advantage over the 6 speed is lower shift points, increase power and better gas mileage. The problem usually goes away if you drive it in the sport mode. It seems the more gentle you are with your car, the worst the problem get. That is because the transmission computer is trying to learn your driving style and shift accordingly. If you drive aggressively, it will keep the rpm higher before shifting gears which means less delay and jerking. There is a way for the dealer to reset the transmission's adpated shift points. There is also a way to reset the transmission's adpated shift points by yourself that have work in other BMW models, but the result usually only last for a few months. Your car is still pretty new, wait a few more months and see if the gears break in properly, if not, have the dealer take a look at it.

Last edited by The X Men; 03-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.