Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
335i purchase question upgrades

I am in the market for a used car in the mid to high $20k range. I have been looking at the E46M3 and 335i. I think it will be the 335i for the same price as M3 and the 335 is newer.

So are there any specific year/s to stay away from? In my price range it seems like 2007-09 with under 50k are in my price range. I also want a 6 speed. I really wanted XI but I want sport package so that leads me to 335i non awd.

I will also be getting an extended warranty so the question on performance upgrades comes up. One BMW dealer I spoke with said I would have to stick with Dinan as to not void warranty or them denying a claim. Does that sound correct? Also what if I was just looking to up it to 350-400 HP at the wheels what would I be looking at for Dinan upgrades and cost? Would it be just a simple software ECU upgrade?

Also on the sport pack are the wheels/tires staggered? If so anyone know rim size and tire sizes front and back?

Thanks

Last edited by bud4ya; 03-05-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud4ya View Post
So are there any specific year/s to stay away from?
09+ preferred. past 3rd year of production, reliability improved and iDrive was pleasantly redesigned. Previous iDrive somewhat....demanding.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by calwaterboy View Post
09+ preferred. Past 3rd year of production, reliability improved and idrive was pleasantly redesigned. Previous idrive somewhat....demanding.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I will also be getting an extended warranty so the question on performance upgrades comes up. One BMW dealer I spoke with said I would have to stick with Dinan as to not void warranty or them denying a claim. Does that sound correct? Also what if I was just looking to up it to 350-400 HP at the wheels what would I be looking at for Dinan upgrades and cost? Would it be just a simple software ECU upgrade?

Not so!

BMW voids its warranty on Dinan install; Dinan has their own warranty.

Dinan known for the lowest bang fer buck in the industry. JB4 grossly better in features - better in performance, and does meth which Dinan and Cobb cannot.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 03-06-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Also on the sport pack are the wheels/tires staggered? If so anyone know rim size and tire sizes front and back?

They are.

Here's a good opportunity to acquire skill using one of the best tools re: your new BMW

That would be Google and Bing. The BMW 3 being one of the most described, DIY'd, and questioned vehicles around, your chances of answering questions are good! Try there, and you'll view peripheral info that is often essential.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 AM

I will have to ask another person that same question on the warranty at that dealer and see what I get for a response.

I did some Dinan tune on both my E39 M5 and 540 sport and I really did not notice much of a difference. If I remember correctly it was VERY expensive too. From the reading I have been doing JB4 seems to come up a lot for an upgrade choice. Is this upgrade easily detected by a dealer? The only way I would go with a 335i is if I can get a safe 400 HP out of it without worrying about other components going bad because of HP/TQ increase. Basically stay in a safe HP range the stock components of the car can handle example the turbo’s.

If doing something like the JB4 is going to lead me to have an un reliable car I may just go back to looking at the E60 M5 and spending the $32k plus warranty.

Anyone have feedback on their JB4 install while car is under BMW warranty and or 3rd party? Last thing I want is the turbo/turbos to go and they say sorry your upgrades caused that and it comes out of your pocket. I have not done enough research to know if you could turn on turn off upgrades when getting warranty work done.

Thanks Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
FALSE!

BMW voids is warranty on Dinan install; Dinan has their own warranty.

Dinan known for the lowest bang fer buck in the industry. JB4 grossly better in features - better in performance, and does meth which Dinan and Cobb cannot.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Also, you'll need a LSD for great handling. Dinan offers a Quaife unit under their name at elevated cost - Quaife is British. Wavetrac at least as good and made in California - have same and recommend 'em.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 AM

Thank you

Quote:
They are.

Here's a good opportunity to acquire skill using one of the best tools re: your new BMW

That would be Google and Bing. The BMW 3 being one of the most described, DIY'd, and questioned vehicles around, your chances of answering questions are good! Try there, and you'll view peripheral info that is often essential.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 AM

The LSD would be a must. I was really leaning towards trying the E46 M3. I just liked the idea of getting my HP for cheap money out of the 335

Quote:
Also, you'll need a LSD for great handling. Dinan offers a Quaife unit under their name at elevated cost - Quaife is British. Wavetrac at least as good and made in California - have same and recommend 'em.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
There has just been in the past few weeks a mega thread here on tunes, warranty etc do a little searching as I am sure most of us don't want to flog a dead horse. I type with two fingers & don't want to do a do over You can't get 400whp without some mods the dealer can bitch about.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 03-06-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I did some Dinan tune on both my E39 M5 and 540 sport and I really did not notice much of a difference. If I remember correctly it was VERY expensive too. From the reading I have been doing JB4 seems to come up a lot for an upgrade choice. Is this upgrade easily detected by a dealer? The only way I would go with a 335i is if I can get a safe 400 HP out of it without worrying about other components going bad because of HP/TQ increase. Basically stay in a safe HP range the stock components of the car can handle example the turbo's.

If doing something like the JB4 is going to lead me to have an un reliable car I may just go back to looking at the E60 M5 and spending the $32k plus warranty.

JB4 is hardware, thus discoverable. Removing for service a mild PITA as the ECU must be accessed where it's plugged into JB4, but service is very uncommon.

Anybody can remove and install JB4 - ain't complicated. When installed can be discovered simply by working steering wheel switches that operate it. If installed, hey, it shows just like it should. That said, there is no other tune even close to what JB4 will do for you.

JB4 has proven totally reliable. I recommend you Google for yourself, and [click here]
Old 03-06-2013, 06:11 AM

Thank you and I will search for this topic see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
There has just been in the past few weeks a mega thread here on tunes, warranty etc do a little searching as I am sure most of us don't want to flog a dead horse. I type with two fingers & don't want to do a do over You can't get 400whp without some mods the dealer can bitch about.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
The LSD would be a must. I was really leaning towards trying the E46 M3. I just liked the idea of getting my HP for cheap money out of the 335
After mods, somewhat less expensive. Remember that M3 is a massive suspension and drivetrain upgrade from 328i and 335i and 335is, those having identical suspensions/diff's.

What to do? Install M3 arms and LSD/coilovers/camber plates/toe arms/bushings of your choice. With good tune, faster than M3 + handles & rides as impressively. And....you are stealth....nobody messes w/you like they do with M3.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 AM

The flip side of the coin is then I get thinking about cost. I am not sure how much that all costs. The 335i I am guessing will cost me high 20's for an 09 with lower miles. Then just guessing here those mods you mentioned I would have to guess will run $3k range. That then puts me in the low $30k range. At that point do I get an 06 07 M5 with 40k miles on it which they can be had for low mid 30k range.

decisions decisions

Quote:
After mods, somewhat less expensive. Remember that M3 is a massive suspension and drivetrain upgrade from 328i and 335i and 335is, those having identical suspensions/diff's.

What to do? Install M3 arms and LSD/coilovers/camber plates/toe arms/bushings of your choice. With good tune, faster than M3 + handles & rides as impressively. And....you are stealth....nobody messes w/you like they do with M3.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:
JB4 is hardware, thus discoverable. Removing for service a mild PITA as the ECU must be accessed where it's plugged into JB4, but service is very uncommon.

Anybody can remove and install JB4 - ain't complicated. When installed can be discovered simply by working steering wheel switches that operate it. If installed, hey, it shows just like it should. That said, there is no other tune even close to what JB4 will do for you.

JB4 has proven totally reliable. I recommend you Google for yourself, and [click here]
Hey made my day, something to disagree about. You can block the steering wheel buttons through the interface with your lap top, good for light service visits on Map 0.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:

WRONG! I looked at the video on BMS it is not as easy as it looks... Especially if you've ever changed the air filter those clips are a b*

Quote:

The flip side of the coin is then I get thinking about cost. I am not sure how much that all costs. The 335i I am guessing will cost me high 20's for an 09 with lower miles. Then just guessing here those mods you mentioned I would have to guess will run $3k range. That then puts me in the low $30k range. At that point do I get an 06 07 M5 with 40k miles on it which they can be had for low mid 30k range.

decisions decisions
lol if you're worried about warranty work on a 335i I really hope you don't ever meet the SMG m5 It makes the 335i look like a lexus.

How much work can you do yourself is the real question. If you can install FMICs, Oil coolers, JB4's, Downpipes, exc. all on your own you'll save a ton of money and probably for the above you'd spend around 3-4k maybe less if you wait for deals. On the other hand if you have no idea or very limited knowledge your looking at 4-7+k.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 03-06-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:

JB4 + meth, M arms, Wavetrac LSD, subframe bushings, Ground Control street/school kit, M strut brace; Megan toe arms = $7k parts.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Hey made my day, something to disagree about. You can block the steering wheel buttons through the interface with your lap top, good for light service visits on Map 0.

Thank you Bear....thank you very much indeed!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
JB4 + meth, M arms, Wavetrac LSD, subframe bushings, Ground Control street/school kit, M strut brace; Megan toe arms = $7k parts.
and still not as awesome as cobb + stock suspension + custom installed drop in BMS air filter
Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
WRONG! I looked at the video on BMS it is not as easy as it looks... Especially if you've ever changed the air filter those clips are a b*

Well, I've R&R'd JB4 any number of times and can say it's really not much effort at all. 3 clips, a few bolts; worst part's removing the plastic ECU cover, a tight fit in my ride.

Y'know, dropping the rear subframe looked very intimidating the first time I did it....turns out it's easier than accessing that ECU. Yet, most look at it like major surgery. Live 'n' learn!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
and still not as awesome as cobb + stock suspension + custom installed drop in BMS air filter
I'll grossly outrun ya and out handle ya an order of magnitude.

As far as I can tell I no longer have handling limits.

Don't underestimate the benefits of meth....you could lose yer pink slip!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I'll grossly outrun ya and out handle ya an order of magnitude.

As far as I can tell I no longer have handling limits.

Don't underestimate the benefits of meth....you could lose yer pink slip!
I'm wondering if the stage 3 dinan suspension install is is worth it with the 15% off coupon... Just because even if I got all the parts on discount I'm still going to have to have someone install it.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if the stage 3 dinan suspension install is is worth it with the 15% off coupon... Just because even if I got all the parts on discount I'm still going to have to have someone install it.
$2400+ for those parts? Can you say "rip-off?"

No LSD's a red flag right there - that's performance not taken seriously. So, of course there's no rear sway. And there are no rear subframe bushings. No rear camber arms/toe arms.

Hey, stay away. Only the unaware go that route. 'Sides which, if you're into performance, always better to DIY install as a tutorial and knowledge builder.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: e36 328i e46 m3
Just sold my e46m3 3 weeks ago, and everyday I regret it =[
Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
$2400+ for those parts? Can you say "rip-off?"

No LSD's a red flag right there - that's performance not taken seriously. So, of course there's no rear sway. And there are no rear subframe bushings. No rear camber arms/toe arms.

Hey, stay away. Only the unaware go that route. 'Sides which, if you're into performance, always better to DIY install as a tutorial and knowledge builder.
2366 based on the labor rate here , but I have xdrive so I don't think I'd need to pick up an LSD.