Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Adaptive headlights error

My headlights won't move when I start the car, won't move when I turn the wheel and I got this message on idrive, led by light switch blinks.
All I have done recently was move the electronics from the bottom of the spare tire well to the driver's side of the trunk.
I did search but did not find much, help is appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakest View Post
My headlights won't move when I start the car, won't move when I turn the wheel and I got this message on idrive, led by light switch blinks.
All I have done recently was move the electronics from the bottom of the spare tire well to the driver's side of the trunk.
This might seem simple but consider if the light switch is in the proper position for the directional lights to function. I did not know about this until I read the manual.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
OK if the switch is at the automatic position, and the LED on the headlamp switch is flashing, and the AHL still not functioning.

See if you can get the system scanned for faults stored related to the AHL system. If no faults are stored and LED is flashing, the problem may be cause by stucked stepper motor in the headlamp.

Someone with a scanner could also put the AHL through its paces to determine which component was faulty.

Last edited by German Steel; 03-05-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Steel View Post
OK if the switch is at the automatic position, and the LED on the headlamp switch is flashing, and the AHL still not functioning.

See if you can get the system scanned for faults stored related to the AHL system. If no faults are stored and LED is flashing, the problem may be cause by stucked stepper motor in the headlamp.

Someone with a scanner could also put the AHL through its paces to determine which component was faulty.
The switch is on auto, neither side is moving what are the chances the both head lights have stuck motors?
If they are bad I have to replace the headlights, if so is there a way to override the error messages until I can fix them?

Thanks for your replies guys
Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
The switch is on auto, neither side is moving what are the chances the both head lights have stuck motors?
If they are bad I have to replace the headlights, if so is there a way to override the error messages until I can fix them?

Thanks for your replies guys
Just to let the car have a say about things here, what were the error code #s? I'll try to look them up for you (key word "try")
Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Just to let the car have a say about things here, what were the error code #s? I'll try to look them up for you (key word "try")
Haven't pulled any codes yet, just getting the idrive message, just a while ago I started the car and the lights moved to self adjust the later got the message on I drive again.
I am baffled....
Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Haven't pulled any codes yet, just getting the idrive message, just a while ago I started the car and the lights moved to self adjust the later got the message on I drive again.
I am baffled....
Remove the headlights and check the wiring inside, it is known to crumble over time. This might be causing your issue, if there are exposed wires cover them and reinstall and see if the error returns. You may need new SMC modules (located on the underside of the headlight assembly), these can be found on eBay fairly cheap.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
Remove the headlights and check the wiring inside, it is known to crumble over time. This might be causing your issue, if there are exposed wires cover them and reinstall and see if the error returns. You may need new SMC modules (located on the underside of the headlight assembly), these can be found on eBay fairly cheap.
There is crumbling insulation, I saw it when I replaced my angel eyes, that was a while back, I brushed liquid tape on them.
this issue started a couple of days ago.
The headlights move up and down when I start the car but I don't see any side to side movement when I move the steering wheel.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
@ GermanSteel - can you please help look up the following fault codes for me? I'm also having AHL issues and would like to know the repair procedure (and parts). I ran over a bump pretty fast which resulted in the following:

Autologic diagnostics quick test report for e60 525i 4 door m54

ADAPTIVE DIRECTIONAL HEADLIGHTS (AHL)

Contains 1 fault

A589 Communication with stepper motor box 1 impaired

LIGHT MODULE (LM)

Contains 1 faults

932E ALC-System defect
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykonan View Post
@ GermanSteel - can you please help look up the following fault codes for me? I'm also having AHL issues and would like to know the repair procedure (and parts). I ran over a bump pretty fast which resulted in the following:

Autologic diagnostics quick test report for e60 525i 4 door m54

ADAPTIVE DIRECTIONAL HEADLIGHTS (AHL)

Contains 1 fault

A589 Communication with stepper motor box 1 impaired

LIGHT MODULE (LM)

Contains 1 faults

932E ALC-System defect
Hi. I tried but using the Bently Publishers Service Manual I could not fiqure anything out. I believe as mentioned in previous posts that you have crumbled insulation on your electrical wires in the headlight assembly and going over the bump cracked them open. You will need to remove the headlight assembly from car and inspect the wiring and repair if that is the problem.
Do you need pics of the service manual to help you remove the headlight assembly?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
2004 545i with AHL.

Has anyone ever heard of the LED flashing light by the headlight switch BECAUSE the fog light bulbs were replaced with different wattage (80 vs 51) or anything else concerning the fog lights?

My LED just stated flashing... although I cannot recall if it started flashing when I replaced the fog light bulbs.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:30 AM

Mein Auto: E60 530d
Quote:
Hi. I tried but using the Bently Publishers Service Manual I could not fiqure anything out. I believe as mentioned in previous posts that you have crumbled insulation on your electrical wires in the headlight assembly and going over the bump cracked them open. You will need to remove the headlight assembly from car and inspect the wiring and repair if that is the problem.
Do you need pics of the service manual to help you remove the headlight assembly?
Hi , I have the 932E fault reported.
Its only on the ns headlight.
My question is what should I be looking at , the unit connected to the headlight or the LM module inside the car (under the steering wheel)
Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto:
It happened on my 08 535 and too it to dealer. First they said the motor if the lamp is bad and need to be replaced. It was a clip cover in my broken and water got into the wire and it damaged the module. It was $200 to replace module and reset the code at dealer. First they scan and said I need to replace the headlamp assembly cost $3500 each. But after disassembly it just the module. U can order them and install it for $80 but I don't know how to reset message. Hope it help

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 AM

Thumbs up

Thank for the fast reply,
am tending to agree with you that it's the module under the headlight.
The error code also states signal implasable which suggests that the light module is not getting a correct signal. But how can I check without buying a new module.
I took the control module from under the headlight and looked at te pcb.
No obvious problem,no contamination. Put it back together and re ran DIS
But same problem. Wil wait to get one from flea bay.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick 22 View Post
It happened on my 08 535 and too it to dealer. First they said the motor if the lamp is bad and need to be replaced. It was a clip cover in my broken and water got into the wire and it damaged the module. It was $200 to replace module and reset the code at dealer. First they scan and said I need to replace the headlamp assembly cost $3500 each. But after disassembly it just the module. U can order them and install it for $80 but I don't know how to reset message. Hope it help

Your posting isn't very cohesive. Please clarify.

What dealer did you go to?

What was the cost for the dealer to replace and recode the module? This was for one headlamp or for both headlamps?

Thank you for your post!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto:
BMW dealer was replaced my module and recoded for $200 each.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:08 AM

Just a quick update.
My adaptive lights throw an error 932C on Dis, and using Inpa to get the lights swivel left and right. I could see the right light move but not the left.
I have tried swapping the SMC 6496934836 from the right hand light to the left hand light but this time both lights will not work, so I think its something to do with coding.
am trying to replace the controller 64934122 first as its the cheapest., I should have tried moving the steeper motor, but forgot, so will try that next time lights are out Unless the controller works .
Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick 22 View Post
BMW dealer was replaced my module and recoded for $200 each.

Danke Schon!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 AM

Time once again to attempt a fix...

I've had the flashing green LED / no adaptive headlights for a while now. Thankfully, the headlights are pointed in the correct direction, so it's been not too much a concern.

I am attempting once again to figure this out. I've reviewed the PDF on adaptive headlights and from I can see, there are 3 (types) of modules that control the actions of the adaptive headlights. The AHL (Auto Headlight Controller), located behind the glove box; the Light Module, located behind the light switch and the Stepper Motor Controller, located under each headlight assembly.

Would it make any sense in that since neither one of my headlights moves at any time, it would be less likely that I have a failed SMC (one or both sides) and more likely that I have a failed LM or AHL? How can I whittle this down to find the culprit?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:25 PM

Hi,
In my case, I used INPA and in test mode, I could se that the left headlight would not move side to side, so I purchased :
the stepper motor control, (pn 6 934 836 )
The adaptive light module ( pn 6934122 )
and even a stepper motor. ( though this was not needed)
Non of these have helped. I have not purchased a light module. I think its pn 61359192641 which I think holds car mileage etc so might be difficult to set up.
I also have a fault with my active steering. The stealers said that these two were related.
However they also claimed to have fixed the problem, I have come to realise , BMW build cars for the dealers not the public. So I wish you all the best in sorting the fault out.
Only advise I can give you is DIY , all parts are readily available, just needs patience. Don't go to dealers.

Let me know how you get on
Old 09-14-2014, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Either pay 200 bucs and replace the module or have it coded out. they won't move but oh well error is gone as well. that's what I did
Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 AM

INPA Test Mode... How to

I have INPA installed on my laptop along with a OBD II / USB cable. I have played with INPA for a little bit. I have not been able to find Test Mode. It is possible that the program is corrupt and not working correctly. I can clear codes.

Can you briefly explain how to run INPA in Test Mode to test the lamp modules?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmastra View Post
Hi,
In my case, I used INPA and in test mode, I could se that the left headlight would not move side to side, so I purchased :
the stepper motor control, (pn 6 934 836 )
The adaptive light module ( pn 6934122 )
and even a stepper motor. ( though this was not needed)
Non of these have helped. I have not purchased a light module. I think its pn 61359192641 which I think holds car mileage etc so might be difficult to set up.
I also have a fault with my active steering. The stealers said that these two were related.
However they also claimed to have fixed the problem, I have come to realise , BMW build cars for the dealers not the public. So I wish you all the best in sorting the fault out.
Only advise I can give you is DIY , all parts are readily available, just needs patience. Don't go to dealers.

Let me know how you get on
Old 09-14-2014, 02:19 PM

Hi
just got back, so will provide full details tomorrow
Old 09-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Hi
here is the INPA set up to go into the active light test mode.
Once INPA is running
Select your car model, ( as my car is an E60 , I select the F6 key at the bottom of the page)
Then select body ( pic 1)
Then select adaptive light control ( pic 2)
Then select activate ( F6 key) ( pic 3)
Finally Freedom of control ( I think it was F4 but there is only one Freedom key)
You will then get a screen ( pic 4) which updates as the lights move side to side. In my case the left hand lights are still whilst the right moves from side to side.
I hope this helps.
Rgds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Active 1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	464641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Active 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	464642   Click image for larger version