Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 740
Certified Pre-owned not so certified!

I recently purchased a 2009 Pre-Owned CERTIFIED 740 w 20,000 miles from Holman BMW in Mount Laurel, NJ. After picking up the car in November 2012, within 2 weeks, a caution signal alerted that there was a "drive train malfunction"; kinda scary when you have 3 young children in the car on the highway. I brought it in to the dealer immediately and they said they fixed it. Long story short, it wasnt fixed and i brought it back to service 2 more times before january 10 (I started to now wonder and maybe understand the mystery of why a 4 year old car only had 20,000 miles on it). I still dont know what drive-train malfunction means but it must be serious as it seemed to bog down the transmission.

I told the dealer I didnt want the car and that I wanted my deposit refunded. They said they would have to take the matter up with BMW NorthAmerica. After doing so, BMW NorthAmerica and Dealer told me the car is fixed and I am obligated under the Note I signed to BMW Financial. The collection calls and notices have started. I was told that if i wanted to get out of the vehicle and into another, that i would have to absorb a $20,000 loss on the vehicle!! Why i asked, and how after 6 weeks, is there such a substantial loss? Stunnigly, they said the market had dropped on the 7 series resale market and that the loss was mine not theres?? That was half of the loss, the other half was they want me to eat the maintanance plan and GAP insurance i bought on the car i dont want, this part was truly amazing because BMW said that i couldnt transfer that into another vehicle.

So now i am waiting for BMW financial to sue me for non payment under the note. The amazing part about this story is that this car suffered repeated and substantial malfunction to its core operating stucture after only 6 weeks of ownership. The whole aura of "CERTIFIED PRE OWNED" is a myth in the BMW world when the manufacturer and dealer wash their hands and tell me to suck it up and put my family back in a dangerous vehicle. oh and by the way, i previoulsy leased a 650 from the same dealer--what a way to treat a good customer!!!
Ads by Google
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
You should have examined the particulars of your state`s Lemon Law details *before* going off on this rant....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335d Sport
Just sell it privately or look into other trade-in options at other dealerships, etc... There must be a better way to unload it.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 740
Thanks Fast Bob, of course i looked into lemon law, and it does not apply. so the rant is necessary...
Old 03-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Luxury Series..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
Just sell it privately or look into other trade-in options at other dealerships, etc... There must be a better way to unload it.
That's not really a good way to live...pawn a problem vehicle off onto another person! Why give a potentially dangerous car to someone elses family?

Now, pawning it off on a dealer is a different story!

Last edited by FreddyG; 03-05-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 540iA
Is it still broken or is it now fixed and have you now just changed your mind about the whole thing?

Either way unless lemon law applies (ASK A LAWYER FOR LEGAL ADVICE they may just have a different interpretation and given the $ involved I think the cost is justified) - you signed a contract, so have to pay up.

What kind of warranty was involved - this is your protection, if it breaks again they have to fix it again, simple, though very annoying and why you'll look to sell it before it goes out of warranty.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyG View Post
That's not really a good way to live...pawn a problem vehicle off onto another person! Why give a potentially dangerous car to someone elses family?

Now, pawning it off on a dealer is a different story!
Honestly, since you are going to 'call me out' on living a certain way...is this really even a 'problem, potentially dangerous car'? It has a tranny problem, like thousands of other cars. There isn't really a safety issue here yet, no?

Get rid of the car if you'd (or this owner) like, that is how you get out from under a dangerous INVESTMENT, not dangerous car. Trade it in at another dealer if you like but either way this car is going to see another owner. Better if the money goes to you and not the dealer as the middleman (again).

Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Luxury Series..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
Honestly, since you are going to 'call me out' on living a certain way...is this really even a 'problem, potentially dangerous car'? It has a tranny problem, like thousands of other cars. There isn't really a safety issue here yet, no?

Get rid of the car if you'd (or this owner) like, that is how you get out from under a dangerous INVESTMENT, not dangerous car. Trade it in at another dealer if you like but either way this car is going to see another owner. Better if the money goes to you and not the dealer as the middleman (again).
I wasn't "Calling you out". I'm just referring to what you said, and didn't agree with it. That's all. That's just my opinion, just as you have yours, but I do understand your point.

I'm not making any statements on you as a person either because I don't know you and the only one that has the right to judge is the Good Lord (or Judge Judy ).

My point is that if the car breaks down, with your family in it, in a not so good area, or in bad weather, then it is not reliable and potentially dangerous. It doesn't matter if you have roadside assistance or not. Things can happen and if you can prevent them, that's a good thing. That's why I didn't agree with your statement of selling it to an individual.

Peace!