Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
Battery discharging while stopped

Anyone get this fault on the screen? What was the cause?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Mike this was one of the messages I also had during my experience recounted (in the thread to which I pointed you yesterday) but forgot to include. You did not provide any of the conditions (weather, driving pattern, vehicle operation etc) leading up to your symptoms so I will assume you have a low charge on your battery.

If you shut off the ignition, several loads are still powered up for 8 minutes until shutting down automatically. These are draining the battery and,in my case, I already had a weak battery (as I described in the other thread that led to its replacement). I am now hitting the Start/Stop button a second time immediately after shutting off the engine to minmize these 'discharge cycles' as they are called (and are recorded by your key fob to rat you out to your Service Advisor when he plugs it in at his desk).

I believe that, like me, all your symptoms are linked to a low battery charge that your driving pattern is not correcting via regenerative braking. If you have a battery charger or can borrow one see if a good, long charge can clear your symptoms. If not, then your battery may be just like mine and a candidate for replacement under warranty.

Once you achieve a fully-charged battery, I would help maintain it that way using a trickle charger (solar and/or electric) if you don't drive enough to keep it fully-charged.

I hope that this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by Fish23; 01-26-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the information Fish. I do have a charger with which I will try to charge the battery.
Did you charge it thru the trunk or the engine compartment? The condition is most likely caused by a combination of my not putting enough millage on the car and the cold weather. However, this is my second winter with the car and I did not have any issue last year. Perhaps there is a problem with the battery. I will charge it and see.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 PM

You are most welcome. This is my first winter wuth my GT but in comparing this winter to last year's where I live, it has been much colder this year. If the same holds for you then that may explain why you had no issues last year.

The owner's manual suggests that any charging be done in the engine compartment which I do. To the rear and on the left (as you face the windshield) is a red rubber cap which you can flip open under which you will find the positive teminal. Toward the front and to the left you will see a similar-sized nut (as the positive one) that is attached to the vehicle's body. That is your negative terminal.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM

Thanx again. Battery is charging as I type this.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 AM

No thanks needed, really. I am just happy to 'repay' in kind for the excellent GT information from which I have learned in this forum that is not covered in the Owner's Manual and for which GT'ers in warmer climates are not likely to experience for sharing.

I hope a good charge resolves your issue. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Since I retired, the majority of my drives are fairly short. As a result, I try to remember to put my trickle charger on to ensure the battery stays topped up if I'm not planning on going anywhere for awhile.

I've never had a really definitive discussion about the charge logic on the GT. I know it shows on the instrument gauge primarily only when braking, but set on cruise on the interstate for hours, it must need to charge the battery at least sometimes...just not sure how and when it decides to do that. I will say that even with a new (last month) battery, the charger I have shows 25%, but quickly goes to 100% after less than 15-minutes or so, so it's not deeply discharged. Maybe it's a function of the charge point being in the engine bay, but the battery is 15-ft of wire away.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM

I brought the battery charge up to about 80% (ran out of time) and the warning display doesn't come up. I will charge it to 100% in the next day or so.
I am confused about how the normal vehicle charging works. I thought the regenerative charging thru the breaking cycle only adds to the overall charge. I thought that the main charging was from the alternator. If so, Jad's cruising on the interstate should have easily charged the battery to full.
Can someone let us know how the charging system works.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM

The alternator has a clutch similar to an a/c compressor on this vehicle. The computer only activates the alternator when it wants (or needs?) to, otherwise, it's just freewheeling. My question is when does it actually engage the clutch to charge the battery? I know it is doing it when the dash indicator says, but cruising down the interstate, I've never seen that come on. I have seen it come on once when coasting down a long hill and at the same time, while on cruise, it downshifted to keep the car from exceeding the setpoint (which surprised me!). That's only happened once, but I don't go that way often, and then, can only use the cruise when there's not much traffic.

Well, to be honest, on an alternator, they could control it by adjusting the field current, but I think I remember reading somewhere that it has a clutch.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 01-29-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
I sold my 2011 535xiGT a year ago just because of the low voltage problem at 9K miles. Could not keep the battery charged even here in Southern CA and the dealer postulated that the vehicle needed to be driven an "average" of 37 miles per day to keep the battery charged. Heck, I even got warnings after a 400 mile trip! I'd get all sorts of warnings from "car will not start if stopped" to "overheating" to "Differential failure" to many more. Dealer kept car several times for two days and no fix. Car was totally unreliable and BMW never could figure it out. Funny thing is that I got a call a week after I sold it to a Ford dealer and the local BMW dealer had towed it in and wanted to know what I wanted them to do with it! LOL. I really, really wanted to tell them!

As a sad aside, my wife's 2010 GT with just 7K miles had some intermittent left turn signal issues that seemed to self-resolve. She went in today for an oil change and someone must have disconnected the battery, Radio stations all gone, left signal no longer works, warnings on vertical headlight adjusters out, adaptive headlights out, and more. All from a trip to the dealer. Thay have the car back and will likely have it for an extended time as they have no idea what's wrong. their wonder diagnostic machine can't find a fault and even if it can, they're certain they won't have parts.

Good old German uber engineering at work.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:18 AM

After charging my battery to full via charger, I again got the "Battery discharging while stopped" warning. Brought the car to service who checked electrical system and recharged the battery. Two days later I get ""Battery heavily discharged" warning. Brought it back in and this time they changed the battery. It's been one week now and everything still normal. I sure hope things stay that way.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is / 11 535Xi GT
Had similar problem on my Z4. Ended up being diagnosed as a bad battery. Never had any problem since the battery was replaced two months ago.
2009 Z4 30i Space Gray (retired)
2011 Z4 35is Space Gray
2011 535i GT xDrive Space Gray
Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
had the same issue with one of my x5s, bad battery replaced never had it again...

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 03-01-2013, 12:35 PM

So far on my new battery I have had no problems either but I carefully manage my electrical load making sure
I always push the Start/Stop button twice before locking the car. I also turn off the seat heater once my butt is
warm and turn off the rear window defroster once the window is clear. I trickle charge if the temperature goes down past -15C/0F or if I will be away for two days or more. After reading magnumforc's farewell post today I can't help wondering if two new batteries in the family's
GTs would have solved much, if not all, of his problems.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Brand new battery today for the 2010, on the way home from dealership same problems again. Vehicle will now have to go back to dealership on Monday for several more days of testing. Another week lost

Maybe BMW makes great cars but can't fix them worth a darn.Spouse is so disgusted she wants out of the GT and into another brand. Not good for BMW sales.

Last edited by magnumforc; 03-01-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM

Fish, Although I'm sure your winters are colder than mine, my first winter with the GT had no electrical issues and I did not follow any special procedure. This battery episode started 18 months into the car life. I am not planning to do anything special to "prolong" the battery charge on this new battery. We will see if it was just a faulty battery or poor electronic design.
I do agree that a new battery might have solved Magnumforc's issues. Too bad the service dept. didn't pay more attention to an important customer. It is much more costly for any company to acquire a new customer than to keep an existing one.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:37 AM

My issues started at about 22 months of the vehicle's service and 10 months of my ownership during my first real winter experience.

My two "Drivetrain Error / Low battery Charge now " episodes caused me to learn a lot about the battery charging system supplemented nicely by input from fellow GTers in this forum. My measures are not aimed so much at prolonging the battery as they are at ensuring that I am not surprised when I go to start the vehicle.

This is my first experience with an AGM battery and a vehicle that has so many features that depend on power. Given that the design intentionally shuts down what are pre-determined as non-essential systems to preserve starting power I wouldlove to be able to understand electrical system architecture and the vehicle's resultant software program.

I can understand frustration felt by magnumforc and his wife. That a new battery did not cure the many disprate issues on their 2010 GT makes wonder if the vehicle's software program is somehow at fault. If I was the SA I would want to "format the disc" and reload a certfied new program to basically start from "zero baseline" and see what happens. If nothing changed then I would suspect some kind of physical wiring issue that would be difficult to pinpoint unfortunately.

Given that he had issues with his 2011 as well I also wonder if they live close to any High Voltage transmission lines that may have induced program changes in the software that affected his vehicles and that is beyond the box in which the dealers' service departments can't address. If you are reasing this mag, has any of the above theory been considered?

It has always been my experience that all dealers are not "created equal" when it comes to service and for mag it seems that dealer service skill may be one of the planets that has aligned to place him where he is today, a place where mostly all of the rest of us do not find ourselves.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is / 11 535Xi GT
I kind of agree with Fish. What are the odds of getting two lemons with electrical issues when so many others appear to have no problems? I myself was very very annoyed at one of the local dealership who kept on blaming me for my low voltage issues and kept on telling me that they would not change the battery. I just went to another dealership and voila... Problem resolved. Not all SA are equal and that first dealership lost my business for treating me like I was an total idiot. Funny thing is they show up on the excellence best dealership award... I wonder what criteria they go by. Certainly not customer satisfaction of the service department.
2009 Z4 30i Space Gray (retired)
2011 Z4 35is Space Gray
2011 535i GT xDrive Space Gray
Old 03-02-2013, 09:54 PM

Latest update. Have the BMW Battery Tender 1.25 amp charger (from BMW yesterday) so charged the battery for 8 hours today and viola...the issues magically disappeared. Checked the battery voltage and it was 12.72 volts. Returned the battery to charge for an additional 6 hours and battery now charged to 13.30 volts. The automatic battery tender didn't shut off or go to trickle charge. I started checking and immediately following the 13.30 volt reading, the voltage began to ever so slowly drop, and in 5 minutes had dropped to 13.14 volts. Within 90 minutes it had dropped to 13.05 volts, or a quarter voit. Nothing had been turned on, the keys were 75 feet away, no door opened, no lights on, nada. So something is slowly draining the battery as tha car sits. Tomorrow will be interesting as I check it to see the overnight drop, and then every few hours to see how much it drops and at what point the gremlins might reappear. It's going back to BMW on Monday in any case as there is definitely something wrong in Bimmerville. As long as they keep giving the spouse that M5 for a loaner.....just kidding.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM

It can take up to about 3-hours for a battery to 'settle' after a charge and prior to that, could see something up to the mid 13-volt range, depending on the charger, so anything you read before that point is misleading. An AGM battery is fully charged when it reads in the range of 12.72-12.90vdc after settling. This also depends on the temperature...the lower the temperature, the lower the voltage. That indicated is for 'nominal' room temperature of 68-degrees (the international standard for 'room' temperature). Now, put the vehicle under some load, and that voltage could drop a little (or maybe a lot if the load is high). What would be more interesting would be to monitor the current leaving the battery with an ammeter.

Keep in mind, a high quality DMM might have an accuracy of <1%, but it's not unusual to have it be 2-3x or more (5% on a cheap one is not unheard of) as the price comes down and the time since calibration (if it ever was done well or at all) has occurred.

Then, consider that unless you take the floor up in the trunk, you're measuring in the engine compartment which is probably at least 12' of cable, and a couple of connectors from the actual battery, which can drop the voltage as much as a couple of tenth's of a volt when everything's perfect.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
It can take up to about 3-hours for a battery to 'settle' after a charge and prior to that, could see something up to the mid 13-volt range, depending on the charger, so anything you read before that point is misleading. An AGM battery is fully charged when it reads in the range of 12.72-12.90vdc after settling. This also depends on the temperature...the lower the temperature, the lower the voltage. That indicated is for 'nominal' room temperature of 68-degrees (the international standard for 'room' temperature). Now, put the vehicle under some load, and that voltage could drop a little (or maybe a lot if the load is high). What would be more interesting would be to monitor the current leaving the battery with an ammeter.

Keep in mind, a high quality DMM might have an accuracy of <1%, but it's not unusual to have it be 2-3x or more (5% on a cheap one is not unheard of) as the price comes down and the time since calibration (if it ever was done well or at all) has occurred.

Then, consider that unless you take the floor up in the trunk, you're measuring in the engine compartment which is probably at least 12' of cable, and a couple of connectors from the actual battery, which can drop the voltage as much as a couple of tenth's of a volt when everything's perfect.
I appreciate your expertise for sure. What I am finding is that it is apparent that BMW either did not charge the "new" battery when they installed it or the vehicle is sucking juice out of the battery like crazy faster than it can be fed by the "inefficient dynamics" scheme that BMW has initated. If BMW had replaced the battery as stated, and it was up to required voltage, it seems incomprehensible that the voltage could drop precipitously to the point where electronics would fail due to low voltage during a less than 15 minute drive home from the dealer in 70 degree weather. And, then find that by charging the battery for 8 hours at 1.25 amps, the electrical faults magically disappear. And that BMW can't find the source of the problem with their multi-thousands of dollars of wonderful electronic diagnostics and "trained" technicians.

Thus, we shopped for a Range Rover this weekend. Not that that will be the end all of all vehicle problems, but I haven't heard they have these electrical issues. After two of these 535 Gt's, we're about tired of the story about the electrical systems not being able to keep up with the needs of tha car and the requirements for a charger to be tethered to the vehicle. The recent explanation that the battery wears down incrementally and with all the wonderful electronics in the car, it will never tell you it's going to have a problem...so even after 400 miles of driving, and the battery allegedly charging, you can have the same issue. Brilliant engineering? Not in my book.

I wonder how people feel when others see they have to keep their 75K vehicle on charge so it will start in 70 degree weather? Foolish? Idiotic? No, I just tell my neighbors it's a BMW and fewer of them will even consider buying one. They see the light...or maybe the dimming as it were.

Cheers and be safe out there.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 PM

I probably should have labeled this "Battery Failure When Driving". Just an update on the status of our discharging 2010 GT. It was well charged on Monday morning reading 13.06 volts at 0700, and a charging voltage of 14.37 volts. We drove it to the BMW dealer which is a distance of about 12.2 miles. Tested the battery when we arrived at BMW and it was down to 12.23 volts when stopped, but would charge at 14.41 volts when restarted. Service manager also checked battery and stated the voltage was by then at the "tipping point" where if we had driven another mile or two, the battery would not have supported the electronics and we would have started to see warnings. Looks like you have to do your own basic troubleshooting and diagnostics!

Scenario is correct as when we drove home on Friday we actually drove about two miles further (stopped for gas and then fast food) and the warning lights all came on.

Service called yesterday (Monday) and stated they believe vehicle needs headlight module but has to be ordered, should be in today, but as usual, they never called to keep us updated. So, we have no idea whether it arrived or not, nor if that is actually the problem. Facts are they do not have repair parts in stock for most of the electrical/electronic issues, so if they discover this is not the issue, the vehicle will sit and wait. Again.

We'll see how this plays out. I can say this is my wife's car and she's a 100% Irish redhead. So, as her temper rises, I have little desire to go to the dealer with her. It's like accompanying the IRA on a strafing run through Belfast!

Last edited by magnumforc; 03-05-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 AM

There are good and bad things about the wiring and control of modern cars...the old ones generally relied on actually switching the functions on and off by interrupting the voltage to them. Today, this is rarely the case. There's a computer that does it by taking an input signal from the switch which then talks to the module actually controlling the device we want to interact with. This means that generally, you can use microswitches that do not need heavy duty contacts and wires interconnecting them to the device. It also means that some things need to be listening so that they can react to the request and that switch itself needs power so it can generate the desired command. As a result, there are many modules that must listen to the computer bus when the car is shut down, get the command that the vehicle is now off, then shut themselves down.

An example of what I'm talking about is a CANbus activated trailer wiring interface module I recently installed. As an aftermarket item, it has some diagnostic LEDs on it so you can fathom out what's going on. It takes it about 10-15 seconds after you shut the vehicle off before it shuts itself down. Any one module that doesn't get the shutdown request, could, after time, discharge the battery. While an AGM battery lasts longer than a normal lead-acid car battery on deep discharge, no battery really likes to be deep cycled very much, and eventually, that will require replacement (hopefully, after you've discovered what isn't shutting down or is drawing more current than it should). Another example of a switch doing lots of things...think of the old headlight switch - a bunch of heavy wires and significant current going through it. The one on our GT has a 3 or 4 24g or so wires going into it. I've replaced mine with the one that provides the rear fog light functionality. So, there are the headlights, taillights, front/rear fogs all controlled by a little chip and the vehicle computer all through a few VERY small wires.

Any intermittent connection could allow one of the 'receivers' to miss the vehicle shutdown request. Just a little misrouting, chafing, dirty connection, could add enough noise to the data bus so that the digital message doesn't always get through. It's sort of a miracle that the things work as they do, but everything needs to be working as a system...finding the offending item can sometimes be tough if the computer doesn't see it. Today's car techs need a good computer/digital background to resolve this, and while the manufacturer's computer test device may be good, it can't find everything...the computer in the guys head is what makes the difference, and finding a good one can be tough!

So far (nearly two years), I like my vehicle...and will hopefully still like it for a fairly long time to come. I like to keep my cars for 6-8 years. Whether this one will fall into that trend or not is still yet to be seen.

Hope they can resolve your issue and restore your confidence in the vehicle's operation.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550I GT
Scotty from Star Trek said it the best. "The more they complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain".
Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 35i, 2013 535iGT
When the battery drained in our Z4 and had to be recharged, I was told to always lock the car. That way it goes to sleep. We were not locking the car in the garage and that apparently was our problem. No issues since we started locking it.