Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: X3
As I reported earlier my brand new X3 experienced a catastrophic fail with the windshield fluid pump stuck on due to faulty junction box electronics. The dealer removed the fuse as a stopgap which means I can't lock the vehicle, I can't open the rear hatch and I have no way to clean the front windshield. I have been waiting since 1/25 for replacement parts and dealer nor bmw has provided a date. Anyone else having a similar experience? At this point I'm frustrated beyond belief and have my patience has been exhausted.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Well that totally sucks. Did they provide a loaner?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 PM

Have the same issue with my X3, dealer told me it will take 10 business days to get replacement part from Germany.
Dealer provided me with the loaner car for that time
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM

The dealer I brought my X3 for service to did not provide or offer a loaner, but the dealer where I got the X3 gave go ahead to get a rental until my X3 is fixed. The most recent update from BMWNA is that the parts were supposedly shipped from Germany on 2/22, but they are unable to provide a delivery date....I find it unbelievable that BMW is incapable of determining when parts will be delivered in the internet world in which we live. As it stands I meet criteria for invoking both MA and VT lemon laws. I am totally disappointed with the customer service BMWNA has provided. This is my fifth BMW but this experience has destroyed all loyalty. 41 days and counting with my X3 has been out of service (all of 920 miles when the failure occurred).
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
"As it stands I meet criteria for invoking... MA... lemon law..."
-> Offhand, do you know the short summary of the criteria?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Here is online reference http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer/a...lemon-law.html A substantial repair attempted 3 or more times or any substantial defect or combination that total 15 or more business days.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
The dreaded "washer fluid pump" issue surfaced this morning on the way to work, the rear nozzle kept splaying until there was no more fluid left. The pump kept making noise even after I locked the X3. Came back in an hour, and there wasn't any noise, but as soon as I unlocked it, the pump was very loud. So I locked it again, and walked away, with the pump still making a racket. Called Service Department, they took a message, and will call me back. We've had the X3 for 3 1/2 months... I'll update once I hear back.

Update - picked up the car today, the dealership replaced windshield washer fluid pump, and some electrics which caused it to run non-stop. They also cleaned the car JMK BMW, nice job!

Last edited by Roundel-NY; 03-26-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Retired my X5 4.4i a couple of weeks ago and thinking about getting a crossover SUV. X3 or Audi Q5 seem reasonable choices. Don't like Audi's (too effeminate to my taste) so was leaning toward X3 and doing some background research. Very disappointing to hear about the washer fluid pump problem. Other issues such as transmission failsafe have also been reported. This reminds me too much of my X5, which, in repair costs over 8+ years, would have probably gotten a 3-series with a little bit of exaggeration. For those who've had the X3 for a while, am I likely to be in for chronic headaches that are gonna waste my time and $$$? My dealer is pretty good, but I'm on first name basis with their mechanics which is not a good thing. Couldn't find similar reliability postings about Audi Q5 so am a bit conflicted. Any comments from X3 owners would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I have a 2011 X3 (first year of production for the next generation) and have had zero major issues. The only thing I have had is a screeching drivers side window (when putting it up or down) that they can't seem to resolve. Other than that, the X3 has been flawless. The washer pump issue was only on the 2013 model. I have not seen it reported on any other of the MY's.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
I have a 2011 X3 (first year of production for the next generation) and have had zero major issues. The only thing I have had is a screeching drivers side window (when putting it up or down) that they can't seem to resolve. Other than that, the X3 has been flawless. The washer pump issue was only on the 2013 model. I have not seen it reported on any other of the MY's.
Thanks for the comments. To clarify what constitutes "major" and "minor" since your experience pertains to "major issues," in my case, the X5 did not have "major issues." Fine engine, car is fundamentally sound. However, SEL coming on with various emissions problems that the techies have difficulty pinning down (car drives fine), transmission fail safe coming on (only once with the car limping in mid-gear, other times the car drives fine), etc. are the types of problems that I'm referring to. You mention a screeching driver side window. Unless you keep your windows closed most of the time, I don't see how this constitutes a "minor" problem that can be ignored. On a $40K+ vehicle?

If the car's a lemon, or near-lemon, you can take clear-cut actions. But dependability is, unless I'm mistaken, not really about lemons which are catastrophic failures. When the problems are minor but chronic ones that drain time and money, then it gets on your nerve.

As a driver, I love my X5 V8. Tons of power, gurgling V8 engine, sturdy as a tank. That's why I kept it 8+ years. I'm willing to spend the dough to fix problems. The problem is they are not often fixed the first, second, or third time around.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernm3 View Post
Thanks for the comments. To clarify what constitutes "major" and "minor" since your experience pertains to "major issues," in my case, the X5 did not have "major issues." Fine engine, car is fundamentally sound. However, SEL coming on with various emissions problems that the techies have difficulty pinning down (car drives fine), transmission fail safe coming on (only once with the car limping in mid-gear, other times the car drives fine), etc. are the types of problems that I'm referring to. You mention a screeching driver side window. Unless you keep your windows closed most of the time, I don't see how this constitutes a "minor" problem that can be ignored. On a $40K+ vehicle?

If the car's a lemon, or near-lemon, you can take clear-cut actions. But dependability is, unless I'm mistaken, not really about lemons which are catastrophic failures. When the problems are minor but chronic ones that drain time and money, then it gets on your nerve.

As a driver, I love my X5 V8. Tons of power, gurgling V8 engine, sturdy as a tank. That's why I kept it 8+ years. I'm willing to spend the dough to fix problems. The problem is they are not often fixed the first, second, or third time around.
I've had none of the things you mentioned happened as of yet. As for the screeching window, I say it isn't major only because they replaced the guide rails a year ago and it fixed it but now it has come back again. They tried to say it was because the windows are "too clean". Give me a break. It's going back in next week for a second attempt to fix it permanently. I just don't think they have a clue what to do with it. Otherwise, I've only had the car in for oil changes and its yearly service visit. Good luck with your decision
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
I've had none of the things you mentioned happened as of yet. As for the screeching window, I say it isn't major only because they replaced the guide rails a year ago and it fixed it but now it has come back again. They tried to say it was because the windows are "too clean". Give me a break. It's going back in next week for a second attempt to fix it permanently. I just don't think they have a clue what to do with it. Otherwise, I've only had the car in for oil changes and its yearly service visit. Good luck with your decision
Thanks for your comments and I hope the window problem gets satisfactorily resolved. I completely agree with your sentiments. It's also good to hear you haven't had other problems. Hope it stays that way.

Given the myriad of problems on Q5 mentioned at http://forums.audiworld.com (especially troubling is the carbon buildup problem on their naturally aspirated engines), I'm leaning more towards X3. The prudent thing would be to get a Lexus RX as a colleague of mine recently did (she ditched her 3-series xdrive). But there's a line I won't cross.