Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5 E53
To BMC350i. Your prob has nothing to do with your repair (congratulation btw for a successful DIY).
What you need is to recode your Car/Key memory using NCS Expert.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i /C240/M35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhb View Post
WARNING!
What you get with this is that you wont be able to start your car next time your key runs out of battery.
This coil is used to get energy to the rfid that unlocks the electronic blocking system. When you plug in the key, a signal is sent to the key by the car and the key sends a signal back to the car using part of the energy contained in the signal sent by the car. This energy is collected using, correct me if I'm wrong that shame coil you are removing.

Thanks for the post.
Everything what you said will be correct ONLY for cars after 2000! but I`ve made this DIY for cars from 1996-2000 !!! My key still working great and it was already over 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! + when battery will die I`m will replace battery with new one easy and quick

Last edited by wolf888; 02-22-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Here is a composite that I made from the information in this and other threads, expressly to help explain the diamond key replacement particulars for others, long after we're gone.
(Let me know if it's missing any critical detail.)

EDIT: Removed pointers and screenshots to www.bmwgm5.com/KF_WoS.htm as per PM from scottjoh.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 02-26-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Damaged Key PCB

Hi,

New here, first post of hopefully many.

First question -

Purchased a second hand 318 with no working remote.

The key was all taped up, and once cutting through it all I can see why it doesn't work (picture).

I am in the UK and this is a 433.92 MHz key.

Looking back through this thread I can see that a previous post stated the component (on the left as you look at the picture), is a 22nH coil for a 315MHz key. The post is specific as to the key frequency, so does anyone know what it would be for a 433.92 MHz key?

The component on the right looks to be a capacitor, but what value?

Also the battery was floating around and two of the micro-switches don't work, so they really buggered this one up.

Finally, will this pcb board work in a new key if I get one cut (it's really knackered looking), or is there anything within the plastic molding which assists with the immobilizer?

Thanks all for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332 damage.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	365094  
Old 03-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventysix View Post
The component on the right looks to be a capacitor, but what value?
You might do well by sending the key off to Scott at http://www.bmwgm5.com/key_repair.htm
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
You might do well by sending the key off to Scott at http://www.bmwgm5.com/key_repair.htm
unfortunately this is my only key! and being in the UK...
Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Just need to know the values of the inductor and the cap, I've looked for circuit diagrams but have had no luck
Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventysix View Post
Just need to know the values of the inductor and the cap, I've looked for circuit diagrams but have had no luck
Well, looking at the pictures on this thread, after zooming, I can't even tell 'what' they are (neither looks like an inductor, for example).
Both seem to be connected to the antenna; however, circuit boards can be many levels deep, so all we can 'see' is the top trace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	closeup.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	365383  

Last edited by bluebee; 03-08-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: e39 530i
Diamond key replacement batteyr DIY (NO 56K)

Must use rechargeable battery - Panasonic or equivalent.
It does charge by induction when in the ignition driving.
If cutting fob open do not let blade go deeper than 2 mm.
If the fob won't initialize the new battery may be flat so use it in the car or sit it on a 3 volt source or close to - eg phone charger.
Replacing the battery is not hard just be careful not to damage the PC board and don't overheat the battery when soldering.
www.BMWGM5.com has product and some good advice.
Miles of batteries on eBay.
$300 per key from BMW here. What have you got to loose - have a go.