Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
I have a Ford, I also have a BMW. Both have nav, voice features, etc.

Ford CAN be clunky at times, but overall it is much easier to use. When you add in the fact that Ford has continued to improve their system (mine is a 2011 system purchased in mid 2010), SYNC just blows the BMW system out of the water. Please remember, this is the touch screen/nav based SYNC system. I've also driven a Ford vehicle without nav, but with SYNC, and I would concur that it is horrible when compared to both BMW and Ford Nav based systems.

Now, BMW is a nice car overall, but with just a few minor changes to the drivetrain, I might have purchased a Ford Taurus SHO (needed to be more RWD biased). If I were to choose between a 3 coupe and a Mustang, I might just choose the Mustang. They are different cars for different things and it's a matter of preference. Overall, I purchased the 550 because it did what I wanted it to do better than the others I looked at. I bought by truck for the very same reason. It does what I need/want it to do better than the others I looked at did.

One thing I would encourage everyone to do when looking for your next vehicle is drive the competition. Don't be a brand snob...especially if you love to actually DRIVE your cars. BMW is a great car, but unless you want the car just because it will impress others, don't buy it because it says BMW. Instead, buy your car based on how you feel when driving it. In doing so, you may find that your next love affair will be with an Audi, a Mercedes, a Ford, a Lincoln, a Toyota, or a Mazda....or some other make altogether.
Every Detroit made car my parents owned were POS. Mercury, Oldsmobiles, and a few others. My only problem car was a Volvo- after Ford bought them! It would be hard to convince me to buy another. I will admit the weakness of my BMW is the navigation, but that's okay. No car made in Detroit can compare to the driving and luxury experience BMW offers. Mustangs are rattly junk cars! How can you compare that to a 5 series? You can certainly walk into a Ford dealership with a T-Shirt, jeans and Birkenstocks and be treated more kindly than the BMW dealer will treat you.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
Radarguy's post just about sums it up from my perspective. I've had three e39s (1997, 2000, 2002), but not V8s, and they were completely different than my new F10.

BTW...Be sure to test-drive an F10 with DHP before you make your final choice. The DHP's uto roll stabilization and electronic dampeners are a must for this car. Set and configure them to sport+ (for chassis and drivetrain) and drive it! Thats the best the F10 will get (handling wise) in stock form.

Otherwise, you might find yourself planning mods (springs, sways, and exhaust) like me just to get back that e 39 feel and sound.
Take this as the biggest warning against the F10. If you are used to a great driving car you will hate the F10. Getting into an E39 or E60 the drive is just great. Having to switch to sport plus or whatever in the new car is stupid. Why do you have to change settings in a new BMW to make it feel like it drives well? In the end it still drives like poop. If your car is still nice and drivable do not give it up. I would pay big money to get my original E60 back and even more for a new E39. dont do it.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Good stuff here. Women do a better job of dressing their social class better than we men do.
Whether shopping for a luxury car or upscale clothes it's always a good idea to dress up and not down. People snap to attention when I arrive in my business suit.
I actually disagree with that. It all depends on your energy and how you carry yourself. Also, I've walked into M-B, Porsche and BMW dealerships looking how I look ("alternative" style I guess one can say, I don't even own a suit I don't think) and gotten just as serous attention as when I've walked into Ford dealerships. IMO it's the guy who can get people to treat them seriously without going the more pandering routes, i.e dressed-to-impress that really impresses me personally. I always thought it was cool and intriguing/curiosity inspiring to see someone who looks like they "don't care" (actually let's say more "artistic" in a non-trying-hard way) hop into an expensive Luxury Car, while you wouldn't do a double take to see a guy in a suit get into a BMW or Benz (i.e it's more expected), etc. Based on my own experiences, I feel this plays out with others viewpoints toward the same subject as well.

My Brother looks like a full blown Rock Star, one day he was borrowing an actual famous Rock Star's Porsche Panamera, and man you shoulda seen the looks of intrigued and seeming "impressed" attention he was getting.

Now, mind you, this isn't to criticize those who go the more professional and/or over-dress route, as again it's all about how you carry yourself. My Dad is Mr. Suit, has some of the nicest professional wardrobes I've seen and people regard him very highly even upon first impression, but he's a genuine and stand up guys, which IMO is what really counts.

.... I don't know how we got to this subject but I guess I felt like rambling as this is a subject that intrigues me.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 02-23-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana19 View Post
Glad that I'm not the only person who sees the E34 to F10 connection - I am biased since my first car (which I still have) was an E34 but I absolutely love the parallels between the designs of the two vehicles separated by wholly two decades. I did have a brief E39 stint, and strongly agree that the F10 looks more like a successor to the E39 than the E60.

I know there are many E39 owners who also have F10s but I have a feeling I am one of very few F10 owners who also owns an E34.
Nice! Yeah, I think people focus on how much of the E39's spirit the F10 brought back, that they overlook just how much of the E34's spirit it harkens to as well.

Man, the E34's were all around my life when I was growing up. My best friends had one (hand me down, 540i green with white interior, lucky punk ), my older brother had a green with tan interior E34 525i with a 5-Speed and one that replaced his previous '88 5-Series, both of which I rode in numerously and have tons of memories of in my childhood. His E34 was the first Manual I ever drove.

Then, I passed (after failing the first two) my driving test in my Mom's black E34 525i with white interior. I did most all of my driving-practice in that car.

The 5er just flows through my bloodline.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
The E39 was one of the biggest home runs of any modern mass produced car, as well as perhaps the highest on the "modern classic" Sedan totem pole.

I used to drive my Mom's every now and then when I was younger and dreaming of one day being able to afford my own (hers was a 528i, noticeably underpowered but that distinctive I6 sound and feel was always engrained in my blood and man was it smooth), and I do remember it feeling a bit more connected than my F10....

.... but speaking relative to time (i.e, basically every car nowadays is quieter, bigger and softer than its forefathers), I really feel like the spirit of the E39 in terms of design at least has been recaptured by the F10. My Mom had an E60 after her E39 and it gave me no impressions of the spirit of the E39.

The interior of the F10 is very elegant and premium, just like the E39, the lines are smooth and the car has a balanced essence of finesse that teeters the lines of sportiness and stateliness that I feel the E39 also captured during its time.

I feel that in overall refinement, the F10 captures the E39 during its time and then some, but as far as driving I'm sure those longing for the E39 feel will find it massive, soft and floatier.

As for a universal judgement of car Vs car in the appliance Vs appliance sense, the F10 is a vastly superior automobile, as of course it should be, considering it is essentially an 15+ year evolution of the E39.
Well-said. (I had three E39s, but just couldn't stomach the looks of the E60, so I went to Threes until the F10 charmed me back into the Five, and I never looked back.)

To me, my current 550i is what my 540i/6 was 14 years ago -- fast, smooth, elegant, but with a level of capability just below the surface that is astonishing.

Previously...
'11 F10 550i M Sport (ED Aug 1, 2011; US deliv, Sep 12, 2011)
'08 E90 M3
'07 E92 335i: ordered Nov '06; delivered Jan '07, totaled Sep '08.
'02 E39 M5: June 2002 - June 2007
'00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i + VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i, E60528i
no love for the E60?

I might be the ONLY one here with these sentiments but I still have a part of my heart with the E60. Yes, I had three E39s (1997, 2000, 2002) in the past that I drove to over 80K each and enjoyed every single mile. Our 2008 E60, though, is still in the family, still remains my jump-in and go grocery getter. Though only a 528i, it does have sport package, ARS, sport automatic, and Nav system. While the exterior Bangle design of the E60 is subjective (with most people not liking it), much has to be said about BMW bringing technology to the driving public with the introduction of the E60. Things like Active steering, Active Roll Stabilization, Active headlights, and the introduction of RFT (!). For my spirited type of driving, I am still amazed how easily the E60 does it. Nice, lowered and tuned sport suspension, ready right out of the gate (no mods needed). And the RFT? BMW thoughtfully (more like overlooked) the inclusion of a spare tire well with temp tire installed. Yes! So, for some of us, easy peasy upgrade to non RFT on the E60.

The latter years (2008 on) E60 had improved interiors and nicer sheet metal changes (especially M Sport on last MY). Looks aside, the E60 will be should be given credit for dragging us into the technology age of automobiles.

So back to the OP theme. F10 natural evolution of the E39? Maybe, but I don’t think so. The F10 is a “down market” version of the 7 series. A “sporty” version of a luxury sedan. The E39 was a luxury version of a SPORT sedan. The E60 was the less attractive but tech endowed evolution of the E39. Still a SPORT sedan in my book. The F10 is from a whole different planet. That works for me...I’m older now and not so much in a hurry.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I actually disagree with that. It all depends on your energy and how you carry yourself. Also, I've walked into M-B, Porsche and BMW dealerships looking how I look ("alternative" style I guess one can say, I don't even own a suit I don't think) and gotten just as serous attention as when I've walked into Ford dealerships. IMO it's the guy who can get people to treat them seriously without going the more pandering routes, i.e dressed-to-impress that really impresses me personally. I always thought it was cool and intriguing/curiosity inspiring to see someone who looks like they "don't care" (actually let's say more "artistic" in a non-trying-hard way) hop into an expensive Luxury Car, while you wouldn't do a double take to see a guy in a suit get into a BMW or Benz (i.e it's more expected), etc. Based on my own experiences, I feel this plays out with others viewpoints toward the same subject as well.

My Brother looks like a full blown Rock Star, one day he was borrowing an actual famous Rock Star's Porsche Panamera, and man you shoulda seen the looks of intrigued and seeming "impressed" attention he was getting.

Now, mind you, this isn't to criticize those who go the more professional and/or over-dress route, as again it's all about how you carry yourself. My Dad is Mr. Suit, has some of the nicest professional wardrobes I've seen and people regard him very highly even upon first impression, but he's a genuine and stand up guys, which IMO is what really counts.

.... I don't know how we got to this subject but I guess I felt like rambling as this is a subject that intrigues me.

This subject also intrigues me. Much like a previous poster, I find that I get a lot of discrimination for my age. I am 30 and my wife is 29 however we both appear to be in our early 20s and I have been told I look like I just came out of high school lol. I still occasionally get carded at bars. This used to bother me and my wife and I would joke about dressing up and going into dealerships to get more attention. However after turning 30, I am more conscientious of my age and I am flattered when people say I look young.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535i 6MT & '89 535iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swack View Post
This subject also intrigues me. Much like a previous poster, I find that I get a lot of discrimination for my age. I am 30 and my wife is 29 however we both appear to be in our early 20s and I have been told I look like I just came out of high school lol. I still occasionally get carded at bars. This used to bother me and my wife and I would joke about dressing up and going into dealerships to get more attention. However after turning 30, I am more conscientious of my age and I am flattered when people say I look young.
I am in my 20s and have a pretty simple philosophy on this matter. I dress the way that I would normally dress at the time I'm visiting a dealership (if it's during the week I'm probably in business or business casual attire and if it's the weekend I'm in jeans and t-shirts). If I am ignored at the dealership I simply walk away - their loss. Only actually happened once when I was shopping for my F10 (actually at an Audi dealership). At the time I was still experimenting with other brands (I've never liked the idea of being devoted to one brand but it just so happened that BMWs proved to again satisfy my needs better than the other vehicles I drove). After actually requesting a salesperson and being ignored for a solid 15 minutes, I simply left. I ordered my F10 at about invoice less holiday discounts roughly two weeks later from Classic BMW in Plano. Interestingly, I was fully attended to at every BMW dealership I visited (in Dallas in particular, I think they are used to having younger buyers especially considering BMW's shockingly affordable leasing options).