Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 320Ci
DISA won't go back in

I imported the GAS disa o-ring for my 320ci. I spent about an hour pulling the old one out (in pieces), then fit the new one in and now I can't get the disa back inot the intake. I've tried multiple times using sheer strength to push it in using a very thin layer of clean oil on the o-ring, I even tried tightening the disa down hoping it will just slide into place...nothing. The o-ring just seems too "fat". I tried compressing the ring a bit to hopefully flatten it out but that didnt work either. Has anyone had this experience with the GAS o-ring before? Need help any and all ideas are welcome.

Chris
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
I just replaced my disa yesterday, but with oem unit. It fit right in without any issues. So would say there is something up with you o-ring.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Bimmer App
Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
What engine does 320i use? If the 325i and the 330i use different DISA valves, it might be safe to assume the 320i is different from either as well, which might be your problem.
I used the GAS kit with o-ring and had no problems.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
What engine does 320i use? If the 325i and the 330i use different DISA valves, it might be safe to assume the 320i is different from either as well, which might be your problem.
I used the GAS kit with o-ring and had no problems.
It's the same as the 325i even though I have a 2.2L. It's very annoying because now I have to search for a new o-ring and if I can't find one I will have to buy a new disa. Do you know what size it is?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by zQUEz View Post
I just replaced my disa yesterday, but with oem unit. It fit right in without any issues. So would say there is something up with you o-ring.
+1
sorry, ITYS
"Cheating" the system by avoiding just replacing the oem DISA is bad business. We have enough little aggravations with our German motors, no need to add complications at the DISA.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
+1
sorry, ITYS
"Cheating" the system by avoiding just replacing the oem DISA is bad business. We have enough little aggravations with our German motors, no need to add complications at the DISA.
Nothing wrong with repairing a DISA valve with a GAS kit. Like I said before, my installation went without a hitch. Now it is superior to an OEM unit, with no likelihood of that steel pivot pin walking out and getting sucked into the engine. And the o-ring supplied should fit fine. If the OP can fit the o-ring to the DISA valve itself and it seats properly in the groove, then there is something he is not doing correctly upon reassembly if it won't fit. Nobody has ever had any trouble with this. If the old DISA won't go back in a new one won't either.

OP is doing something incorrectly. Reread the instructions and follow them completely.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
[QUOTE=hitbyastick;7431679]Nothing wrong with repairing a DISA valve with a GAS kit. Like I said before, my installation went without a hitch. Now it is superior to an OEM unit, with no likelihood of that steel pivot pin walking out and getting sucked into the engine. And the o-ring supplied should fit fine. If the OP can fit the o-ring to the DISA valve itself and it seats properly in the groove, then there is something he is not doing correctly upon reassembly if it won't fit. Nobody has ever had any trouble with this. If the old DISA won't go back in a new one won't either.

OP is doing something incorrectly. Reread the instructions and follow them completely.[/QUOTE]

OP *is in Australia*, where they have different engines than we get here in US and A....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectStorm01 View Post
now I have to search for a new o-ring and if I can't find one I will have to buy a new disa. Do you know what size it is?
Why not just type /o-ring F3 in the best links?

That comes up with this thread, among many others:
- Where to get just the M54 DISA valve o-ring (1)

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 03-09-2013, 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=Fast Bob;7431706]
Quote:
Nothing wrong with repairing a DISA valve with a GAS kit. Like I said before, my installation went without a hitch. Now it is superior to an OEM unit, with no likelihood of that steel pivot pin walking out and getting sucked into the engine. And the o-ring supplied should fit fine. If the OP can fit the o-ring to the DISA valve itself and it seats properly in the groove, then there is something he is not doing correctly upon reassembly if it won't fit. Nobody has ever had any trouble with this. If the old DISA won't go back in a new one won't either.

OP is doing something incorrectly. Reread the instructions and follow them completely.[/QUOTE]

OP *is in Australia*, where they have different engines than we get here in US and A....
I tried to raise the spectre of a mismatched o-ring in my original response but nobody would take heed. I think some photos of OP's DISA valve might help us help him.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
Quote:
The o-ring just seems too "fat". I tried compressing the ring a bit to hopefully flatten it out but that didnt work either. Has anyone had this experience with the GAS o-ring before? Need help any and all ideas are welcome.
PerfectStorm01,

We have sold hundreds of these kits throughout the world and have not had a problem. The o-ring is very carefully sized for the M54 DISA housing. There must be something else going on. If you are able, please post a photo of the unit with o-ring installed.

You also stated that the old DISA was difficult to remove and came out in pieces. This is very unusual as far as I know. Is there a possibility that part of the old unit is still trapped somewhere in the opening? Another thing to check would be whether some of the molded silicone seal of the original unit has bonded itself to the inside of the manifold opening. If you find that to be the case you should be able to remove it with a Scotchbrite pad, but make sure to wipe out any loose stuff afterward.

There is a fatter version of the o-ring for the M52 engines, but the way these kits are packaged it would be almost impossible to have shipped a kit with the wrong o-ring.

Please email me our use our website contact page if there is anything I can do to help.

Gary

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown
Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Nothing wrong with repairing a DISA valve with a GAS kit. Like I said before, my installation went without a hitch. Now it is superior to an OEM unit, with no likelihood of that steel pivot pin walking out and getting sucked into the engine.
I'm completely good with you using your approach. Really.
But realistically, I've been active on three BMW boards and have heard of a few times where someone referred to the steel pin falling loose. The DISA in this case has to be horribly worn, and even then I've NEVER heard of a single example of the pin falling into the engine. I think this scare is worse than its bite.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary@germanautosolutions View Post
PerfectStorm01,

We have sold hundreds of these kits throughout the world and have not had a problem. The o-ring is very carefully sized for the M54 DISA housing. There must be something else going on. If you are able, please post a photo of the unit with o-ring installed.

You also stated that the old DISA was difficult to remove and came out in pieces. This is very unusual as far as I know. Is there a possibility that part of the old unit is still trapped somewhere in the opening? Another thing to check would be whether some of the molded silicone seal of the original unit has bonded itself to the inside of the manifold opening. If you find that to be the case you should be able to remove it with a Scotchbrite pad, but make sure to wipe out any loose stuff afterward.

There is a fatter version of the o-ring for the M52 engines, but the way these kits are packaged it would be almost impossible to have shipped a kit with the wrong o-ring.

Please email me our use our website contact page if there is anything I can do to help.

Gary
Gary thanks for the post. It is a very good possibility that I ordered the wrong one for my car. My disa didn't come out in pieces just the old orange silicone gasket when I was removing/cleaning it out. My disa is in great shape. I ended up looking all over the place and found an o-ring that fit nice and snug. What o-ring would fit my 2001 320ci? I would still want to replace it with one of yours? I have family coming out in 3 weeks maybe I can have them bring it to Australia!

To the others who provided feedback-the o-ring I bought was just too fat. I cleaned the groove on the disa really well, there was nothing left of the the old ring. I pushed straight into the intake with all my might and couldn't get it in. I made sure the intake was clean and free of debris before trying to slide it in. Let's be real here, there is only one way to put a disa in, right? . Btw, I didn't rebuild my disa, I just replaced the o-ring.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Btw, I didn't rebuild my disa, I just replaced the o-ring
OK, this is a different story. Can you post a picture of the o-ring that you received from us? If you have an order date or order number I can check and see which version you ordered. If the mistake was on our end I need to know so that we can address the issue and make sure you get a refund.

Gary

- unknown
Old 03-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary@germanautosolutions View Post
OK, this is a different story. Can you post a picture of the o-ring that you received from us? If you have an order date or order number I can check and see which version you ordered. If the mistake was on our end I need to know so that we can address the issue and make sure you get a refund.

Gary
Here are the pics and I will PM you my order details.

PM Sent

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-11 11.10.12.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	365773   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-11 11.10.30.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	365774  

Last edited by PerfectStorm01; 03-10-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: PM sent
Old 03-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I'm completely good with you using your approach. Really.
But realistically, I've been active on three BMW boards and have heard of a few times where someone referred to the steel pin falling loose. The DISA in this case has to be horribly worn, and even then I've NEVER heard of a single example of the pin falling into the engine. I think this scare is worse than its bite.
Yup, mine was fine when I removed it, and furthermore I can't see how that pin could end up in the engine unless the thing was destroyed as you pointed out. And how do they get destroyed? What kind of abuse would one have to heap upon the car?

But I bought the kit, it's a great kit. Made very well. What the hey. The O-ring is definitely a good idea to replace, but the rest of the kit is probably more of a feel-good measure.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Yup, mine was fine when I removed it, and furthermore I can't see how that pin could end up in the engine unless the thing was destroyed as you pointed out. And how do they get destroyed? What kind of abuse would one have to heap upon the car?
It's unusual, but they do totally self destruct if left in the vehicle too long after the bell crank lever has worn out. Once the bell crank lever has completely seperated itself from the flapper, the flapper can then get sucked back and forth by manifold pressure pulses. The flapper then acts like a pry bar on the pin, which will eventually break the upper support frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Customer DISA 2.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	365944
Actual photo sent to me by a customer. Hopefully the noise would get your attention before all the pieces let loose.

Gary

- unknown
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I've NEVER heard of a single example of the pin falling into the engine.
I have.

Just type /disa F3 into the best links and this shows up in a split second, for example;
- An example of how a broken DISA valve can ruin your M54 engine (1)

Quote:
What o-ring would fit my 2001 320ci?
Did you read the referenced thread?
Did it not answer the question?

It's my understanding it answers the question for the M52 and the M54.
It even gives you suppliers, and prices, and pictures?

It would be disturbing if the thread, which purports to provide o-ring sizes, didn't provide you the right size for your engine.
What is it missing from that thread that you needed?

Quote:
And how do they get destroyed?
Ample stories abound about how the pin slowly works its way loose are to be found by typing /disa F3 in the best links:
- Where to get a proper DISA valve repair kit (1) & how some jury-rig 'repair' a rattling DISA unit (1) (2) (3) & how the DISA valve operates (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to test DISA operation (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & a simple DIY to install an M54 DISA (1) & a nice DISA autopsy (1) (2) & a great DISA group buy (1) & how the disa valve o-ring fails (1) (2) & how it can reputedly cause all sorts of cold-engine rough idle problems (1) (2) & where to get just the DISA valve o-ring (1) & why you want to check the DISA at 100K miles or whenever the airbox is removed (1) (2) & why the DIfferenzierte SAuganlage ("Differential Air Intake") valve flap breaks (1), sometimes with parts sucked into the intake manifold (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a well documented example of how a broken DISA flap can ruin your engine (1) & yet another seemingly complex set of misfire codes reputedly traced to a broken DISA valve (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.

Last edited by bluebee; 03-11-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

Did you read the referenced thread?
Did it not answer the question?

It's my understanding it answers the question for the M52 and the M54.
It even gives you suppliers, and prices, and pictures?

It would be disturbing if the thread, which purports to provide o-ring sizes, didn't provide you the right size for your engine.
What is it missing from that thread
Nothing was missing. I drove all over the state with the disa oring specs so that I can purchase one. Sometimes getting things in Australia is not as easy as it would be in the US. I lived in the US my entire life so I know how convenient things can be and how many choices you have-it was a big wake up call when I moved here 3 years ago. Btw, in the same post i mentioned that i found one (out of sheer luck I will add). My question to Gary was more to the point that if you sent me the oring and it didn't fit do you have one that would I was no way discounting the info you provided.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to gracetom2
Mein Auto: bmw
Check the detailing forum.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Nothing was missing. I drove all over the state with the disa oring specs so that I can purchase one.
I hadn't noticed you're in Australia. While shipping for an o-ring might be more than the o-ring, it shouldn't be too bad. But, don't they sell equivalent (metric perhaps) o-rings in Australia?