Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i
2003 330i Sun Shade jammed far inside roof

Just got mine with 103K a few weeks ago....My wife tried to manually close the sun shade (the glass sun roof was closed at the time) and the sun shade seemed stuck. So...she figured she'd open the sun roof and then close it back and it would close the sun shade in the process. WRONG !! When the sun roof started moving back/opening it jammed the sun shade back inside the roof to the point that I can't get my fingers on it. For better or worse I tried to continue opening the sun roof in hopes that the glass would slide over the shade and catch it so it would close again. Unfortunately when the glass gets to the edge of the shade it starts making a cracking/crackling sound which can't be good.

Anyone have this happen to them and how do I get the sun shade forward (or out)?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
mine has done that for ten years.

A tiny clip is broke that is supposed to prevent the shade from going back inside with the window- about two inches. I simply reach in and put my left hand on top of the shade, pull down with slight pressure and slide it forward...no problem for 10 years now, but I doubt a girly girl could do it without whining and telling you they need a new car...LOL
Old 03-09-2013, 08:48 PM

So I put the roof in "tilt" position (front down, rear elevated) and I will be able to get my hand in there?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Now that I think of it, I never reach in there to close the shade until I close the sunroof. No need for tilt up etc....just reach in with four fingers placed on top of shade and press down slightly while pulling forward.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 AM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBret View Post
So I put the roof in "tilt" position (front down, rear elevated) and I will be able to get my hand in there?
If I remember correctly there's a repair kit for the shade, and you can put the sunroof in tilt positioning to access the screws holding the roof glass on.

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 03-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Update...

k, i can't get my hand/fingers in the space above the sun shade far enough to get an adequate grip to pull it out (i've got it within a 1/2 inch of the opening, but there's a small "ledge" at the edge that i can't get it over with the grip I can get.

So.... i bought seamer pliers ($30.00) that have 2 4-inch flat surfaces on the head. I'm hoping i can get a good enough grip to pull the shade out.

If that doesn't work I also bought some long small-diameter (1/16") steel rods that maybe I can bend on the end to make a hook and run them over the top of the shade and pull it out from the back side.

If anyone has any advice on whether these are good/bad ideas or whether something else might work better let me know.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330CI
Suggest you remove the glass panel. It's easy to do - there are 3 x torx screwseach side to remove then it simply lifts out. You will then be able to access to shade and see what the problem is. You will probably find that the sliders that pull the shade back and forward are worn or broken. They are inexpensive and easy to remove and replace. When you place the glass back in position have someone check the alignment from the outside while you tighten up the screws so it sits level when the glass in in the closed position.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Check the e46 wiki link at top of forum. All the info, pictures, diy etc. Likely fixable and possibly for cheap. Pay attention to comments about the shade "driver" piece. If you have cracking sounds, move it as little as possible with the motor. Try to get the glass to close (without cracking sounds) and then follow the instructions to take it off - 4-6 torx bolts. Careful, the bolthead strips fairly easily. I used a torx bit in a ratchet driver with a "wobbler" extension that allows for slight angling of the business end. Read up and you'll understand how it all works and what you need to do, which may involve bending some things back into shape or removing altogether etc.

Once you get it fixed, make sure to lube the tracks once a year or so and check condition of the shade sliders.

Last edited by ahull; 03-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.