Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
There is a pedal in the footwell on the right hand side that if you press will create a noise/sensation that will ameliorate the visceral discomfort generated by the gong.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
There is a pedal in the footwell on the right hand side that if you press will create a noise/sensation that will ameliorate the visceral discomfort generated by the gong.
///M,

Please note that OP drives a 328i, therefore he, like others of us suffers from exhaust note (among other permformance) envy. He may have to invest some $$$ to get the full effect of the rightmost pedal acoustic amelioration.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 03-08-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Obviously the OP had never seen the BMW propaganda . . . I mean documentary film "BMW A Driving Obsession" that explains the great care and planning that BMW goes to in order to make those sounds as annoying as possible.

CA
The propaganda worked, it got the little lady to agree to ED

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Bond Girl

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophale View Post

"How BMW single minded approach about the gong sound was all in an effort so we the customer would love their car"

I'm not feeling the love...
I wonder how much patience it took that man in the video who was "designing" the gong to be able to stand listening to it up to 2,000 times a day, as he so enthusiastically stated, and how after hearing it at so frequent intervals he is even able to differentiate between what a customer would find to be a "pleasant" gong, or "unpleasant" gong. I know after listening to that thing 2,000 times in one day, it would all be unpleasant to me!

I would also like to add what is particularly unsettling to me gong-wise is when the gongs interrupt each other - like when the car is simultaneously reminding me that it's cold outside and, oh yes - please fasten your seat belt, and by the way, you forgot to shut your door - all at the same time. I can't imagine having this phenomenon happen at the extreme volumes which you are currently experiencing, so I suppose I really have no right to complain. In designing these individual gongs they should have made them a bit more complimentary and harmonic to one another, so that instead of being assaulted with clashing gongs, we would instead hear a pleasant melodic chord.

"Just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 03-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingbimmer View Post
I would also like to add what is particularly unsettling to me gong-wise is when the gongs interrupt each other - like when the car is simultaneously reminding me that it's cold outside and, oh yes - please fasten your seat belt, and by the way, you forgot to shut your door - all at the same time. ... In designing these individual gongs they should have made them a bit more complimentary and harmonic to one another, so that instead of being assaulted with clashing gongs, we would instead hear a pleasant melodic chord.
You forgot one... "Fuel low".

I've been advocating for quite a while now that it should be an arpeggio, that way we would know what fault to cue to each note.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Bond Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
You forgot one... "Fuel low".

I've been advocating for quite a while now that it should be an arpeggio, that way we would know what fault to cue to each note.
An arpeggio, I like that! Not only would we know what fault corresponds with each respective gong, but then, if you stick your key in the slot and get a full blown arpeggio instead of just one or two notes (or three or four, depending if its cold outside and/or your fuel is low at the same time), you'll know for sure there are quite a few discrepancies that need to be remedied. Why hasn't BMW implemented this yet?

BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
I'm confused by this thread. First, I've never found the gong to be loud. Second, there is a volume setting for the gong in iDrive.

Last edited by ptrcd003; 03-11-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
We had an 07 E91; not sure it ever bothered me?

The gong changed in 2008.... smoother if you ask me.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Xdrive T
Gong grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophale View Post
Aloha Last Sight,

That is the crux of the issue, yes there is a control to adjust the volume of the gong in the head unit, it does nothing. Set it to the lowest volume setting or the highest volume setting, you get the same result, a very loud gong. iDrive works, friend has e91 2009 and was able to adjust the gong sound volume. The dealer tried adjusting it too, but then came back with the "it is a safety feature that is regulated and needs to be that loud..." so I guess they tried the same thing I did with no change in volume.

So, some of us are looking for a solution, a reset, coding... to adjust the sound level. I've tried adjusting the sound level of the stereo to lowest level then adjusted the gong level in hopes it was a multiple of the stereo sound system, no luck... I also tried adjusting the speed volume control system in the same way... no luck.

I believe there is a trick to this, but I haven't come across it yet on this forum, other BMW forums or through a google search.

I hope I have described the issue clearly.
You have,

And I just watched that video at 20:55 and on. Don't get me wrong, I am 'into' design, more than the next guy. Just last week i finally threw out the boxes for the entire iPhone collection to date, that I had been saving, even the boxes are beautiful.

But for heavens sake! Let us have the opportunity to turn this sound down!

Driving up to Sugarloaf, I was able to find the volume control for the gong/chime. It was easy to find on my head unit, simply press the button with a note on it on the bottom right of the controls, and then select past bass treble fader etc but the gong volume does nothing, if anything, I think you can turn it UP a little!

So I too remain on the quest for the gong grail.

Standing by!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Nice Guy

Mein Auto: 09' BMW 328i; 04' BMW X5
I don't hear it as often as OP, but I get extremely annoyed by it as well. Gas... Laptop on passenger seat... Key in ignition, door open... constant gong.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauly View Post
You have,

And I just watched that video at 20:55 and on. Don't get me wrong, I am 'into' design, more than the next guy. Just last week i finally threw out the boxes for the entire iPhone collection to date, that I had been saving, even the boxes are beautiful.

But for heavens sake! Let us have the opportunity to turn this sound down!

Driving up to Sugarloaf, I was able to find the volume control for the gong/chime. It was easy to find on my head unit, simply press the button with a note on it on the bottom right of the controls, and then select past bass treble fader etc but the gong volume does nothing, if anything, I think you can turn it UP a little!

So I too remain on the quest for the gong grail.

Standing by!
I can turn mine down. Perhaps your are just hitting back instead of ok and your volume selection isn't being saved.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i sport wagon
Gong update...

Aloha all,

After playing with the radio head unit of my 2009 E91 a little more this Sunday to reduce the gong volume, I have come to the conclusion that the default gong sound volume is set too loud on my car and any adjustment from -5 to +5 produces a very loud to super loud warning gong. For the record, my 2011 MINI Clubman S, which has the same menu logic in its radio head unit, I was able to go from a hardly audible (-5) to a loud gong (+5).

Another observation, it seems when I enter into the gong adjustment menu via the music note button, the volume for the radio (when on) and gong increases (maybe 2x) with no other adjustments to the volume level.

So to recap, the gong volume is very loud when set to -5 in the radio head unit. My 2009 328i E91 does NOT have iDrive. When I'm in the gong menu, the radio increase in volume with no adjustment to volume settings. I suspect that the default gong volume is set much higher on my car.

Question, new to BMW coding, can the default gong volume be changed? Does anyone know of a web site that might have helpful explanation of the coding of the car, car gong volume? I've googled these questions and found http://www.bmwcoding.com. However, most of the coding questions on the gong explains how to turn off the gong, which is not my intention. I believe it is useful to have the warning, just not at a high volume. Another thought I had, is there a reset for the head unit? Perhaps this will bring the gong volume to lower volume factory default level. Final thought, this might be a gremlin/feature that a few of us with a 2009 models without iDrive have...

For the record, I do enjoy the car very much. I'm hopeful a smart individual in the BMW community might have knowledge on how to make the default gong volume be less obtrusive in my "new to me" 2009 E91.

With much aloha!

2011 Clubman S | MT6 | Chili Red Black Roof | Roof Rails | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
2009 BMW 328i Touring | MT6 | Tasman Metallic | Dakota Saddle Brown Leather | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
Old 03-10-2013, 08:48 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:

I would also like to add what is particularly unsettling to me gong-wise is when the gongs interrupt each other - like when the car is simultaneously reminding me that it's cold outside and, oh yes - please fasten your seat belt, and by the way, you forgot to shut your door - all at the same time. I can't imagine having this phenomenon happen at the extreme volumes which you are currently experiencing, so I suppose I really have no right to complain. In designing these individual gongs they should have made them a bit more complimentary and harmonic to one another, so that instead of being assaulted with clashing gongs, we would instead hear a pleasant melodic chord.
You really can't seem to enjoy the symphony of music that BMW is attempting to incorporate into your uncultured life huh? BMW is a refined car, and their combination of sounds are made to enrich your life.

You are clearly not a true believer and must hand in your keys to me!

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Bond Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You really can't seem to enjoy the symphony of music that BMW is attempting to incorporate into your uncultured life huh? BMW is a refined car, and their combination of sounds are made to enrich your life.

You are clearly not a true believer and must hand in your keys to me!
Please excuse my ignorance in these matters of refined, sophisticated, auditory enrichment. I am fairly new to the world of sheer driving pleasure, and these experiences, while rather alarming, have opened up my soul. Forgive me for being quite overwhelmed by both the auditory and aesthetic sensations that BMW has so kindly taken the liberty to incorporate in within my Ultimate Driving Machine.

Now, about this matter of relinquishing my keys to you, Mr. Furby... I will gladly exchange them for a wire transfer of a hefty undisclosed amount of cash in my bank account before close of business this afternoon.

BMW CCA Member 473595

Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Please excuse my ignorance in these matters of refined, sophisticated, auditory enrichment. I am fairly new to the world of sheer driving pleasure, and these experiences, while rather alarming, have opened up my soul. Forgive me for being quite overwhelmed by both the auditory and aesthetic sensations that BMW has so kindly taken the liberty to incorporate in within my Ultimate Driving Machine.

Now, about this matter of relinquishing my keys to you, Mr. Furby... I will gladly exchange them for a wire transfer of a hefty undisclosed amount of cash in my bank account before close of business this afternoon.
I will definitely take you up on that offer and send you an undisclosed amount once I receive your keys and title.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
I will definitely take you up on that offer and send you an undisclosed amount once I receive your keys and title.

Please reference the post related to "What can I get with 10K?" as it will clearly outline how these undisclosed wire transfers work (usually via Prince in Nigeria).
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Bond Girl

Quote:

You, sir, are incorrect in your assumption that this is the correct order in which our business transaction will be conducted. You must pay to play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sight View Post
Please reference the post related to "What can I get with 10K?" as it will clearly outline how these undisclosed wire transfers work (usually via Prince in Nigeria).
+1.

BMW CCA Member 473595

Last edited by cruisingbimmer; 03-11-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
I'm confused by this threat. First, I've never found the gong to be loud. Second, there is a volume setting for the gong in iDrive.
I'm confused as well, I never hear the gong under normal conditions. Sure, a heavy package/dog/six-pack on the seat will produce an alert, but easily solved by putting it in the trunk/back seat/floor. Or if the morning produces the frost/ice warning or the car is low on fuel, but there's a good reason for the alert. Why the concern, if under usual conditions the only sound one hears is the engine/exhaust, Beethoven or the wind whistling pass your ears?

Enlighten me otherwise, why is the gong alert going off unless it is being triggered by some abnormal driving condition that I don't engage in?
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 03-11-2013, 03:21 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
OP: Any chance your car has an aftermarket upgraded stereo?

When I put a better amp in my E60, I realized that the system is sending all of that chime audio through the stereo system at unity gain, with no way to turn it down. So, I had to adjust my amp's output level so that the chimes don't blow me out of the roof, like you are saying.

It's a bit of a drag because I sacrifice some output level capability by turning the amp down somewhat.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 03-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
... Beethoven or the wind whistling pass your ears?
Listening to Beethoven's 7th symphony, 2nd movement Allegretto (Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic) while driving my BMW in the back country hills is a transcendent experience.

Throw in a (self edited two letter abbreviation) and I could die a happy man.

OK, enough beer for tonight.

Last edited by BashedBarrique; 03-11-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
I just have to wonder: Instead of coding the car, or trying to find a way to castrate the gong; wouldn't it be easier to simply close the door and buckle up before driving away?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi, 6 spd M Sport
Talking

This thread is simply amazing. Truly, kudos to all involved.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Obviously the OP had never seen the BMW propaganda . . . I mean documentary film "BMW A Driving Obsession" that explains the great care and planning that BMW goes to in order to make those sounds as annoying as possible.

CA
I've seen it several times myself, loved the video! So informational and gives a great insight into the BMW culture.

On topic...I really like the gong, but sometimes when I'm really tired and driving home from work, the snowflake gong causes me to jump in my seat thinking it's a REAL issue.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
I just have to wonder: Instead of coding the car, or trying to find a way to castrate the gong; wouldn't it be easier to simply close the door and buckle up before driving away?
end of thread
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
trying to find a way to castrate the gong
First of all...ouch.

And second, wouldn't that just make the gong a higher pitch?