Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Extended Vehicle Protection Plan

My issues over the last month or two have made me think a lot harder about upgrading my protection plan. If the cars self destruct after 36 months, then I either need to (a) completely jump ship or (b) get some protection. The first option isn't at all appealing since I purchased my car. Thus, the protection plan seems to be my best option.

I got some quotes today, and the 7 year/70,000 mile *Gold protection plan is going to run in the ballpark of $5,200. There is a 7 year/100,000 mile version, but I doubt I'll need that given that I'm over 13 months into ownership and have just passed 9,000 miles.

What are my options here, guys? And let's say selling at the end of 4 years is out of the question for the purposes of this inquiry. Should I shop around with different dealers to see if one offers a better price than another?

Also, I'm considering the Maintenance Plan, but I'm thinking I may pass on it. It is about $3,500 for 6 years/100,000 miles. It covers the same things as the factory maintenance plan (oil change and filters, wiper blades, brake pads, etc.). While these things are not exactly cheap, I struggle to believe that I'd spend $1,7500 a year an oil change and a pair of wiper blades. Maybe I'd gave to top off some fluid levels and a few other things, but I think it's still a bit excessive. Thoughts?

One nice thing to note is that they told me I can finance the Protection Plan at 0% interest for 18 months with 10% down. That definitely softens the blow of spending five grand on something I hope to never need.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*Gold = covers drivetrain issues, breakdowns, engine, fuel system, cooling system, transmission, final drive assembly, steering, ABS, electrical, heat, and A/C. The only thing it doesn't have covered that is covered by the Platinum plan is the audio, entertainment, navigation, etc. The deductible is $50.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/

Last edited by southern6er22; 03-09-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750li
I bought the extended warranty and maintenance for 2009 750li $6700 and it extended the coverages to 6 year/100k miles. You don't put on a lot of miles so you can skip the maintenance. At the very least, get the extended warranty. You can shop around and you can get third-party coverages also. They vary from company to company but some make you pay for any repairs upfront, and then you get reimbursed. Others have higher deductibles, while the BMW plan has a $50 deductible. You should shop around and you can certainly haggle. I am at 35k miles and all hopes to trading in my 6er has gone down the tubes so I will be getting the extended coverages very soon.

Alpine White - Silverstone II Extended Merino Leather - Driver Assistance Package - Executive Package - 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M - Bang & Olufsen Sound System - M Performance Black Kidney Grille

12 650i / 09 750li / 06 750li / 03 745li / 00 540i
Old 03-09-2013, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Why are you not targeting the platinum coverage?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I would get the BMW Coverage. Anything else I would stay away from. Extend warranty companies are about profit. They are real good at denying claims. If you do get one outside of BMW. Make sure you get an exclusionary one. One that lists clearly all the parts that are not covered as opposed to the parts that are. The exclusionary coverage give you a concrete idea of what is not covered. That would be my advice..
Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammadurb View Post
I bought the extended warranty and maintenance for 2009 750li $6700 and it extended the coverages to 6 year/100k miles. You don't put on a lot of miles so you can skip the maintenance. At the very least, get the extended warranty.
I'll definitely check with some higher volume dealers and see if they can do better on the price. Luckily I've got some time. I had no idea what kind of money we'd be talking about, so I wanted to get a quote.

Anyone have any idea how much an oil change runs? I know it can vary from dealer to dealer, but I just want a figure, give or take $100 or so.

I'm not too concerned about wiper blades. I had mine for 11 months before they changed them, and they we doing as well as they always did at that time.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
Why are you not targeting the platinum coverage?
I might. I tend to start cheaper and then ultimately upgrade before finally pulling the trigger. Started out looking at an E-Class coupe and then added an extra $40k to get my 6er

My biggest fear is the major mechanical stuff. I have no doubt that iDrive and audio repairs will be pricey, but likely not as bad as replacing engine components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
I would get the BMW Coverage. Anything else I would stay away from. Extend warranty companies are about profit. They are real good at denying claims. If you do get one outside of BMW. Make sure you get an exclusionary one. One that lists clearly all the parts that are not covered as opposed to the parts that are. The exclusionary coverage give you a concrete idea of what is not covered. That would be my advice..
Thanks for the tips. I'm leaning toward a BMW plan. I'd rather spend a little more and not have to jump through extra hoops or spend time fighting with other providers.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 03-10-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I think going with the entended warranty especially with X-Drive would a good move. And no way on the maintenance plan.

A $100 for an oilchange at a dealer does 4.4 sound low. Doesn't the N63 motor take 9 quarts of high-grade synethic for an oilchange?
Imola Red
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20" 373 Wheels
NON-RFT/Nitto 555ZR-Extreme
Full LED Lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser/Gloss Black Wrap

Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M6
You might want to check with Pacific BMW that hooked me up with a Zurich but also offer the BMW warranty. I've already used it with no problem and they do offer better prices than I was quoted at other dealerships. I think they are Bimmerfest sponsers and was referred to them from other happy Bimmerfesters!

Daniel Dutton
Finance Manager
Pacific BMW
(818) 552-4611

danieldutton@pacificbmw.com

08 M6: Cabrio, Sapphire Black, H&R Lowering Springs, InCurve 20" Wheels, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Calipers Painted Red with M-Logo

02 Ford Focus SVT: Run around car
04 Ford F-150: For pulling sea doos and quads

04 645i Cabrio, Titanium Silver ( SOLD )
00 Mercedes CLK Conv (SOLD)
94 Mustang GT (SOLD)
88 Mustang GT (SOLD)
87 Honda CRX (SOLD)
77 BMW 320i (SOLD)
74 Mecury Capri V6 (SOLD)
Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdgpa View Post
You might want to check with Pacific BMW that hooked me up with a Zurich but also offer the BMW warranty. I've already used it with no problem and they do offer better prices than I was quoted at other dealerships. I think they are Bimmerfest sponsers and was referred to them from other happy Bimmerfesters!

Daniel Dutton
Finance Manager
Pacific BMW
(818) 552-4611

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check them out.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 AM

Mein Auto: 650I; F430, R1200RT
That's a great idea about checking during the Festival for BMW sponsors who may be offering a great deal.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
My wheel/tire policy is through Zurich (set up through my dealer). The one tire claim I made was completely painless. Drove in, new tire, drove out. Paperwork was all handled by SA.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 6 series convertible
Paid $4,500 when purchased the car for the warranty.
Think about it in a reality situation.

You need a head, transmission, one of the many computers, rear end, he'll who knows the BMW extended warranty is the way to go.
After spending 100G's you don't want to sell it because of the huge possibility megga buck repairs that will be on you if you would really like to keep it.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check them out.
Did you buy your extended warranty?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:52 AM

I'm going to hold off for a bit. I'm barely into year 2. I'm definitively leaning toward getting it, but I don't really see much point in paying for it right now. Sure, the price might go up a little between now and the next two years, but I'd rather make sure I want to keep the car 6 or 7 years before I lay out all that money. I had a rough patch recently, but I'm hoping that's over. If that continues, with or without a warranty, that will get old really quickly.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 f12 was 2010 E63
Although you don't seem to be driving long distances because of your mileage but you do travel. I remember you going to Spartanburg. My advice to you is if you do upgrade your protection plan make sure it is recognized by all BMW dealers. Ideally you would have a plan that covers what you have for the next three years beyond those years.

2012 650i xDrive|Vermillion Red Metallic | Cinnamon Brown Nappa Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | ARS | 20" Wheels | Active Cruise Control | HUD | Night Vision | LED Lights | Heated seats | Heated Steering Wheel | Ski bag | Active front seats | Premium hi-fi system | Satellite radio | Plus more

Former ride 2010 Deep Sea Blue 650i
Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan View Post
Although you don't seem to be driving long distances because of your mileage but you do travel. I remember you going to Spartanburg. My advice to you is if you do upgrade your protection plan make sure it is recognized by all BMW dealers. Ideally you would have a plan that covers what you have for the next three years beyond those years.
Yeah, I've pretty much decided on a BMW plan no matter the cost. BMW has its faults, but 99% of my experiences with them illustrate that if you shell out the big buck up front, then they'll do pretty much whatever you want without a hassle - engine upgrade and power trunk aside. lol

Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I'm going to hold off for a bit. I'm barely into year 2. I'm definitively leaning toward getting it, but I don't really see much point in paying for it right now. Sure, the price might go up a little between now and the next two years, but I'd rather make sure I want to keep the car 6 or 7 years before I lay out all that money. I had a rough patch recently, but I'm hoping that's over. If that continues, with or without a warranty, that will get old really quickly.
You can always refi through a credit union when the time comes to buy extended warranty coverage at a discounted rate. I purchased my car this past December with 59k miles on it through PenFed based on their warranty coverage options and price.

I checked out their pricing and was shocked at the discounted member rates (anyone can join) for an extended warranty. I paid $1,895 (max amount if your car has less that 65k miles) for a 5 year/100,000 mile B2B warranty (Route 66). No way was I going to pass this up! It covers everything including seals and gaskets! All you have to do is take your car to the dealer or Indy of choice when you have an issue. I basically have a new car warranty with no worries for a 2004! Something to think about at half the price.

No I do not work for PenFed, just passing this along.
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Good thinking.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 04-02-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano View Post
You can always refi through a credit union when the time comes to buy extended warranty coverage at a discounted rate. I purchased my car this past December with 59k miles on it through PenFed based on their warranty coverage options and price.

I checked out their pricing and was shocked at the discounted member rates (anyone can join) for an extended warranty. I paid $1,895 (max amount if your car has less that 65k miles) for a 5 year/100,000 mile B2B warranty (Route 66). No way was I going to pass this up! It covers everything including seals and gaskets! All you have to do is take your car to the dealer or Indy of choice when you have an issue. I basically have a new car warranty with no worries for a 2004! Something to think about at half the price.

No I do not work for PenFed, just passing this along.
Who is the administrator of your policy? How much is your deductible? Does it cover all electronics? Is your policy better than the platinum BMW extended warranty?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano View Post

I checked out their pricing and was shocked at the discounted member rates (anyone can join) for an extended warranty. I paid $1,895 (max amount if your car has less that 65k miles) for a 5 year/100,000 mile B2B warranty (Route 66).
Website says 6 series is excluded from this type of coverage.

When I had my last 6 series (2004) after much research I decided to go with full coverage with AA Autowarranty (NOT triple A, different company). I was never denied a claim (and there were several), however, I did run into a problem - they only covered hourly rates up to ~$85 / hr, where BMW charges ~$130/hr. So if I wanted my work done at the dealer I had to pay the difference.

If I had to do it again I would definitely go with the dealer warranty. I would just wait the last possible minute (not literally) so you know where you're at.

Miz
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Hello, I just wanted to second the poster above who suggested Daniel Dutton and Pacific BMW for an extended warranty contact. I joined Bimmerfest specifically so I could take advantage of the PacBMW warranty pricing. Living in CA with our insurance regulations, I was very happy to find a dealer in CA who offered competitive pricing. The only options I had in the Bay Area were either MSRP on the Platinum warranty or the low pricing Hendrick warranty out of East Bay BMW and some really obnoxious financing and service guys at my three local dealers.

In my situation UPS overnight was involved and Daniel came in over the weekend to process my paperwork in time... on his day off I might add. They are legit, their pricing is amazing and I highly recommend using them. Apologies for jumping on the original thread, but I was not quite sure where else to give a recommendation, so hopefully this will be helpful to others. Carry on and good luck to all.

Daniel Dutton
Pacific BMW
Finance Manager
(818) 552-4611 - Direct
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. Glad to know there is an option other than getting robbed by my low-volume local dealer.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 AM

Let us know your opinion of this extended warranty from this recent F10 post:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=17
Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 PM

I purchased the Platinum warranty this month. I'm at 45K miles already. Stick with BMWs warranty IMHO.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 PM

How much more did you pay for the extended warranty at 45K vs new?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:27 AM

Dan Dutton by far had the best price, but I wanted to take advantage of the 0% financing (tomorrow's dollar is worth less than today and it's a free loan and Dan couldn't match the 18-month program for the 5/100 platinum warranty) so I talked my dealership into throwing in a car spa treatment, a free alignment and a BMW hat & shirt of my choice) to bring the costs down to Dutton-like value. (I had to go to the GM whom I've known for years to get it approved)

I paid $3750 for the Platinum 5/100. The other items help "lower" the cost to the tune of about $5-600.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan