Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive
2008 SULEV 128i concerns

Have been consiering a used 2008 128i convertible available locally with low miles and very clean. One item that's concerned me is that it's an SULEV version with the N51 engine (vehicle was sold new in CA).

I've done quite a bit of reading on this and have been unable to conclusively determine answers to the following:

1) Fuel pump integral with tank - I've seen this stated a number of places, but then again countered elsewhere. Checking RealOEM.com it appears the pump is separately available from the tank. Having to replace a fuel pump I can accept - it's mechanical, it can fail - but generally I consider the fuel tank to last as long as the vehicle (barring unusual circumstances). Having to replace the tank because the pump has failed, because the pump is integral to the tank, is a significant disadvantage. So, what's the situation on this - pump integral with tank or not?

2) The N51 has a number of additional emissions related components compared to the N52 and some components that are more expensive (e.g. stainless steel vs the standard material), meaning there is additional potential cost for repair as time goes on. Countering this is the extended warranty I keep hearing mentioned that applies to the SULEV emissions system. A potentially big gotcha in this regard is if the additional warranty applies to the vehicle where ever it may be, as with other warranties, or only within CARB states - and I am not in one. So, does the additional emissions warranty apply where ever the vehicle may be or is it limited to repair within a CARB state?

Thanks in advance to anyone who definatively clarify these issues.
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
1. Older SULEV models had a permanently installed pump. I believe the newer models have a replaceable pump. I would trust realoem.com over hearsay on forum.
2. Extended warranties on emissions components are dictated by federal EPA regulations, not CARB. So, you're covered regardless of which state you call home. If "some components" are made from stainless steel then they should last longer and are not as likely to need replacement. As far as the additional emission components installed, they are few in number and generally reliable (secondary air injection system and a DISA valve are the only things I know of).

FWIW, I have a 128i SULEV, and these things don't keep me up at night. In fact, mechanically, the N51 engine in my car is more similar the to N52TU in my old E46 than to the standard non-SULEV N52 in the 128i. I never had any issues with emissions related components with exception to the O2 sensors in my old E46.