Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilson44 View Post
Hey dude I think on our cars, the supersprint headers will have the most effect on performance.

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Thanks nwilson44. I am only looking to get better throttle response, driveability and a bit more HP & TQ from 2,500 - 4,000 RPMs. Not looking for a night and day difference in overall performance. I have read many reviews on Dinan and it goes either way. I understand their philosophy and feel they offer what I need. I just want to add spicy mustard on my hamburger to make it more enjoyable; that is the difference I am looking for. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone is expecting large gains from Dinan for the 545i platform, that is not going to happen. It was not intended for this.
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust
Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
My situation was far worse. Acceleration from a dead stop Was horrible. I was finally able to get my car to the independent shop today. I had mentioned to them that I recently changed out the battery And would like to have it registered and also explaining to him my acceleration issues. The technician then went on to say that by registering the battery would most likely solve my vehicle acceleration, drivability issues. Do to the fact that the vehicle is in default mode, and is not able to learn and or adapt to the driver and his style of driving. He registered the battery, cleared a few codes one being a misfire, I was in and out in 20 minutes and the total cost was $60. My car Feels amazing, and is driving perfectly. Others on this forum were spot on when advised me to register my new battery ASAP on one of my previous threads when I was having a dead battery issue. It's amazing how by just swapping out the battery and not following certain procedures with this car how many issues can arise. Thanks for all the help!

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano View Post
Thanks nwilson44. I am only looking to get better throttle response, driveability and a bit more HP & TQ from 2,500 - 4,000 RPMs. Not looking for a night and day difference in overall performance. I have read many reviews on Dinan and it goes either way. I understand their philosophy and feel they offer what I need. I just want to add spicy mustard on my hamburger to make it more enjoyable; that is the difference I am looking for. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone is expecting large gains from Dinan for the 545i platform, that is not going to happen. It was not intended for this.
Ohh okay so your seeking to fix the same issue. Sorry, It seemed like you were looking for more power with all that stuff. I'm hoping it wont be such a long process for mine.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eWERK-E60 View Post
My situation was far worse. Acceleration from a dead stop Was horrible. I was finally able to get my car to the independent shop today. I had mentioned to them that I recently changed out the battery And would like to have it registered and also explaining to him my acceleration issues. The technician then went on to say that by registering the battery would most likely solve my vehicle acceleration, drivability issues. Do to the fact that the vehicle is in default mode, and is not able to learn and or adapt to the driver and his style of driving. He registered the battery, cleared a few codes one being a misfire, I was in and out in 20 minutes and the total cost was $60. My car Feels amazing, and is driving perfectly. Others on this forum were spot on when advised me to register my new battery ASAP on one of my previous threads when I was having a dead battery issue. It's amazing how by just swapping out the battery and not following certain procedures with this car how many issues can arise. Thanks for all the help!
Dude nice car in the pic. I have the same exterior color and wheels. Well thats good you were able to fix yours so easily. I dont think mine is broke. I mean it cranks kind of slowly compared to the other BMW's I've had but once it fires, It really just fires up. Other than that its pretty normal to me. I always use 93 octane gas and I think its just the stock software.

What is Default mode? Im not sure what that is.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilson44 View Post
Ohh okay so your seeking to fix the same issue. Sorry, It seemed like you were looking for more power with all that stuff. I'm hoping it wont be such a long process for mine.
I have always been a fan of Dinan; I figured now is the time to add to the fun and not over do it. My highly modded GT-R has that honor, I will keep the E60 civil.
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
All you guys debating fly-by-wire versus a cabled throttle body are wasting your breath. They can be made to be exactly the same, i.e. fly-by-wire can be mapped to be exactly as fast and completely linear, just like a cabled throttle body. BMW purposely has changed the mapping to provide for a smoother power delivery, better fuel economy and better epa figures.

The system can be easily remapped by a "spring booster" or the like. I personally don't like using something like a third party relatively low volume (in production/application that is) product like a sprint booster and instead add a more comprehensive re-mapping. Again, these re-maps don't offer a massive increase in hp, torque, 0-60 time, etc. but they can provide a ton of real world applicability and seat of your pants thrill increases. I wrote a little piece a few months ago when I did a bunch of Dinan work to my e60 550i LCI Sport, I'd suggest reading it here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...133&highlight=

I think I managed to pretty succinctly explain the mods I did, what they achieved and how they worked with one another, i.e. their synergies.

This is a long way of saying that my response to your OP would be to look at Dinan's stage I, II or III Performance Engine Software (stages II & III being only if you chose to add some other goodies to the mix, the stage II & III play with the other breathing apparatus a little better like intake, exhaust and throttle body). Their Software program includes a "sprint booster" anyway. In fact, Dinan is running a 15% off pretty much anything in the month of March so the stage I which I think is usually $500 would be $425 if you get it by the end of the month.

Finally, lots of guys like to hate on Dinan, i.e. not enough performance gains for the money, etc. but IMHO they have amazing warranties, they are the only aftermarket tuner to have ever worked and developed directly with BMW and they provide peace of mind with real world gains. I love the products I have by them but understand that not everybody does.

Disclaimer: This and all my views of Dinan, etc. are tailored for this model car and this motor... If you had a N54 or N55, I wouldn't suggest Dinan, but with our NA big v8's, I don't think theres a better aftermarket product on the market for the handful of product they offer for our model.

Best of luck, don't be disparaged by a lazy throttle response (a simple re-map solves the issue), believe it or not it is purposely that way... Don't forget, these cars are made as executive saloons to be smooth and luxurious AND drive at 150 on the autobahn.

Oh, and yeah, like eWERK-E60 said, also clearing out the adaptations of the VANOS and fly-by-wire systems starts you with a clean slate.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUSe60 View Post
This is a long way of saying that my response to your OP would be to look at Dinan's stage I, II or III Performance Engine Software (stages II & III being only if you chose to add some other goodies to the mix, the stage II & III play with the other breathing apparatus a little better like intake, exhaust and throttle body). Their Software program includes a "sprint booster" anyway. In fact, Dinan is running a 15% off pretty much anything in the month of March so the stage I which I think is usually $500 would be $425 if you get it by the end of the month.

Finally, lots of guys like to hate on Dinan, i.e. not enough performance gains for the money, etc. but IMHO they have amazing warranties, they are the only aftermarket tuner to have ever worked and developed directly with BMW and they provide peace of mind with real world gains. I love the products I have by them but understand that not everybody does.

Disclaimer: This and all my views of Dinan, etc. are tailored for this model car and this motor... If you had a N54 or N55, I wouldn't suggest Dinan, but with our NA big v8's, I don't think theres a better aftermarket product on the market for the handful of product they offer for our model.

Best of luck, don't be disparaged by a lazy throttle response (a simple re-map solves the issue), believe it or not it is purposely that way... Don't forget, these cars are made as executive saloons to be smooth and luxurious AND drive at 150 on the autobahn.

Oh, and yeah, like eWERK-E60 said, also clearing out the adaptations of the VANOS and fly-by-wire systems starts you with a clean slate.
Well stated! I am on this path as well.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 6Spd 550I w Sports Pk
hmmm... thought it was me. Does anyone else experience the engine at about 500 rpms when at a stand still?? But when I depress the clutch the revs shoot up to about 800 rpms...
Is this normal?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chaze View Post
hmmm... thought it was me. Does anyone else experience the engine at about 500 rpms when at a stand still?? But when I depress the clutch the revs shoot up to about 800 rpms...
Is this normal?
Mine is automatic, however it wouldn't surprise me to learn that BMW has an anti stall feature..

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I know on automatics they will idle at 800rpm when moving, ~500rpm when completely stopped. Wouldn't surprise me if they automatically raised the idle on manuals when you push the clutch in.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 6 Speed 550i Sport
Yes the manual goes from 500 to 800 when you push in the clutch... I assume this is just to aid in engaging the clutch.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Hmm, I have SAT, and my car idles at ~500 RPM with the AC off and ~800 RPM with the AC on. Seems to be perfectly normal.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
Hmm, I have SAT, and my car idles at ~500 RPM with the AC off and ~800 RPM with the AC on. Seems to be perfectly normal.
There's an option when coding to change the idle speed when the AC is on to 800rpm. Mine by default was 500rpm all the time--changing it to 800rpm helped make it a whole lot easier to get the car moving without it being jerky for some reason, so I left it like that
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
There's an option when coding to change the idle speed when the AC is on to 800rpm. Mine by default was 500rpm all the time--changing it to 800rpm helped make it a whole lot easier to get the car moving without it being jerky for some reason, so I left it like that
Mine always idles at 800 RPM initially because of the Auto Air Recirculation. When I turn it off the idle goes down to 500 RPM and no problem. I thought this a little weird at first, just because my old 530 idled at 700 RPM regardless, but I asked some friends and they said the same thing you did. The previous owner must have had the idle adjustment done.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 04-07-2013, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
back to the topic
after ECU/EGS software update by dealer ( 550 LCI SAP transmission ) my throttle response is 80% better !! ... really this throttle problem is all about software this why DINAN software is highly recommended

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=28

The only jerk i still have is when i totally release my gas pedal for 2-3 sec so the idle fails to MIN ( 500-800 RPM ? ) and then I push it back to speed
Dealer said it's normal for this car xmm
So i try not to do it and always keep my foot on a gas pedal up to 1k RPM
Maybe it has something to do with BMW Efficient Dynamic ? aka engine kind of "mini shut down" to safe on gas ?
The question is ,- will 500$ DINAN software fix it ?

Last edited by champaign777; 04-07-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:50 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
back to the topic
after ECU/EGS software update by dealer ( 550 LCI SAP transmission ) my throttle response is 80% better !! ... really this throttle problem is all about software this why DINAN software is highly recommended

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=28

The only jerk i still have is when i totally release my gas pedal for 2-3 sec so the idle fails to MIN ( 500-800 RPM ? ) and then I push it back to speed
Dealer said it's normal for this car xmm
So i try not to do it and always keep my foot on a gas pedal up to 1k RPM
Maybe it has something to do with BMW Efficient Dynamic ? aka engine kind of "mini shut down" to safe on gas ?
The question is ,- will 500$ DINAN software fix it ?
How fast are you going when you do this?

I'm almost sure it's the torque converter locking back up. It has to unlock for the RPM's to get down that low (mine actually doesn't go down when I let off the gas if I'm moving over 25mph) because the TQ stays locked on mine. Not sure why the difference.

I notice a small jerk on mine when the TC locks (right after the 2 to 3 shift). Nothing major, just something I noticed

edit: Also, I saw in your other post a comment about the delay being something that can't be gotten rid of. This is wrong. BMW could fix it--corvettes for example do not have this delay, and they're quite a bit more powerful in a lot of cases

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-07-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:51 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:

I'm almost sure it's the torque converter locking back up. It has to unlock for the RPM's to get down that low (mine actually doesn't go down when I let off the gas if I'm moving over 25mph) because the TQ stays locked on mine. Not sure why the difference.

I notice a small jerk on mine when the TC locks (right after the 2 to 3 shift). Nothing major, just something I noticed

edit: Also, I saw in your other post a comment about the delay being something that can't be gotten rid of. This is wrong. BMW could fix it--corvettes for example do not have this delay, and they're quite a bit more powerful in a lot of cases
I suspect there is a difference in the locking points of the Sports Auto Trans, my car behaves pretty much like a manual transmission car when decelerating. Just without the manual down shifts (obviously ). When I get off the gas the car downshifts after it matches revs automatically. It is really the best of both worlds, I can shift is I want to, but even if I don't I get the up/down shifts as quick as the SMG, but with almost none of the jerking and none of the SMG driveability problems. I love the SAT, best all around tranny for a DD that you want to toss around.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 04-07-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:

the problem esists only on low speed maybe 20-30 MPH and on low RPM around 1000
and it is not jerks , it is kind of slight pushs aka delay between engine and rear wheels
car accelerates beautifully from the dead stop / any gear , the only it happens when you slow down / up
does this means i need to ask dealer to replace a whole SAP transmission ?
who care ... maybe its a good time when car is still under warranty

Last edited by champaign777; 04-07-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
the problem esists only on low speed maybe 20-30 MPH
car accelerates beautifully from the dead stop / any gear , the only it happens when you slow down / up
does this means i need to ask dealer to replace a whole SAP transmission ?
who care ... maybe its a good time when car is still under warranty
Reread my previous post. I think it's perfectly normal on the Sports Auto Trans, it pretty much seems to act like a manual transmission.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 04-07-2013, 06:27 PM

thanks pjinca exactly, the "problem" ONLY when decelerating
one more thing i noticed when i started to use manual shifts in SAP it was jerky , now after one month and 1k miles it much much better ,
i can only guess that no one used manual shifts before me and now SAP learned my shifting

Last edited by champaign777; 04-07-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
thanks pjinca exactly, the "problem" ONLY when decelerating
one more thing i noticed when i started to use manual shifts in SAP it was jerky , now after one month and 1k miles it much much better ,
i can only guess no one uses manual shifts before me and now SAP learned my shifting
That is quite possible, I rarely use my manual shift mode, it is a TON of fun when I do though. It is truly like having all the benefits of the SMG or a Manual without any of the drawbacks, SAT is the perfect solution.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 04-07-2013, 07:17 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
I suspect there is a difference in the locking points of the Sports Auto Trans, my car behaves pretty much like a manual transmission car when decelerating. Just without the manual down shifts (obviously ). When I get off the gas the car downshifts after it matches revs automatically. It is really the best of both worlds, I can shift is I want to, but even if I don't I get the up/down shifts as quick as the SMG, but with almost none of the jerking and none of the SMG driveability problems. I love the SAT, best all around tranny for a DD that you want to toss around.
That makes sense
Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 PM

i too tested 3 manual transmissions before i chose SAP, once you try SAP you just cant go back to anything else
i also noticed that SAP's pads shift differently from SAP's manual and twice as faster
in this order
Sport button pads mode
Sport button manual mode
Sport button sport mode
Sport button drive mode
pads mode
manual mode
sport mode
drive mode

Just another example of BMW Overengineering

Last edited by champaign777; 04-07-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 6Spd 550I w Sports Pk
Guys,...dont fool yourselves into thinking that 6speed manuals arent the shiznit.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chaze View Post
Guys,...dont fool yourselves into thinking that 6speed manuals arent the shiznit.
Nothing wrong with a manual, but in a time when the only real racing series still using a traditional manual gearbox is NASCAR, it's time to appreciate and embrace the new technology. Most of the cars I have owned have been manuals, but having driven is traffic in Boston, NYC, Wash DC, and L.A.? I was looking for alternatives, my left leg needed a break.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe