Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Xeraphim Xeraphim is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: Soon -X1
BMW X1 vs Acura RDX

I'm looking to purchase an SUV in the near future and have decided on either the X1 Msport with Xdrive or the Acura RDX with Tech Package. Now I've test driven both of these vehicles and tend to like the BMW more than the Acura, but my co-workers have told me horror stories about driving a BMW up in Virginia / Maryland. My last BMW was an M3 that was driven primarily in Texas / Florida where the temperature never changes and the roads are always flat.

With that in mind we do get snow up here and part of the reason I want to get an SUV type vehicle is due to the bad roads. I really don't plan to take it off into the woods and go 4x4ing like I would with a Jeep, but I am interested in hearing people's opinions about this wonderful little car.

1.) Are there any issues I should be aware of (IE HPFP blowouts like with the 135 and 335 that my co-workers are warning me about)
2.) How does it handle in rough terrain
3.) Does anyone have any personal experience with either of these vehicles that could offer advice
4.) Anything that would make you consider not buying this vehicle?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 PM
edx1's Avatar
edx1 edx1 is offline
Missing German roads
Location: Wasatch front
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
1) HPFP was mainly with the N54 and after a few attempts by BMW have appeared to have solved that for the N54. The newer N55 (xDrive35i) fuel pump is different and there haven't been any reports of the problem. The N20 (xDrive28i) is very, very different engine but has been solid, though I personally am avoiding that engine and going with the more proven N55 with a lower boost, 6 speed auto and non cylinder coated technology just to help avoid potential problems 10+ years down the road as I plan to keep it for hopefully 200k+ miles.

2) Haven't driven it on 4x4 roads but it's really not designed for off roading. There's good clearance but not X3 clearance but anyone who does major off roading or deep woods stuff should look at a rover IMO.

3) Can't help there. I didn't consider the RDX because it's just too tall and would be more wobbly when corning than I would ever consider. We tested the X3, EX35, Tiguan, Q5, are all too bloated to be driven hard around corners.

4) The X1 lacks bells and whistles found elsewhere but IMO if you want a solid 'drivers' compact crossover that handles well and has some decent HP behind it the X1 is in a class of its own. The X1 isn't for everyone but if the HPFP is what's keeping you away, it shouldn't.

If I had to list my biggest concerns it's the moonroof leaking or breaking, ASS and 8 speed transmission extra wear and tear, run flat tires, mechatronic, and cylinder coating on the 28i in that order. The X1 has been in Europe for 4 years and it's had very few problems.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 AM
Xeraphim Xeraphim is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: Soon -X1
edx1:

Thank you for the response. When I was talking about rough terrain I really was not thinking of something along the lines of 4x4 ing or complete off roading. I was thinking more along the lines of snowy roads or unplowwed roads, or New York style pavement. I did test drive the same vehicles that you mentioned and foundthe Audi and the VW were both solid in my book until I drove the BMW. After that the only thing that came close and it is still a distant second is the Acura.

I would also like to thank you because I had not considered the 35i engine until just now. I was looking at the 28i only due to the perfect combination of fuel efficency and horsepower for me.

If you have any other things that I should compare and consider please post.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 AM
HotRodW HotRodW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southwest Michigan
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 265
Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
I seriously considered an RDX AWD before purchasing the X1. The RDX is a solid value with good power and exceptional fuel economy, but it falls short in a few areas. The price is very competitive, but I've never liked the all or nothing pricing strategy Acura uses. I understand that it simplifies the manufacturing process, but buying one large package to get one or two options you may want is ridiculous. I was also put off by my only Acura dealership's unwillingness to negotiate. And no height adjustment, manual or power, on the passenger seat is a serious oversight in a $40k vehicle.

More important than the options issue, however, is the change Acura made to the RDX's AWD system. To say that I disagree with the approach to ditch one of the most sophisticated AWD systems in the industry and adapt the CR-V's rather basic system is an understatement. I know most Acura customers don't get it and/or don't car, but enthusiasts certainly do. At the very least they could have offered a brake-based torque vectoring system to at least look like they still give a sh!t about dynamics. Beyond disappointing!

Most RDX owners seem to be very happy with their purchase. There does appear to be two technical issues affecting the early cars: one is a clunking rear suspension in cold climates, thought to be the rear shocks, and the other is a vibration issue which seems to be transmission-related. Acura has yet to seriously address the issues.
__________________
Rod


2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,562
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
1) HPFP was mainly with the N54 and after a few attempts by BMW have appeared to have solved that for the N54. The newer N55 (xDrive35i) fuel pump is different and there haven't been any reports of the problem.
This is not correct. The N55 and N54 both use the same HPFP (the injectors are different, however.) The pumps are different from the original 2007 pumps (perhaps that what you meant, but poor phrasing?)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM
edx1's Avatar
edx1 edx1 is offline
Missing German roads
Location: Wasatch front
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
This is not correct. The N55 and N54 both use the same HPFP (the injectors are different, however.) The pumps are different from the original 2007 pumps (perhaps that what you meant, but poor phrasing?)
I thought both the replacement N54 HPFP's had different part numbers than the N55 HPFP and that the pressure in the fuel pressure in the N55 is lower than the N54, but maybe I'm wrong... Somewhere I thought I read the N55 went back to the same FP desgn as the N52, I'm guessing I got that wrong or maybe it was the injectors but I'll have to bow out as uninformed in this area it appears.

On the N20, it's an amazing engine and really the only reason to not get it is you want just a little extra HP, torque and more space to mod, however at a fairly decent MPG drop, or if you are slightly past the reasonable state for being worried about reliability and want something proven before you buy or if you will be driving the car into the ground as I am. I think the biggest potential weakest link on the 28 is not the engine but primarily the ASS and extra gear shifts on the 8 speed. Mercedes tried the cylinder coating years ago and most of those engines lasted about 50k miles but hopefully the N20 has very little in common with that coating technology.

For snow and minor off roading, others have reported it's done well. Snow tires though have been said to make the biggest difference of course. There are some videos on youtube comparing xDrive and other manufacturers technologies but often the tests are designed to highlight areas their own brand do better at. There are videos as well of X1's getting stuck in the snow when going through fields (not roads) but the big question is what tires it had as the stock rft's really aren't good for field snow or heavy snow either. Most all current awd systems will do just fine for fairly deep snow with the right driver and decent tires. I also found the 35i to be more smooth on the torque curve which can be good for snow and ice. I know someone who had a X5M and said the extra power and inconsistent torque curve on it was so bad that they had a hard time getting up a hill to their home at times and after their lease ended they bought a lower end X5 with smoother torque and never had a problem getting up the hill since. I think for the X1 35 vs 28 it's probably such a small difference though it's not worth much thought.

Last edited by edx1; 03-05-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 AM
3ismagic#'s Avatar
3ismagic# 3ismagic# is offline
HerrDoktorProfessor
Location: land of milk and honey
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,048
Mein Auto: '11 335d
Read the E90 section. There have been a few who have had HPFP issues with the N55. Many, many fewer but I wouldn't say it is completely solved.
There is also the issues of carbon buildup on the air intakes but that is not unique to BMW but is a problem with all direct injection engines.

OP your coworkers horror stories are probably from nimrods who have RWD car and don't use winter tires. In that circumstance then yes it will be terrible.

I live in central PA where we get a lot more snow and my RWD bimmer has done very well in the snow with a proper set of winter tires (blizzaks).

With AWD you might be able to get away with all-seasons in the DC area but with winter tires an AWD X1 would be awesome in the snow.
__________________

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Kamdog's Avatar
Kamdog Kamdog is offline
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,869
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
The RDX went to a CR-V AWD system. That means it is front wheel drive until the front wheels slip, then the rears kick in. They did that because it is way cheaper and weighs less, and, frankly, most customers won't know or care.

That takes it out of any full time AWD class.
__________________

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Xeraphim Xeraphim is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
OP your coworkers horror stories are probably from nimrods who have RWD car and don't use winter tires. In that circumstance then yes it will be terrible.

I live in central PA where we get a lot more snow and my RWD bimmer has done very well in the snow with a proper set of winter tires (blizzaks).

With AWD you might be able to get away with all-seasons in the DC area but with winter tires an AWD X1 would be awesome in the snow.
I'm only semi concerned with the snow. In the time I've spent up here it hasn't snowed much and when it does I have been able to navigate through it like a sled dog compared to many people up here. What I'm more concerned with is the after effects of the snow (pot holes /cracked roads / horrible road maintenance). I am planning on moving a bit further west where I may encounter deeper snow (hence the SUV and questions) but from what I have been reading the ride comfort and height should be perfect for what I'm looking for. Thank you for your feedback 3ismagic. I've owned a BMW in the past and have absolutely loved the service I have received, but like I said.... when I get a few people warning me about certain issues it makes me wonder if quality has gone down since I owned one or if I'm just in love with what I had in the past.


Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
On the N20, it's an amazing engine and really the only reason to not get it is you want just a little extra HP, torque and more space to mod, however at a fairly decent MPG drop, or if you are slightly past the reasonable state for being worried about reliability and want something proven before you buy or if you will be driving the car into the ground as I am. I think the biggest potential weakest link on the 28 is not the engine but primarily the ASS and extra gear shifts on the 8 speed. Mercedes tried the cylinder coating years ago and most of those engines lasted about 50k miles but hopefully the N20 has very little in common with that coating technology.

For snow and minor off roading, others have reported it's done well. Snow tires though have been said to make the biggest difference of course. There are some videos on youtube comparing xDrive and other manufacturers technologies but often the tests are designed to highlight areas their own brand do better at. There are videos as well of X1's getting stuck in the snow when going through fields (not roads) but the big question is what tires it had as the stock rft's really aren't good for field snow or heavy snow either. Most all current awd systems will do just fine for fairly deep snow with the right driver and decent tires. I also found the 35i to be more smooth on the torque curve which can be good for snow and ice. I know someone who had a X5M and said the extra power and inconsistent torque curve on it was so bad that they had a hard time getting up a hill to their home at times and after their lease ended they bought a lower end X5 with smoother torque and never had a problem getting up the hill since. I think for the X1 35 vs 28 it's probably such a small difference though it's not worth much thought.
EDX1, Thank you again for your succinct response. I'm not planning to do field driving, just move further west for better land and lower prices. Like I stated to 3isMagic, I have learned how to drive in the snow, but I was looking how it would handle bad roads and deeper than freshly plowed snow. Both of your responses have helped me understand that the X1 should not have a problem with that as long as I am not one of these knuckleheads that thinks that because I have AWD I am invincible. For me, however the higher MPG/KPL is more important to me than higher power curves. I typically only own a car for 5-7 years before trading it in for something newer so with the basic and extended warranty I will probably be looking at a 2018 X1 unless I have a family or decide to move back to Texas and toss my money at M6.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
I seriously considered an RDX AWD before purchasing the X1. The RDX is a solid value with good power and exceptional fuel economy, but it falls short in a few areas. The price is very competitive, but I've never liked the all or nothing pricing strategy Acura uses. I understand that it simplifies the manufacturing process, but buying one large package to get one or two options you may want is ridiculous. I was also put off by my only Acura dealership's unwillingness to negotiate. And no height adjustment, manual or power, on the passenger seat is a serious oversight in a $40k vehicle.

More important than the options issue, however, is the change Acura made to the RDX's AWD system. To say that I disagree with the approach to ditch one of the most sophisticated AWD systems in the industry and adapt the CR-V's rather basic system is an understatement. I know most Acura customers don't get it and/or don't car, but enthusiasts certainly do. At the very least they could have offered a brake-based torque vectoring system to at least look like they still give a sh!t about dynamics. Beyond disappointing!

Most RDX owners seem to be very happy with their purchase. There does appear to be two technical issues affecting the early cars: one is a clunking rear suspension in cold climates, thought to be the rear shocks, and the other is a vibration issue which seems to be transmission-related. Acura has yet to seriously address the issues.
HotRod, I couldn't agree with you more. I was interested in the RDX and like I said liked the ride comfort, but the issue that I am aware of and my exprience with BMW had me curious about this model. That and the fact that the RDX is missing features that I enjoy with the X1 has me leaning towards the BMW. None the less I figured I would see if there were any noticable issues or other aspects (such as EDX1 pointed out) that I should consider before making my decisions.

Again thank you to those that have contributed and if you have anything to add I am more than willing to learn or listen to any advice you may have. This has been very informative to me.

-X
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 AM
HotRodW HotRodW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southwest Michigan
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 265
Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Although you'll be able to get around in the snow (and the dry) far better in the X1, you do have a right to be concerned about potholes as well as ride comfort. The X1 has a firm ride, but it's mostly acceptable. My M Sport has a tendency to porpoise over expansion joints at times, and that can and has been an issue for my passengers. I ditched the runflats late last fall in favor of conventional 17" winter treads, and it has helped but not eliminated the issue. I'm seriously considering getting rid of the summer runflats when it comes time to mount the factory 18's in a few weeks as well. Potholes and runflats are a bad mix, and Michigan is famous for its potholes.
__________________
Rod


2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Xeraphim Xeraphim is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Although you'll be able to get around in the snow (and the dry) far better in the X1, you do have a right to be concerned about potholes as well as ride comfort. The X1 has a firm ride, but it's mostly acceptable. My M Sport has a tendency to porpoise over expansion joints at times, and that can and has been an issue for my passengers. I ditched the runflats late last fall in favor of conventional 17" winter treads, and it has helped but not eliminated the issue. I'm seriously considering getting rid of the summer runflats when it comes time to mount the factory 18's in a few weeks as well. Potholes and runflats are a bad mix, and Michigan is famous for its potholes.
My issue is (and I know this is hypocryticall coming from Texas/Florida), but it seems up here in VA/MD is that they seem to freak out when a single flake falls from the sky and salt the roads and run the ploughs through. What they fail to do is fix the roads months after issues develop due to the cold (cold nights / warm days / expansion-contraction). I expect bumps in the snow but I don't want to have a jarred spine or feel like I'm driving over rumble strips every winter. How bad is the bounce and/or jitter that you experience on your driving everyday in Michigan Hotrod?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 AM
HotRodW HotRodW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southwest Michigan
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 265
Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
My issue is (and I know this is hypocryticall coming from Texas/Florida), but it seems up here in VA/MD is that they seem to freak out when a single flake falls from the sky and salt the roads and run the ploughs through. What they fail to do is fix the roads months after issues develop due to the cold (cold nights / warm days / expansion-contraction). I expect bumps in the snow but I don't want to have a jarred spine or feel like I'm driving over rumble strips every winter. How bad is the bounce and/or jitter that you experience on your driving everyday in Michigan Hotrod?
Well, at least people don't freak out when the snow flies here. In fact, it barely slows us down at all. The road crews tend to start out strong for the early snowfalls, but by this phase of winter the sense of urgency to clear the roads is gone.

I won't sugar coat it ... the bounce can take its toll. A two or three mile stretch of asphalt on a 40 mph road near my house is buckled pretty badly. Any vehicle bounces on that road, but the X1 feels like it's driving over speed bumps. Most of the highways aren't too bad, but a particular section of I-94 near Battle Creek simply doesn't agree with the M Sport's suspension. The passing lane is decent, but the driving lane is brutal. It's aged concrete, although at a glance it appears to be relatively smooth. But if you have the speed just right, the car porpoises incessantly. You cannot rest your head against the headrest, and it can literally make passengers motion sick. I only wish I were exaggerating. I cannot say if the base suspension would react the same way.
__________________
Rod


2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Xeraphim Xeraphim is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Well, at least people don't freak out when the snow flies here. In fact, it barely slows us down at all. The road crews tend to start out strong for the early snowfalls, but by this phase of winter the sense of urgency to clear the roads is gone.

I won't sugar coat it ... the bounce can take its toll. A two or three mile stretch of asphalt on a 40 mph road near my house is buckled pretty badly. Any vehicle bounces on that road, but the X1 feels like it's driving over speed bumps. Most of the highways aren't too bad, but a particular section of I-94 near Battle Creek simply doesn't agree with the M Sport's suspension. The passing lane is decent, but the driving lane is brutal. It's aged concrete, although at a glance it appears to be relatively smooth. But if you have the speed just right, the car porpoises incessantly. You cannot rest your head against the headrest, and it can literally make passengers motion sick. I only wish I were exaggerating. I cannot say if the base suspension would react the same way.
Now I know my M had a sports mode feature that would firm up the suspension (would through the engine into tuning mode pretty much). I don't remember seeing that in the X1 I test drove, but I could be mistaken. Does the M Sport come with this and if it does are you driving in this?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM
HotRodW HotRodW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southwest Michigan
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 265
Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
Now I know my M had a sports mode feature that would firm up the suspension (would through the engine into tuning mode pretty much). I don't remember seeing that in the X1 I test drove, but I could be mistaken. Does the M Sport come with this and if it does are you driving in this?
No - it doesn't have adjustable suspension. I wish it did
__________________
Rod


2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM
nospam nospam is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
You have to move up to X3 for adaptive suspension.

X1 is sportier especially since the RDX got rid of SHAWD for a cheaper system. RDX gives you more comfort features for a lower price while the X1 gives better performance.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Xeraphim Xeraphim is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
You have to move up to X3 for adaptive suspension.

X1 is sportier especially since the RDX got rid of SHAWD for a cheaper system. RDX gives you more comfort features for a lower price while the X1 gives better performance.
Yeah, I liked the interior of the X3 much better than the X1, but I preferred the handling and the MPG / KPL of the X1. The RDX was the closest to the X1 in terms of performance / fuel efficiency, comfort, and handling. If anything the X3 and Q5 are the next steps that I would look at, but for my needs are a slight bit of overkill
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM
bjbolduc bjbolduc is offline
BJB
Location: Ridgewood NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: X1
On the topic of road quality, my x1 is much much better road feel than my wife's x3
It's pretty smooth on winter roads in nj
Fantastic driving vehicle and great economy
Only caveat is space behind seats is tight. Ability to carry stuff is limited
I would call it a gti for adults. It reminds me of my old gti bc(before children
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by bjbolduc; 03-05-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 AM
3284me's Avatar
3284me 3284me is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 949
Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
I am in the market for a new small SUV for my wife and I am seriously considering an x1. Since I have a 328xi I already have had 0 issues driving in snow even with all season tires. My father bough a CRV last year which is essentially the same ad a RDX except it only comes with an under powered 4 cylinder engine. Even thought the RDX is classified as a small SUV it has much more room in the back hatch area. If you can live with that I think you will enjoy the x1's driving experience more.
__________________

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Ex-One Ex-One is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: RX-8
There is something wrong with the RDX's transmission. It takes forever to shift when in sport mode and using the paddle shifters. For that reason alone I crossed it off my list. Not to mention the lack of a panoramic sunroof.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM
LePew LePew is offline
Future X1 *****
Location: Southeastern MI
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
I won't sugar coat it ... the bounce can take its toll. A two or three mile stretch of asphalt on a 40 mph road near my house is buckled pretty badly. Any vehicle bounces on that road, but the X1 feels like it's driving over speed bumps. Most of the highways aren't too bad, but a particular section of I-94 near Battle Creek simply doesn't agree with the M Sport's suspension. The passing lane is decent, but the driving lane is brutal. It's aged concrete, although at a glance it appears to be relatively smooth. But if you have the speed just right, the car porpoises incessantly. You cannot rest your head against the headrest, and it can literally make passengers motion sick. I only wish I were exaggerating. I cannot say if the base suspension would react the same way.
HotRod, you're worrying me! I'm in SE Mich and know those roads. Waiting for my 14MY M-sport, having not even driven an X1 with the sport suspension (the only one in Michigan was in Grand Rapids). Maybe you feel the porpoising in this vehicle because the cabin is set so far back?
I'm hoping it's not so bad for me... I'm used to a pretty stiff suspension from my MINI.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
HotRodW HotRodW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southwest Michigan
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 265
Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePew View Post
HotRod, you're worrying me! I'm in SE Mich and know those roads. Waiting for my 14MY M-sport, having not even driven an X1 with the sport suspension (the only one in Michigan was in Grand Rapids). Maybe you feel the porpoising in this vehicle because the cabin is set so far back?
I'm hoping it's not so bad for me... I'm used to a pretty stiff suspension from my MINI.
Sorry to scare you. I have only the best intentions by telling my experience. If it's any consolation, it doesn't appear to be a common problem. And you should also feel comforted that I make it to your part of the state on a regular basis, and I don't recall experiencing the bouncing out there. Impact harshness from large bumps, yes, but not the porpoising.

The porpoising was not evident during my test drive on asphalt. I have speculated previously that it could be a speed-related issue, where traveling within a specific speed range over evenly spaced expansion joints causes the car's suspension to rhythm into its own version of the Polka. I tend to travel with the cruise set around 80, which registers at 75 on the GPS. If I can stand to do it, I'll have to drop my speed 5 mph or so the next time it begins the Oktoberfest two-step to see what happens.
__________________
Rod


2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM
3ismagic#'s Avatar
3ismagic# 3ismagic# is offline
HerrDoktorProfessor
Location: land of milk and honey
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,048
Mein Auto: '11 335d
I grew up in Michigan. That state invented the paved road (Woodward ave) and used to have first rate roads until the 1990s. We used to go to visit family in Indiana and chicago and you always knew when you hit the border because the roads went to shiznit. The opposite is true now. in the 1990s the state privatized the road crews and the roads have never been the same. Some potholes can be seen from Google Earth.
__________________

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
jhopet14 jhopet14 is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: x1
I lived in one of the city here in Canada where tons of tons of snow every winter, my X1 deal with it at all times.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms