Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM
2014 640XI Vert

Mein Auto: 14 BMW 640xi convertible
Cool has anyone upgraded their factory audio

I dont want to put a boooomin system in my car, but i really need to do somthing to enhance my factory audio...

1st i dont want anyone taking my car apart
2nd its driving me crazy when good music is playing and the volume is completly turnd up..

I was thinking of somthing small....i have so much audio equipment in my garage frm the last 15 years its rediculous.....ive always been a fan of SAS tubes over boxes, because i like the deep bass, and low OHMs i get frm the tubes...

I came across a set of 8 inch tubes in the garage, i figured i could replace the speakers in there with some JL audio speakers, and possibly add 2 mids somewhere on the interior..

I have a vert and dont want to use every last drop of space by putting a box, i think the tubes will give me the little extra i need, plus dont want to spend too much,.....

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK,......I JUST NEED A LITTLE MORE UUUUMPH..

2014 640XI CONVERTIBLE
ALPINE WHITE/BLACK DAKOTA LEATHER

2nm 20 inch wheels
5% tint
M-Pkg
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2013, 05:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i
Generally the best, simplest thing you can do is put in a better amplifier. If you have the base factory system, it's running a digital amplifier. Replacing this with a decent class A/B analog unit, even with the factory speakers will make a huge improvement. Unfortunately, this is where my assistance ends. Without vehicle electrical schematics and data, I have no clue how the thing is wired, where the amp is and what the pre-post pinouts are like.

If you're experienced and up to the challenge, you need to find the amp and check the preamp harness inputs for voltage range and impedance so you can find a compatible amplifier. You also need to understand how the speakers are arranged along with their impedance to make sure the new amp has sufficient current capacity.

That said, I would be very cautious messing around with BMW electronics. These vehicles are very sensitive electronically speaking, as can be garnered form these forums. Unless the audio system is isolated from the body computer, any change can result in glitches and errors.

Last edited by Bönz; 03-16-2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 318I
i would be interested to know too =)