Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3 2.8i
Guidance for oil change on X3 2.8i with N20 engine

--I tried to search for an oil change guide on a 2013 X3 2.8i with the N20 engine but didn't find anything.

If you've done it I'd appreciate any guidance on the following:

oil filter socket wrench needed
oil quantity you observed needing
any other special tools you found needed
torque settings for oil filter cover and drain plug

and..

any other gotcha's you found bmw left for you.

Thanks one and all!

~p
Ads by Google
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=549519
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM

saw that one..

--Hi there yes I saw that one too and that is for a 2011 2.8 liter X3 (the old inline six?) where as ours is the new N20 engine which came out in 2012 for the 2013 model year X3's. While ours is also called an X3 2.8i, our engine is the small little 2.0 liter turbo four cylinder.

the tell tale is that the oil for our 2.0 liter is 6 quarts of oil, whereas the larger 2.8 liter requires 7 quarts.

Thanks tho.

I'll keep looking.

~p
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
You may want to enquire in this thread:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733283
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Oil change guidelines

Hello,

I took delivery on my x3 28i a little more than 600 miles ago. When I picked the car up the dealer said to change the synthetic oil once every 7000 miles.

Under the warranty the dealer pays for one oil change every 14000 miles.

What I found interesting is that there is no dipstick. Apparently the vehicle is "smart" enough to tell us when to add oil, oh, and the dealer also said it is not unusual for the x3 to use a quart of oil between oil changes, not sure if this is one quart every 14k miles or 7k miles

ERK

Last edited by erkbiz; 03-15-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added content
Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Oh yes I am very familiar with BMW and MINI's oil change policy. Make no mistake this advice is due to the fact that they have to provide the oil change to you for free. If you intend on keeping your vehicle running in top form then changing the oil after the initial break in and continue to change the oil and filter every 2000 to 4000 miles is a good idea. There are numerous discussions on this but all of the engine and oil experts agree, oil breaks down, and oil filters get clogged in less than 7000 miles. For anyone interested in a detailed dicsussion on viscosity and how shearing affects your engine have a read here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/effects-of-shearing/

Again the advice that they give us is financially motivated, and has nothing to do with the best thing you can do for your vehicle. If you only intend to keep the vehicle for the duration of the warranty then you can follow their advice to the letter. If you intend to use it past the warranty an additional oil change mid year or every 4 months is a great idea to maintain your engine in top condition.

I have owned a MINI Cooper S for the past 8 years and as they are under BMW as well, all of those mechanics, speedshops, and owners in those forums are in agreement. Every 7000 to 10000 miles for an oil change is too long and will hurt your engine in the long run.

In the interest of keeping this discussion on topic please search for "Should I change my oil earlier" and read and discuss there.

This topic is meant for information gathering for this particular topic.

Thanks everyone.

~p

Last edited by pyratio; 03-15-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratio View Post
Oh yes I am very familiar with BMW and MINI's oil change policy. Make no mistake this advice is due to the fact that they have to provide the oil change to you for free. If you intend on keeping your vehicle running in top form then changing the oil after the initial break in and continue to change the oil and filter every 2000 to 4000 miles. There are numerous discussions on this but all of the engine and oil experts agree, oil breaks down, and oil filters get clogged in less than 7000 miles. For anyone interested in a detailed dicsussion on viscosity and how shearing affects your engine have a read here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/effects-of-shearing/

Again the advice that they give us is financially motivated, and has nothing to do with the best thing you can do for your vehicle. If you only intend to keep the vehicle for the duration of the warranty then you can follow their advice to the letter. If you intend to use it past the warranty an additional oil change mid year or every 4 months is a great idea to maintain your engine in top condition.

I have owned a MINI Cooper S for the past 8 years and as they are under BMW as well, all of those mechanics, speedshops, and owners in those forums are in agreement. Every 7000 to 10000 miles for an oil change is too long and will hurt your engine in the long run.

In there interest of keeping this discussion on topic please search for "Should I change my oil earlier" and read and discuss there.

Thanks everyone.

~p

Interesting opinion and site but all oil experts don't agree that 7,000 to 10,000 miles is to long for an oil change. I read a bunch of stuff on the forums you linked and a lot of people there think the 3,000 mile oil change is to short.

I have spent a lot of time researching this a couple years back and based on what I found 10,000 mile oil change is perfectly fine for a modern car running synthetic oil. The 3,000 mile oil change interval came out in the early 60's when oil and filters were far inferior compared to today and car engines ran a lot dirtier than now. Here is just a quick link to another option http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html
Old 03-15-2013, 10:18 AM

please keep on topic.

--Again, it's your investment, your vehicle do with it as you please.

Let's keep this on topic as this isn't the question.

Thanks.

~p

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
Interesting opinion and site but all oil experts don't agree that 7,000 to 10,000 miles is to long for an oil change. I read a bunch of stuff on the forums you linked and a lot of people there think the 3,000 mile oil change is to short.

I have spent a lot of time researching this a couple years back and based on what I found 10,000 mile oil change is perfectly fine for a modern car running synthetic oil. The 3,000 mile oil change interval came out in the early 60's when oil and filters were far inferior compared to today and car engines ran a lot dirtier than now. Here is just a quick link to another option http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
--Again, it's your investment, your vehicle do with it as you please.

Let's keep this on topic as this isn't the question.

Thanks.

~p
It wasn't the original question but you were the one who introduced your opinion about the the oil change intervals to the thread.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Thanks Colson I appreciate your opinion as well. I have asked that these discussions be moved to the threads specifically asking that question.

"
In there interest of keeping this discussion on topic please search for "Should I change my oil earlier" and read and discuss there.

"

Thanks everyone.

~p
Old 03-16-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Pyratio.

There is nothing magic or much different than the oil change for the n52 inline six other than oil sump capacity.

Personally, I change my oil first at 1,500 miles and every 7500 there after. I'm at 110k on my 09 x3 and it runs like brand new.

Procedure:

1) go to dealer and buy the oil and filter (usually around $50 with BMWCCA discount).

2) get car to operating temp

3) open up oil fill cap

4) go to bottom of car. In the splash shield you will see a roughly 4 inch x 4 inch plastic cover. On the e83 it snaps on and the f25 with n52 it's held on with 2 8mm bolts.

5) put pan under it and use a 17mm socket to remove drain plug and washer.

6) while oil drains, use special wrench tool to unscrew oil filter cap inside engine bay at top of engine. I use the one from ecstuning.

7) once off, use a reversed ziplock bag on your hand to pull off filter from housing. Replace both o rings. Place new filter back on housing and reinstall. 2.3nm torque...it's on the cap but I use the green lines from the factory.

8) put oil drain plug back on block with new washer 7 n m roughly...also I now use feel not a torque wrench

9) refill engine with oil. I believe the n20 is either 5 - 6 qts. Dealer will confirm when you buy oil. I would drain into gallon milk jug and then judge off of how many quart containers are then full.

Last edited by x3brian; 03-16-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:36 AM

Accusing BMW of chiseling on the maintenance plan by setting long oil service intervals is a bum rap.

BMWNA has instructed all dealers to perform maintenance plan oil service on both the 35i and the 28i at intervals not longer than one year regardless of mileage. I take care of three 2012 X3 35i's that have had "low mileage" oil service at 4K, 6K, and 8K miles respectively, at about their first anniversary after delivery at no charge and fully expect that this will happen every year.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:56 AM

gracias

--Thanks X3Brian.

I worked on jet engines previously and have worked on cars all my life so I know a thing or two about wrenching. I've done head removals, engine transplants, performance upgrades, suspension upgrades (in my own garage by myself), and have basically taken apart nearly everything in the engine bay.

I also work on my own Mini Cooper S so I've got acquainted with bmw specialty tools and torque requirements on just about everything.

I guess what I'm looking for specifically is:

1.) the part number for the Oil filter filter socket and or where to get it

2.) Any torque wrench settings for the drain plug and or oil filter cover

I guess if no one has this specific information I will endeavor on to do this oil change and perhaps take pictures and put together a "how to" for this and other X3 forums.

Thanks everyone.

~p
Old 03-16-2013, 10:59 AM

please stay on topic

--thanks leighton, please take this discussion to the threads discussing this. the simple fact is I like my oil to be changed at break in, and every 2500 to 4500 miles. BMW won't do this for me, and I can do it myself so I will. Thanks.

~p

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton View Post
Accusing BMW of chiseling on the maintenance plan by setting long oil service intervals is a bum rap.

BMWNA has instructed all dealers to perform maintenance plan oil service on both the 35i and the 28i at intervals not longer than one year regardless of mileage. I take care of three 2012 X3 35i's that have had "low mileage" oil service at 4K, 6K, and 8K miles respectively, at about their first anniversary after delivery at no charge and fully expect that this will happen every year.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:

I guess what I'm looking for specifically is:

1.) the part number for the Oil filter filter socket and or where to get it

2.) Any torque wrench settings for the drain plug and or oil filter cover

I guess if no one has this specific information I will endeavor on to do this oil change and perhaps take pictures and put together a "how to" for this and other X3 forums.

Thanks everyone.

~p
I gave the torque specs 2.3 nm for filter and 7 nm for drain plug. The filter removal tool is available at ecstuning.com.

The oil filter part number is 11427566327 per real oem. Looks line the same part as the n52 inline 6 in my x3.

Here's the link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...34&hg=11&fg=30

I don't think a DIY is in order...like I said nothing magic here. If you have rebuilt heads before this is quite literally a 15 - 20 minute job. You will be impressed with how well engineered it is.

It is so easy I get frustrated that dealers charge so much. Like I said though filter and oil is around $50 bones. I like to only use the BMW 5w30. Without a coupon I have seen dealers charge 159 for a mid change oil service. Ridiculous!

Last edited by x3brian; 03-16-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:04 PM

--Thanks X3Brian. does the oil filter require a special socket wrench? Or rather to the point what do you use? My MINI cooper requires a special 36mm socket or bmw specialty socket.

I think diy are great especially for new engines. It takes the fear out of simple jobs like this and takes the wind out of dealers that think $180 is ok to charge for jobs like this.

Thanks again.

~p

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
I gave the torque specs 2.3 nm for filter and 7 nm for drain plug.

The oil filter part number is 11427566327 per real oem. Looks line the same part as the n52 inline 6 in my x3.

Here's the link:

I don't think a DIY is in order...like I said nothing magic here. If you have rebuilt heads before this is quite literally a 15 - 20 minute job. You will be impressed with how well engineered it is.

It is so easy I get frustrated that dealers charge so much. Like I said though filter and oil is around $50 bones. I like to only use the BMW 5w30.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:17 PM

I'm not sure which mini you had but its a similar oil filter housing. As pointed to above its part two in the diagram:

The wrench can be purchased here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F25-xDr...ool/ES2167951/

Last edited by x3brian; 03-17-2013 at 06:51 AM.