Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-24-2013, 06:57 AM
what does this button do?

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
balllast or bulb- xenon headlight turned pink

In our 08 535xit we have the adaptive xenon headlights. Lights have been working fine for some time, other then an occasional blown AE bulb, but yesterday we go to start-up the car, in the evening, turn on the head lights and find that one headlight is outputting in a pinkish color. It almost looks like somebody swapped the bulb with a different temperature output. The other head light works fine and outputs light correctly.

I've never had a problem like this, wondering if you guys think it's the bulb or the ballast? I'm leaning toward ballast since usually when a bulb goes, it stops work, not changes temperature. Has anybody had this problem before? The car is CPO, I am hoping it will be covered.

Thanks,

Current:
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
Retired:
95 e36 M3/5spd, 96 328is/5spd, 97 540iA, 98 528iA, 01 X5 4.4iA, 03 325xiA, 04 530iA, 02 330Cic/5spd, 08 535xit
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
More likely a bulb. You will need to replace pair, otherwise will be different color.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
No, it's not covered under CPO. BMW calls the bulb a wear and tear item:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...otCovered.aspx

D1S Bulbs and change in pairs like phlfly said as the other one will "pink out" before the newer one. They usually go pink indicating they're dying.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 AM

Thanks guys, off to buy a pair of bulbs. I guess I can cancel the service appt.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0lt3c View Post
I guess I can cancel the service appt.
Yeaaaa, I would do that too. The dealer would probably charge about $600 (conservative) to install both bulbs, when for around maybe $200 (depending on where you get them) you can get both. Then the install is not too difficult especially if you have a little bit of working hands, or an Indy would be way less expensive and there's no coding required.
Good luck.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:25 PM

Ordered the following D1S bulbs from Amazon -- They cost $38 shipped.

Used the following excellent DIY post from a bimmerfest search; http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=647366

Spent about 90 minutes working on the first headlight R&R and maybe 15 minutes on the second one. Didn't have to remove the bumper and the bulb fit perfectly.

Pretty happy I cancelled that $600 service appointment... Lights seems to be working as good as ever now.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: f30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
No, it's not covered under CPO. BMW calls the bulb a wear and tear item:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...otCovered.aspx

D1S Bulbs and change in pairs like phlfly said as the other one will "pink out" before the newer one. They usually go pink indicating they're dying.
I had exact same thing happen to one of my bulbs on my 05 right before my CPO warranty ran out....and it WAS covered. Furthermore, I only had the one replaced and they both looked the same color to me afterward
Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
I had exact same thing happen to one of my bulbs on my 05 right before my CPO warranty ran out....and it WAS covered. Furthermore, I only had the one replaced and they both looked the same color to me afterward
Did your dealer do it as a "good will" because the CPO was going to run out and it was only one bulb? They will look the same afterwards because the one that wasn't changed was still good, but the one that wasn't changed may turn pink before the one that was changed as their life cycles are not matched. It's good practice to do both at once because they're not lifetime bulbs.

The OP saved $12 at best.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I had the same issue and replaced both bulbs. They both light up but the lights aren't doing their initial side to side movement at initial start like they used to. Is this a programming issue? Thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i 2005
Means your bulb is almost out. Just change it. This happened to me too. My right bulb was pink and eventually went out.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 '06
Most likely the bulb. Theres a change on the gas contents inside the bulb making the colour shift.. It shouldnt be hard to replace by yourself and as far as I know no warranty covers bulbs unless you buy the bulb seperately then you get the bulb's manufacturer warranty.

It is also adviseable to change BOTH bulbs to acquire the same colour, xenon bulbs are known to shift in their colour after prolonged use. Hence a new one, despite with same colour and specifications, will result in a slightly different tone. Some people wouldnt mind, but I do lol..