Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 X5
USA Spec DSP ipod adapter question.

I just purchased and installed the USA Spec Ipod adapter in my 2000 X5. My disc changer gave out and it seemed to be the only quality simple option to provide me with some music. I have the DSP business system. The sound quality was amazing with my disc changer. I had high hopes for the adapter! I hooked it up and it works fine but the sound quality is just not as great as my disc changer was. Everyone else seems to say the quality is great in all reviews! Should I be expecting the adapter to be as high quality as my disc changer? I am wondering if I have installed something incorrectly or if my head unit just needs adjusting. Any input from anyone??
Ads by Google
Old 03-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
How did you connect the ipod adapter to the audio system? Did you use the 3 pins and another adapter for the coaxial cable?

Last edited by upallnight; 03-16-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 X5
Yes. From what I can tell there is only one way to connect up the system when you have the DSP stereo. The instructions has me connect the 3-pin connector and then connect the digital audio cable which is a plug adapter. Therefore making it so that I have to run two cords up to the front of the car to the devices interface box. Then the ipod cable is ran from the box to my ipod.

Is there another way to connect the system?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
That's the right way. Some later X's have both the coaxial connector (digital) and the 6 pins connector (analog). But I see that you have an early X so that will only have the coaxial connector.

Since the original audio connections are located in the rear, I would have installed the box at the rear and just ran a wire for the ipod to the front.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 540i 6speed
I have dice and the dsp adapter that had to be added. Sounds all the same to me. I have a cd changer if you feel you need to be back there...