It actually pulls up to remove but the shifter cannot be removed since there are two ribbon wires attached to the shifter. I could put up a DIY, with pictures but I don't have any way to host the pictures. So here it goes without pictures:
1. First remove the shifter surround;
2. Then, there is a ring below the black and aluminum piece that needs to be moved down;
3. Use a flat blade to remove the surround of the side button (used to shift to Reverse). There are two places (top and bottom of surround) that is needs to be pried slowly.
4. Once that is removed, the front plate (aluminum with LED lights needs to be pried from the bottom going up, while pushing the P button to be able to release the front plate.
5. Once that is removed, the ribbon wires can be removed from the shifter;
6. After which the shifter itself can be pulled off straight up.
Assembly is the reverse.
Let me known if there are questions.