Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Need Help...Searched but found nothing specific to my engine issue.

I've owned this 08 535ix CPO w/65Kmiles for a couple months. Same problem has happened three times.
After running car normally with no issues, hiccups, misses, etc, I'll park the car and keep the engine idling. After some amount of idling perfectly smoothly, the engine runs rough briefly then dies. It will start, but then gets rough and dies again. In all three occasions the car has ultimately started back up and run...here are the three scenarios:

1. After long highway run, car idled for close to an hour and died. Got "engine malfunction-reduce power" warning. Car started after sitting for about 20 minutes...drove it to BMW dealer. They replaced HPFP, and low pressure sensor No problems for a few thousand mostly highway miles.

2. After perfectly smooth highway then city driving, parked and shut off car for 5-ish minutes. Started it, idled for about 3 minutes, started driving and it went rough and died 500feet later. Sat for about 10 minutes, started up...but this time I was too chicken to drive it, so had it towed to same dealer. They replaced all six injectors with the most recent version.

3. Normal around town, errand-running...ran great. Ordered a pizza, idled 15minutes then died. Waited a few minutes, it started and ran just well enough to get home (1.5miles), but I had to keep the revs up...and even when moving engine ran rough...like it was missing. Parked car in garage over night. Started fine this morning, but got the service triangle, and the check engine light is staying on.

This seems related to idling...maybe a sensor is getting hot causing intermittent failure? Anyone else have any straws I can grasp at?

I'm about to call the dealer, but thought I'd inquire with the the collective experience here...
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Any codes?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Any codes?
other than a yellow engine light, i dont have a way to know, or do i?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
DIY'er

I'm not sure if an auto parts store can pull the "BMW" codes from these or not. Worth a shot though, they can usually at least get an idea of what the codes are if nothing else

Otherwise you need a OBD cable + INPA to look at them yourself
Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: 530d m5replica
Hi i am new to this site I have a 530d e60 model and is smoking out of the oil filler cap And also Crank case breather but no smoke coming out of dipstick iv been told injectors so iv had them programed no change please help cheers ant
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 AM
Nothing to see here...

Mein Auto: '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
I'm not sure if an auto parts store can pull the "BMW" codes from these or not. Worth a shot though, they can usually at least get an idea of what the codes are if nothing else

Otherwise you need a OBD cable + INPA to look at them yourself
You don't need INPA. Any standard OBD reader will work. <$40 buys you one that can read and clear codes.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:25 PM
DIY'er

But INPA is so much more fun
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM

Well, here's an update...

Car failed AGAIN...registered a low fuel pressure code again. SM at dealer said they are now down to the ONLY part that hasn't been replaced that could cause such a code...the in-tank low pressure fuel pump. Says it is supposed to put out 4.5 BAR of pressure, but it is reading less than 3.5 intermittently, which would "starve" the HPFP, and kick the code via the low pressure fuel sensor, which was replaced twice. Part is ordered, so we'll see. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the hell out of the mac'd out '13 550i xdrive loaner.

I'll post whether this fixes it, if for nothing else for a future searcher to be able to find this, as I couldn't find anything addressing my specific problem.