Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550I GT
My 20 inch Mini Spare solution

Click image for larger version

Name:	550-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	366799

Name:	550-2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	366800

Name:	550-3.png
Views:	55
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	366801

Name:	550-4.png
Views:	48
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	366802

Name:	550-5.png
Views:	54
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	366803

Name:	550-6.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	366804

With a few road trips coming up, I am not comfortable traveling with no spare tire. I am running non-run flat tires, and the possibility of finding a 20 tire on the road is not very good. The Mini Spare is the same height as my full size 20 inch tire. Add a BMW jack kit, and drop it in the rear storage area. I will use a ratchet strap to secure the assembly.
A big thank you to Vince at BimmerZone. I was speaking with him last week about this set-up. He noticed I only lived 30 miles from his shop. He asked if I wanted to stop over so he could check the fit. He met me there on a Sunday morning, installed the Mini Spare, and checked for the proper fit. Thanks again Vince!!
This application should also work with the F10 crowd. The tire does not take up much room at all.
Ads by Google
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
Thanks Lars-GT for the mention

This spare tire setup that we used was the one for the E60 M5, because of the taller tire (vs. the regular F10).

For those GT owners (F07) who will need one, we will set up a page specifically for this tire. (the only problem is at this very moment the tire is out of stock, hard to find). Once we get more in, I will let everyone know.

THanks again Lars-GT!

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerzone View Post
Thanks Lars-GT for the mention

This spare tire setup that we used was the one for the E60 M5, because of the taller tire (vs. the regular F10).

For those GT owners (F07) who will need one, we will set up a page specifically for this tire. (the only problem is at this very moment the tire is out of stock, hard to find). Once we get more in, I will let everyone know.

THanks again Lars-GT!
What about a 19 inch version? Would it work for RWD sport GT (with staggered tires)? I'm ditching the run flats and like this idea for trips.

TIA
DLM

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App
Old 03-17-2013, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
If the wheel is designed for a BMW GT, it does NOT matter what diameter rim it is! The OD of the tire is the same, which is why you can swap from 18-19-20-21-22" wheels on the car and have your speedometer and odometer all work properly and the gear ratios stay the same. If you heed the TPMS warning, and have a small compressor, keeping the pressure up and not actually letting it fall too far (may take stopping periodically) the RFT can be repaired if it is repairable at all, and doesn't or at least shouldn't need to be replaced. It is only if you let it actually get to zero pressure (or probably less than say 20psi) for long or the location of the puncture is outside the tread area that you can trash the structure and it must be replaced.

If you heed the instructions, neither the RFT when flat or the temporary spare should be run for very long, or at higher speeds, so the inconvenience could be severe on a long trip. Most of the temporary spares limit top speed to about the same as the RFT instructions, and shouldn't be driven very far, either.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550I GT
dmunz-I think the next size smaller tire will work for your car. I am also RWD sport package (but with 20 inch tires). I would check with Vince at Bimmerzone to be sure.

jadnashuanh-Per runflat instructions, once you drive on the tire, it needs to be replaced. I know quite a few people who have driven an impressive distance on a mini spare. I am aware of the factory recommendations (and I am not telling anybody to do this), but you can get further than you think with a mini. Your speed definitely will be dramatically reduced. This is for emergency purpose only.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
The key thing you said is if it is actually run flat...having a slow leak that you stop and periodically refill is not the same thing. Since it is often impossible to detect internal structural failures from actually running it flat, most all will not patch them. Depending on the tire that you have, some DO allow it to be repaired IF it was only a slow leak that you kept refilling, but not if you actually run it flat. If you refilled as soon as the warning came on, you should be okay. Now, whether the tire shop will do it or not is another question altogether.

I've seen people pass me on the interstate running a compact spare, but they're just plain stupid! They are not designed for higher speeds and they are damaged by the heat. Because of their size, they are under a much greater load than the stock tire/wheel and the vehicle dynamics are crappy when installed...it's a tribute to their over-engineering that they don't fail when abused. Use wisely!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Supporting Vendor

Yup, it does not matter if you have 19 or 20 in rims, the outer diameter remains the same. the spare rim itself is 18, but it does clear the calipers and brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
If the wheel is designed for a BMW GT, it does NOT matter what diameter rim it is! The OD of the tire is the same, which is why you can swap from 18-19-20-21-22" wheels on the car and have your speedometer and odometer all work properly and the gear ratios stay the same.

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Supporting Vendor

Guys

We finally added this to the website, do take a look

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...F07GT-KIT.html

Thanks!

Vincent