Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
I owned a 335 coupe and my wife drives a 128 convertible. Personally, I would always lean towards more HP and more torque. It was a no brainer for me. The 128 is a fun car, but I commonly find myself missing that punch the 335 had. I'm not really sure what you mean about motor issues with the 135. This is a proven, award winning engine. You can talk HPFP all you want, but that to my knowledge, has been solved and it has a strong warranty. I would not even pause for a second and allow that to be a determining factor. I cannot speak to the turbos. Like every single component to an engine, it can fail, but turbos these days are not the trubos built in the 2000's. These are much better engineered, better cooled, and using much better components. Gas milage is really pretty similar unless you have a heavy foot and then both engines will punish you in gas mileage.

Another way to look at this is that if you are looking for ways to leverage performance from the 128 engine, seems to me you are already answering your own question. Hoping to mod it later and push perfomance up to me usually means you will never really be happy because without signifcant investment, you will not hit the 135 engine figures.

In the end, the choice is yours, but I would lean toward more torque and not look back.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...

Last edited by energetik9; 03-19-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by energetik9 View Post
I owned a 335 coupe and my wife drives a 128 convertible. Personally, I would always lean towards more HP and more torque. It was a no brainer for me. The 128 is a fun car, but I commonly find myself missing that punch the 335 had. I'm not really sure what you mean about motor issues with the 135. This is a proven, award winning engine. You can talk HPFP all you want, but that to my knowledge, has been solved and it has a strong warranty. I would not even pause for a second and allow that to be a determining factor. I cannot speak to the turbos. Like every single component to an engine, it can fail, but turbos these days are not the trubos built in the 2000's. These are much better engineered, better cooled, and using much better components. Gas milage is really pretty similar unless you have a heavy foot and then both engines will punish you in gas mileage.

Another way to look at this is that if you are looking for ways to leverage performance from the 128 engine, seems to me you are already answering your own question. Hoping to mod it later and push perfomance up to me usually means you will never really be happy because without signifcant investment, you will not hit the 135 engine figures.

In the end, the choice is yours, but I would lean toward more torque and not look back.
I have a 335 coupe as well, but I'll offer a counterpoint. The 128 convertible is heavier than the 128 coupe so that takes a bit of the fun out of it. Reliability aside, I'd argue that the x28 engine (the last of the N/A straight sixes from BMW) is a smoother, rev happier powerplant. Not saying that the n54/55 are bad in these regards but the n52 six is even better. With the lighter coupe body I think the engine really comes alive. And for what it's worth it's Mike Miller's (of Roundel tech talk fame) favorite BMW in the current lineup. I used to have an old e46 325 and sometimes I miss the smoothness and responsivness of that engine.

Last edited by bmw325; 03-19-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 135i coupe
I traded my 2007 335i E-93 convert for a 2010 135i coupe this month. I do miss some of the gadgets that were on the 335i (comfort access, compass in mirror, folding side mirrors) but am overrall very happy with the 135i. It has the sport package and handles well! Getting 25-25.7 mpg on freeway driving-21-23 local. I will replace the 19" RFT's soon (don't like the noise and hard ride of RFT's). 135i has an AFE 49-46302 exhaust system-sounds great! Brakes seem stronger on this car! Both cars have 6 speed manual tranny. Will post after I replace the RFT's with normal tires. If the tire change is as noticable on 135i as it was on 335i, I will be very pleased!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMetcalf View Post
I traded my 2007 335i E-93 convert for a 2010 135i coupe this month. I do miss some of the gadgets that were on the 335i (comfort access, compass in mirror, folding side mirrors) but am overrall very happy with the 135i. It has the sport package and handles well! Getting 25-25.7 mpg on freeway driving-21-23 local. I will replace the 19" RFT's soon (don't like the noise and hard ride of RFT's). 135i has an AFE 49-46302 exhaust system-sounds great! Brakes seem stronger on this car! Both cars have 6 speed manual tranny. Will post after I replace the RFT's with normal tires. If the tire change is as noticable on 135i as it was on 335i, I will be very pleased!
Congrats
Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 325
I am having a hard time finding a manual transmission in my area and in my price range. How is the automatic? I am looking at an 2009 or 2010 model year if that matters. I know the newer models have the DCT but I cant afford those models.

The reason I am asking is because my GF has an 07 328i and the transmission is junk. It starts the car in second gear from a stop if you are not in sport mode and tends to creep forward when you put it in park quickly.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
1 Converted Addict

Mein Auto: 135i M-Sport 6mt Cabrio
You do not want to buy the auto unless it is the dct. The best is the 6mt but that's my opinion.

PSS|PPK|PE|LUX H8 V4's|CDV Delete|
Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 PM
135 Driver

Mein Auto: 135 Convertible
I have a 2009 vert w/ sports package and it has an automatic w/ M steering wheel & paddle shifters.

I was (used to be) a "manual is the only way to go" kind of guy until I drove this car. It's a blast to drive and you can shift so much faster than any manual.

I drove it on the "Dragon" along TN/NC border with no traffic and was amazed at how well I could control the transmission through the curves. It's exact, crisp and so fast on downshifts that I hardly ever had to sit on the brakes. And don't forget the sweet sounding ultra fast rev matching feature on downshifts...no more heel & toe.

Being able to blast through hairpin after hairpin in a full on power slide, with both hands on the wheel as I snapped through the gears was so much fun I still have a smile on my face!

If you get over the "auto's are whimpy" old school mentality and drive a 135 with one you'll have a blast...and isn't that why we buy these cars?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
if you are leasing, i would go for the 135
if you are financing which you will keep the car for a long time i would go for the 128i.
but, that's just me,
and dude, its better to ask than to regret your purchase later on
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 135i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by robacks View Post
I am having a hard time finding a manual transmission in my area and in my price range. How is the automatic? I am looking at an 2009 or 2010 model year if that matters. I know the newer models have the DCT but I cant afford those models.

The reason I am asking is because my GF has an 07 328i and the transmission is junk. It starts the car in second gear from a stop if you are not in sport mode and tends to creep forward when you put it in park quickly.
What's your price range? Not many 6MTs as you said but still a few around...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 325
I see one local for around 25K. Just trying to find the best value and educate myself more.

I am currently unemployed and my paid-off car was totaled in January, so I do not need a car right away. I have time to look around for a bit. I can also use my motorcycle or girlfriends car if I need to. I rather have some money coming in (JOB) before I spend my savings on a car. If push comes to shove I can just lease something cheap until for cash flow returns to normal.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
The 135 with an automatic is geared differently than the manual so it has equivalent acceleration. Later models have the DCT which is VERY quick shifting but also relatively unproven in reliability. The 128i automatic is about half a second slower to 60 because they did not gear it lower like the 135i. It is also a conventional automatic with a torque converter so there is some lag from a stop. I like my 128i convertable with manual. My wife drives a 128i convertible with automatic and loves it.

With respect to hp, it is possible to get a 128i into about the same hp as a STOCK 135i but it is much easier to buy a chip to increase the boost on the 135i than it is to add 30-50 hp to the 128i. There is a good review of the installation of SuperSprint (or something like that headers) that seems to be indicated as well as possibly a Magnaflow cat back and either the BMW performance or Injex intake. Those parts are going to cost as much as the differential between the 128i and 135i in price, however. You would be within sight of the 135i hp, probably also requiring a tune, but not 300 ft lbs of torque. And the 135i can add 75hp or so with a chip. A 128i might get close to 300hp but not 375hp. So realistically hp is clearly more readily available with the 135i.

Delivery of power is quite different between the two. I drove a 135i at performance center delivery so I have a tiny bit of experience with it. It was nice to have so much torque that you didn't hardly have to be in the right gear. But when my 128i is in the right gear, it has nice punch too (and it is stock). It is also nice to have hp build towards redline instead of falling off around 5500rpm. But plenty of punch without having to downshift would be a very nice thing in the real world. They are different. I like my choice but I can see why others went another way.

Jim
Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
... Later models have the DCT which is VERY quick shifting but also relatively unproven in reliability.
While I agree with you, I do also think that the DCT is massively overengineered and built for the 135i's power band. Basically the same exact hardware takes much more of a pounding in the M3 and so far I've yet to hear of one detonating due to stress or problems such as that. The difference between the two transmissions is only software.

Having said that, software can cause all kinds of issues and I do agree that there's still the problem of the wear patterns and replacement costs of the internal components... particularly the clutches. Will they outlast a normal manual clutch? Maybe... maybe not. I know at low speeds I hear my clutches slipping a lot, but have never had the tell-tale smell of burning clutch material that something is amiss.

I do know I have one friend with a 2008 M3 with the DCT that's currently somewhere around 130K miles with nary a squeak of complaint. He drives back and forth to Chicago on business a lot, hence the miles... he's had more problems with bad fuel than tranny problems... and the crap gas mileage
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 07 328i 97 Z3
Eagerly following this thread since I have decided to eventually trade in my 2005 Vibe for a 1 or 3 series. I plan on getting a used one, so I am reading all I can. I drove the Vibe yesterday, first time since we got the 2006 X3. The Vibe is good, but not the experience of a BMW.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I agree that a DCT should be more reliable than a conventional automatic. It is basically a manual transmission that has the gear selector moved by electronic brains and some solenoids and/or servo motors. As I understand it the SMT - the single shaft predecessor - had problems with the gear shifting mechanism that were expensive to fix. If you can made the new parts work reliably, the DCT could be more reliable than a manual transmission. Human error affects manual transmission's and should not impact DCTs. Ultimately, I think DCTs should be the way to go.

I worry about how well engineered new things are. The recalls my 2009 128i has needed do not make me less worried.

I wouldn't buy a 135i to get a DCT. A shift kit + programming can change a conventional automatic to have quicker firmer shifts. I don't know if that is available for bimmers. I think a sporty car should have a manual. So that is what I would do. I think the 135i versus 128i is a combination of how fast do you need your car to be and how do you want it to feel. Lots of low end torque and as fast as V8 mustangs or cameros says you need a 135i. What I think of as more conventional sports car feel with high rpm = maximum power suggests 128i. Both are great cars.

Jim
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM

I cannot see how someone can decide between a 128 and 135 without driving them both back to back...I did and there was not doubt that the 135 was the choice for me. And the same goes in regards to a manual or DCT...you have to drive cars with each in order to decide which is best - I thought the manual was best.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 03-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: Cobalt
I'm debating between these two cars too and specced out both. I'm just annoyed that the premium package is required when adding the lighting package for the 128i because I don't want the premium package at all. So it's either between 128 w/ m sport, lighting, premium, heated front seats vs 135i w/ m sport, heated front seats for $3K more
Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 135i coupe
The 135i is a very quick car! I recently traded my 335i E-93 for the 135i coupe with sport package. 135i with manual trans is fun to drive--and gets 24-25 mpg around town! There is no substitute for horsepower/torque!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 07 328i 97 Z3
I get overwhelmed at the thought of picking out a car just for me. When it is an SUV or a "family" car, it is easier.

I am researching body styles, reliability, which engine I want, etc. Then I will track down a couple cars and test drive them.

Thinking I may learn to drive a stick as well. That opens up more options.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
They are both great. Just be prepared to spend some cash on maintenance if you get the 135. The 128 gets really good reviews as well. Check this out:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724228

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature...agen_R32.shtml
Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
They are both great. Just be prepared to spend some cash on maintenance if you get the 135. The 128 gets really good reviews as well. Check this out:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724228

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature...agen_R32.shtml
Thanks for the read! I guess I'll just have to suck it up and get the premium package added on
Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
I have a 1M coupe and have driven all three. I love them all but in my humble opinion if you remotely like the 128 you should get it! It still has a normally aspirated 6! It is plenty fast, fuel efficient, more reliable than the turbo models. This is not a knock on our cars at all, its just that if you look at it objectively the 128 is a great value to own. I would just get rid of the run flats. NA motors are going away and here is your chance to scoop up one of the last ones. The turbo cars have the potential for many problems. Possible fuel pump issues, carbon build up, shorter clutch life, turbo to replace eventually and as much fun as the torque is it comes at the price of turbo lag. The NA 6 is a work of art that you will enjoy for years with no lag. Another issue with 135 is that it was designed originally for smaller motors so the tank is small when you put a big turbo motor and you can't get as wide a tire as in the 335 with same motor. This can make the 135 squirly under all that torque. Even the 1M with standard M3 Competition Pkg 19s is a handful and it has an M mode traction control and full lock diff. So if you like the value of the 128 I would recommend that absolutely over the others. I believe car and driver also thought the 128 was the ultimate value and fun sleeper. I would forget the lightin package too. more
Money higher maintenace etc. and it reduces value factor i just spoke about. spend the money on some lightweight wheels, better tires or maybe an exhaust instead. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited by nacho; 04-01-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I have a 1M coupe and have driven all three. I love them all but in my humble opinion if you remotely like the 128 you should get it! It still has a normally aspirated 6! It is plenty fast, fuel efficient, more reliable than the turbo models. This is not a knock on our cars at all, its just that if you look at it objectively the 128 is a great value to own. I would just get rid of the run flats. NA motors are going away and here is your chance to scoop up one of the last ones. The turbo cars have the potential for many problems. Possible fuel pump issues, carbon build up, shorter clutch life, turbo to replace eventually and as much fun as the torque is it comes at the price of turbo lag. The NA 6 is a work of art that you will enjoy for years with no lag. Another issue with 135 is that it was designed originally for smaller motors so the tank is small when you put a big turbo motor and you can't get as wide a tire as in the 335 with same motor. This can make the 135 squirly under all that torque. Even the 1M with standard M3 Competition Pkg 19s is a handful and it has an M mode traction control and full lock diff. So if you like the value of the 128 I would recommend that absolutely over the others. I believe car and driver also thought the 128 was the ultimate value and fun sleeper. I would forget the lightin package too. more
Money higher maintenace etc. and it reduces value factor i just spoke about. spend the money on some lightweight wheels, better tires or maybe an exhaust instead. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
I'll probably go with 2013 128i that I mentioned. I just have to test it out and then if I like it decide if I want to lease or buy.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Great car just make sure you get a manual for most thrilling experience. I'm glad to see guys that can still appreciate the joy and balance of NA motors. Rember don't judge the car until you get rid of the run flats. A final point is that the 128 has a brilliant motor that revs smoothly and relatively quiet. You can toss it around and mash it... Let the revs build and shift. In the 135 and 1M. You mash it and everyone within a few blocks knows it on top of managing wheel spin, police, water on pavement and ditches on the side of the road. In some ways you can have more fun around town 128i. And you don't have to carry clean diapers like me in the 1M! : )
Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 AM

I never understood heated seats...after sitting on cold seats for a few minutes they warm right up. When I ordered my 135i I debated the Premium Package and did not think what you got was worth the extra cash; however, the M Sport Package was a must have (as well as the Moonlight soft top).
Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z. View Post
I never understood heated seats...after sitting on cold seats for a few minutes they warm right up. When I ordered my 135i I debated the Premium Package and did not think what you got was worth the extra cash; however, the M Sport Package was a must have (as well as the Moonlight soft top).
That's because you live in Florida. Living somewhere it's cold quite a good chunk of the year, believe me you get to appreciate heated seats in pretty short order. Most of my business and personal trips tend to take me North of here, too... so that's another factor.

While I agree in theory, if I don't turn on my heated seats on cold mornings, then the seats are still relatively cold by the time I get to work. That and the fact that it does take a bit to warm the car up.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net