Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: X6
X6 squirms on concrete road with rain grooves

Just picked up my 2013 X6 with regular run flat tires. When I drove on the concrete highway with rain grooves, X6 squirmed. I have driven X5 for 10 years, and 328 coupe for 5 years on the same road before. Only X6 squirmed. I went to dealer, and the test drive guy drove my X6 with me on the same road, and he said it's normal, since X6 has different suspension. I also asked run flat tires does matter, and he said it could matter. Is that true? Anyone has the same experience?
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 x6 50i
I dont know if cali roads are different than ours, but here we have the worst of the worst road conditions and my x6 has felt sure-footed in all of them.

Today we had snow, ice, sleet, etc and the x6 only kicked on the traction control once!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
If you just picked up your X6 with a new tires, you probably want to wait after the Tires breaking period around 200 miles and see if it still persists
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the replies. The road looks good, just has a lot of rain grooves. On another concrete highway with the rain grooves, I feel much better. And I drove more than 600 miles. My wife thinks she didn't feel any difference. Maybe I'm too sensitive on road condition.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 PM

Finally after doing a lot of searching, I probably get the answer. It's tire issue. (Just wondering BMW test driver guy does not know this, when he drove my X6) Following is from the thread.

Two things come to mind of your concern "(i.e., shifts right and left, especially on the freeway at higher speeds (approx. 70 mph)."they are both related... #1. Are the tires on your new CRV Bridgestones?. #2. Do you live in a state that incorporates the "rain grooves" (deep cuts in each lane approximately 3 inches apart) in the freeway lanes?. This is common freeway construction here in California and I have found with our '07 CRV with the Bridgestone tires that they tend to follow the "grooves" & what is felt to the driver is a constant annoying "hunting/searching" feeling almost as if you were jumping/dancing around & rapid side to side movement while in the lane. If this is what is happening to you it is not that uncommon... I can tell you that in time/miles this will lessen as the tires wear some. We have just about 6000 miles on our '07 & this annoying phenomenon is virtually gone now. Tires with straight cut tread (ie. factory Bridgestones) tend to do this on roads with the rain grooves. Over the years I have learned when I purchase replacement tires I look for tires that are cross-cut in tread design just because of this issue. Hope this is of some help.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f14721a/1