Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Brake pressure sensor

Anyone here replaced their brake pressure sensor--if so , was it as simple as removing the part and threading a new one in? Thinking I have a bit of trouble in that area
Ads by Google
Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Anyone here replaced their brake pressure sensor--if so , was it as simple as removing the part and threading a new one in? Thinking I have a bit of trouble in that area
The pressure switch on the ABS module, right?
You'll need to get the ABS/Brakes bleed with the factory (or similar) computer that can open/close the solenoids in the ABS module.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
You'll need to get the ABS/Brakes bleed with the factory (or similar) computer that can open/close the solenoids in the ABS module.
I have no experience with the BPS, but there is this thread for TESTING it:
- How to test the brake pressure sensor (1)

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
E39 have a brake pressure sensor? Is it tripped if there is a leak in the system?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King540i View Post
E39 have a brake pressure sensor? Is it tripped if there is a leak in the system?
I'm no expert, but, how the BPS is used by the system is explained in this PDF.
- BMW_30-PAGE_DSC_COMPONENTS.PDF (1.69 MB, 3562 views)

Let us know if that answers the question though ...
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: '01 530iM, '00 528iTM
You can read the output of that sensor in INPA. Should read ~150 bar when you stand on the brake pedal.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Thanks all--I gues I can't just unthread the part and put another in then--I was thinking about going to a pick and pull and getting one on the cheap and seeing if that cleared everything up--the Trifecta that is
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Pull the codes and/or start testing the wheel speed sensors.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Thanks all--I gues I can't just unthread the part and put another in then--I was thinking about going to a pick and pull and getting one on the cheap and seeing if that cleared everything up--the Trifecta that is
Thing is, when you pull out the pressure sensor, you don't want air to be sucked in. Then the fun begins...
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
seeing if that cleared everything up--the Trifecta that is
While the BPS error 81 is often implicated in the trifecta, as mentioned in the referenced thread, I don't know of a single case reported here on Bimmerfest where that error code correctly pinpointed the problem.

In fact, I had the error code myself; and it turned out, like all the (known) others, to be a bogus reading, due to the fact that the diagnostic tools just can't tell a bad sensor from a bad computer indication of the sensor reading.

Luckily, you 'can' test the BPS without having to remove it, using just a DMM and a partner, as already explained in the BPS test thread.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 PM

The cars brakes act funny from time to time--sometimes when I get on them with light pressure the pedal seems like it goes unexpectedly down about a 1/4 inch and the car brakes hard when this happens--but it's only happened a few times over the last 6 months since these lights have been on--that is the reason I'm thinking it's the pressure sensor
Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 97 E39 540i 6Speed
Quick question. My 97 540i has relatively new pads since I bought the car from the previous owner 65% good since I checked. My breaks seem to be really hard to press down. sometimes if I'm coming to a stop they engage and break but don't seem to stop the car when their supposed to. It takes forever to stop.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
the pedal seems like it goes unexpectedly down about a 1/4 inch and the car brakes hard when this happens
I don't know what would cause this, e.g., a leak of brake fluid would show up eventually, and you would think a loss of vacuum at the booster would too.

Testing the BPS seems simple enough with "flying leads" and a DMM; but, if it's intermittent, it might not show all the time.

I would hope cn90, JimLev, RDL, or any of the others more knowledgeable than I can provide guidance.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 AM

The pedal isn't hard to the feel--when I stated that the pedal fell 1/4 inch it fell and the cars brake came on to stop the car hard--as if I had layed down on them somewhat--
Old 03-19-2013, 06:44 AM

Poolman, how's the brake booster?
P.S.: Or maybe there's a seal going in the master cylinder?
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint

Last edited by doru; 03-19-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM

Doru--hadn't thought about those 2 parts--this all started up back in September when I backed the touring int a tree--never had the lights come on at all and no braking problems--I have replaced tow of the wheel sensors and have tow that haven't been replaced--still have the ones that I remove, one from the front and one from the back. Thinking about using those on the other side and see if it changes anything. The lights will come on for a moment then go away and do that all day long. Sometimes when the weather is with high humidity the lights will stay on for an hour or so --don't know what to think--it's getting warmer here now--that will give me a chance to look more into the cause's.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Poolman-I would also inspect the suction jet pump. That is the Venturi device that's plugged into the intake tube at the F connector. The thin hose is a vent for the fuel pressure regulator. The thicker hose goes to the suction jet pump that increases vacuum (above manifold vacuum) to the brake booster. If any of the hoses are split, if the device is cracked or damaged or if the vac hose to the IM is not attached, etc., you would have these symptoms.

Of course, any of the above would not cause your trifecta but it caused my brake pedal to be low when my suction jet pump was not working right.

Last edited by johnstern; 03-19-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM

If it's the sjp, a quick /sjp F3 in the best links nets this:
- How does the BMW E39 suction jet pump (aka SJP, or sucking jet pump) work (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 03-19-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added photo ...
Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 PM

New jet pump on the car about a year or so ago--it's fine--this has to do with the sudden stop that happened when I backed into the large Oak that without respect for my car damaged my tourings rear hatch--shame upon shame on that Oak--anyway the rant's now over and I thank one and all for their kind input
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM

Hey, Poolman, I just thought maybe your piston ends of the brakes start to get pitted by rust - right at the edge of the rubber boot where they start to protrude. Why don't you check these out? This might be in line with what you experience?