Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
confusion surrounding software programming?

There are hundreds of threads about software programming and coding on these cars. Many people talk about it like they are one and the same thing.
When people read the error codes or they change a feature that sits inside the programming like say switch on the bluetooth or Ipod facilities, Then this is not reprogramming a car this is gaining access to what exists within the programming of the car.
When they read error codes for faults, all these are, are diagnostic access points written into the cars software programming. These diagnostic points are were the software monitors as the car operations, it then throws a code number which is a reference to sequence errors from these diagnostics points resulting in a possible fault.
The car code readers do not rewrite software, even the likes of Autologic do not rewrite software, the only people who rewrite software are BMW. All of these tools access the diagnostic points within the cars programming or into the area of the software were you can change features no more no less!!!
When it comes to software revisions by BMW, this is when they actually re-program/rewrite the cars operational capability, for example they will write a program that there is a slight drops in revs to allow the transmission to change into the next gear, so all the things that have to happen to makes this happen will be written in code (software language).
So the only people who can update your cars software are actually BMW as they OWN the software and do not allow anyone to have a copy or use it outside of their control......
(I have tried to keep this very simple if other want to chip in perhaps we can create a better understanding of what this subject is truly about !!!!) Have not tried to insult anyone's intelligence either!!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
When it comes to software revisions by BMW, this is when they actually re-program/rewrite the cars operational capability, for example they will write a program that there is a slight drops in revs to allow the transmission to change into the next gear, so all the things that have to happen to makes this happen will be written in code (software language).
So the only people who can update your cars software are actually BMW as they OWN the software and do not allow anyone to have a copy or use it outside of their control......
(I have tried to keep this very simple if other want to chip in perhaps we can create a better understanding of what this subject is truly about !!!!) Have not tried to insult anyone's intelligence either!!!!!
Anybody who had bought the Progman or WinKFPsoftware as art of a software package like http://www.bmtechnic.co.uk has the capability to program the car, i.e. update the software version. Progman is the dealer tool used to update software versions, this is limited as it has to do an entire car software update. WinKFP is the factory software that allows you to upgrade the software version, this can update software revisions on individualmodules.

I would not recommend anyone attempt to update the software version themselves, although the tools & versions of software are part of the packages of software the kits that are out there rely on a work around for conncting to the car. BMW used what is called a Diagnostic head which llowed greater data transfer speeds. Doing the update through a K+D CAN USB lead would be much slower. Not impossible but it leaves too much room for things to go wrong. Another thing to factor in when doing software upgrades is the amount of power the car draws during the process, so you NEED a proper power supply connected to the car when doing this kind of work. Someting like the e63 would draw ~60A of power so a standard battery maintainer won't do! A decent power supply is not cheap. Ideally when you are doing simple coding with NCS Expert you need a power supply connected to prevent a glitch while doing the process.

Coding with NCS Expert is simply changing the settings or parameters that already exist so the changes are not that big. However youneed to be careful when you are making changes. A conflicting change can lead to bricked modules, I know I had an issue with an occupancy in a friend's e39 &tried to code it out. The module didn;t liked it & triggered an Internal Error bricking the module. Another instance where the coding mith go wrong is if your software on your laptop has a lower version than the software on the car, for example if you enable the Digital speedo on the Kombi module with a lower version of software than the car has the speedo & other guages might not work afterwards. I've had this happen too. The only cure is to recode with a higher version So coding is not straight forward either, but if you stick with the tried & tested you'll be fine.