Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Camshaft Position Sensor - Intake

I have a 2001 530i a couple weeks ago my SES light came on, so i went and got it scanned, and had the code P0344, intake cam position sensor, however haven't had the money to get it fixed. The light went off and ran fine for a while, but then came back on, and has stalled 2 times while at low RPMs.

The light has gone off again, and has been off for a 4 or 5 days now, and hasn't stalled.
However, I'm scared to go on the freeway for fear that my car is going to die on me.

1. How long can i drive with it like this?

2. How much would it cost to get this fixed at the BMW dealership?

Thank you in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 03-20-2013, 03:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 528I
It's a fairly straight forward diy and a good oem sensor can be found online for around $ 100. As far as taking it in to a dealer....I've heard as little as 3-$ 500 and as much as $ 1000. I guess it depends on where you take it and how much they think they can charge you without you storming out in a hail of obscenities. Unless money is no object for you (and since you're asking about prices I'm assuming it is) this may be a good time to pull the trigger on learning to work on your car. It's an e39, chances are you will need to make repairs again of some sort in the near future and changing out a cps is a good , easy, inexpensive way to build some confidence in doing your own repair. Fixing something yourself gives a great feeling of accomplishment and with the help from the people here at the fest anyone can do it. Good luck !
Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 AM
**Bimmer DIYer**

Mein Auto: 00 740iL, 97 M3
See your other post and my response.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
diggyd357, I suspect that jennyjo7 would prefer to keep her hands out from under the greasy hood.

jennyjo7, consider an independent BMW garage, instead of the dealer. Most often, they are superior, if not cheaper.

Try www.bimrs.org for a referral, or ask fellow BMW owners.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 03-20-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
where does cam pos sensor plug into?

Hi. I have replaced the cam position sensor three times now, twice with aftermarket, and now with a BMW one. (on 2002 530i). But the "intermittent cam sensor bank 1" keeps coming back. Car runs, but gas mileage is terrible. Where does the cam sensor plug into? Anybody any suggestions what could be the problem?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
If it helps, typing /cps f3 in the bestlinks nets this:
- How to replace your camshaft position sensor (CPS) in the E39 (1) (2) (M62) & E46 (1) & ('99 740iL)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 PM

continued Cam Pos Sensor code

Thanks Bluebee,

Did not have problems replacing the sensor. (have a lot of experience now...).
The "intermittent code" keeps comimg back. Mileage still 20 to 25% worse than normal.
What else could it be? Issues with crank case ventilation? Vent hose from cover showed yellow foam inside. What does the cam sensor plug into? I wanted to look further "upstream" for the cause of the "intermittent". I even added some conductive grease to the pins of the connector (very little with a toothpick. (I did not want it to melt and run through my connector). Other subject: where can I get the wire clips for the connectors? They seem to get away from me in my "not museum like" work area (a.k.a my drive way...)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i MT M62
I have code P0348: Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit High Bank 2. I am guessing this is the sensor on the Driver side (USA , LHD). Can you someone please confirm if the part is interchangeable between the left side and the right side; not sure if the part # is same and I don't want to end ordering the wrong part 3.

Recently moved to Dallas,TX and the car failed the vehicle inspection due to this error although I think this does not cause any emission issue.

Repairs so far - Steering fluid pump ($1k - Indy), CCV replacement ($1k hosed to another Indy) & Axle replacement ($850 to another indy).. 3 indys to date and now I am diving all in as a DIY'er
Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 PM

Hi Speedchase,

My code (P0369 Powertrain Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit Intermittent (Bank 1) turned out to be the one on the front/passenger side (it sticks into the engine from the front, about in line with the coolant tank. A metal shielded cable runs to it.
The two sensors "the one behind the vanos solenoid" and the one I just described are not interchangeable. The one behind the Vanos, which is the one I think you need (no guarantees though), has a cable attached to it. There are some youtube videos to show you how to change it.

I had no problem with the allen head screw on the one behind the vanos solenoid. The other one though was a bear. After stripping the internal hex I tried everything (using an eazyout and grinding a screwdriver slot). Nothing worked until I tried an old trick as last resort and that worked. I had to tap the top of the bolt with a ball-peen hammer, and then I could almost take it out by hand. They put a locktite type paste on the bolt and by tapping it (mine had been in there for 12 years...) it let go and it came out. It is a 30 minute job. Don't lose the clips for the electral connectors.... and watch the youtube videos.

Good luck. Pls post here how you made out.

Best regards,
Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 AM

@2002530 - Thanks for the info!

Repairs so far - Steering fluid pump ($1k - Indy), CCV replacement ($1k hosed to another Indy) & Axle replacement ($850 to another indy).. 3 indys to date and now I am diving all in as a DIY'er
Old 01-08-2014, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 05 Z4 3.0, 01 530
While it may be the sensor itself, I believe I've read that a malfunction in the vanos unit (seals? etc) can trigger this fault code.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelselman View Post
While it may be the sensor itself, I believe I've read that a malfunction in the vanos unit (seals? etc) can trigger this fault code.
Is that not the case if there is an error for exhaust CPS malfunction vs. the inlet ones?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 AM

Replaced my bank 2 CPS with the sensor I bought from RMEuropean for $80.76 and it was a breeze replacing this one on the driver side (US version). The Service engine light went out after driving for about 10 miles and it was a comfort since the parts stores (Autozone, etc) don't clear codes in TX. The car passed the inspection as well.

The car runs smoother and I am hoping the mileage improve as well. I will report back on the mileage improvement, if any.