Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Peter123 Peter123 is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: BMX X1 xdrive28i on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
The CX5 was on my radar -- especially since they are bringing it over with a diesel! Supposed to be soon, but who knows. BMW is supposed to be bringing a diesel X1 & X3...
The CX5 was the runner-up to my final order of an X1 - nice, but nowhere as refined (handling, performance) as the X1. I wouldn't hold my breath for a diesel X1 - BMW effort is going into a hybrid of this size (same platform as the 2016 X1, I believe - maybe even the same as the 2016 X1 hybrid?). Rebranded as the "Concept Active Tourer". See http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bm...ork-auto-show/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 PM
FCBayernFTW's Avatar
FCBayernFTW FCBayernFTW is online now
Original *****
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,250
Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter123 View Post
The CX5 was the runner-up to my final order of an X1 - nice, but nowhere as refined (handling, performance) as the X1. I wouldn't hold my breath for a diesel X1 - BMW effort is going into a hybrid of this size (same platform as the 2016 X1, I believe - maybe even the same as the 2016 X1 hybrid?). Rebranded as the "Concept Active Tourer". See http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bm...ork-auto-show/
While I don't dispute your assertions about handling and performance, I think I would rather pay the premium on BMW's sport sedan later. Plus my wife isn't an "enthusiast". I'm interested in what this 3er gran coupe will look like. But to get back on topic, if I had to choose from the OP's choices, I'd go with the x1.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Bimmer App
__________________
Fc Bayern Deutschermeister ja so heißt er mein Verein,
Ja so war es und so ist es und so wird es immer sein

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 03-19-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 AM
3284me's Avatar
3284me 3284me is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 879
Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
I am in the same boat as the OP needing a new ride for my wife. Have not test drove an X1 yet or have been able to check out the interior yet other than peeking through a window on a Sunday in the dealer lot. Can some one tell me if the hatch area has sufficient space with the rear seats upright? Can you fit luggage or enough grocery bags? I test drive a ford escape which I hated, but it had plenty of room in the hatch area.
__________________

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,641
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I am in the same boat as the OP needing a new ride for my wife. Have not test drove an X1 yet or have been able to check out the interior yet other than peeking through a window on a Sunday in the dealer lot. Can some one tell me if the hatch area has sufficient space with the rear seats upright? Can you fit luggage or enough grocery bags? I test drive a ford escape which I hated, but it had plenty of room in the hatch area.
I had an Escape for a week in Tahoe and using my eyeball meter I'd say the X1 has a little less cargo space. But enough for luggage and groceries...

I'd say it has roughly the same area surface as an E90 trunk, or about 36" x 36", but higher.
__________________

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 AM
skndchanzs skndchanzs is offline
Registered User
Location: So California
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2013 X1
'Enough space' is somewhat subjective depending on your needs. I traded in my VW Tiguan for the x1 and the x1's cargo space is slightly smaller than the Tiguan's BUT still meets my needs just fine.

Normal everyday stuff I carry around - my daughter's softball gear (in one large wheeled duffel bag), two folding beach chairs and a sunshade. With all of those items in there, I can still do a week's worth of grocery shopping for a family of three and all of the grocery bags fit with no problems (usually I use the other stuff to prevent the grocery bags from tipping so it works out fine).

I also have a 55 lb dog and a 75 lb dog - when they travel with me, I do need to lay down one seat, slide the everyday gear into that spot, remove the tray/shelf and then both dogs can stand and move around easily. Takes me less than two minutes to adjust everything.

In terms of height of entry, the 75 lb dog is nine years old now and can't jump in, so I have to lift her. With the Tiguan I had to completely lift her from the ground, but with the x1 she can put her front legs into the cargo area and then I just have to lift her rear. I do wish the x1 had that snazzy auto open lift gate thingy like the Ford does. Helps when your hands are full of energetic dogs, or kids, or groceries, or .......

Hope this helps clarify the space issue.

DeeDee
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Xeraphim Xeraphim is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Op Here:

I am negotiating with two dealerships for my X1. I test drove pretty much every SUV out there and decided this was the vehicle that I wanted.

I'll be glad to give you a comparison of just about any vehicle (Acura, Infinity, Audi, Subaru, Honda, etc. etc.)

The trunk/boot area is not the largest for the vehicle of this size, but it is large enough for me. You can fit two golfbags (laying down and stacked) comfortably. You can easily fit groceries for two weeks in the area as well. If you are looking for the ability to fit a 50" LED tv in the trunk without putting down the seats you probably won't like this. The trunk finish is slightly better than the Ford's but not the nicest if you are looking for the complete fit and finish. The size of the trunk is on par with the Audi Q5 and the Mazda Cx-5.

@3284me : What are you looking for in your vehicle?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 AM
3284me's Avatar
3284me 3284me is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 879
Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Thanks everyone for their input.
__________________

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 AM
3284me's Avatar
3284me 3284me is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 879
Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
Op Here:

I am negotiating with two dealerships for my X1. I test drove pretty much every SUV out there and decided this was the vehicle that I wanted.

I'll be glad to give you a comparison of just about any vehicle (Acura, Infinity, Audi, Subaru, Honda, etc. etc.)

The trunk/boot area is not the largest for the vehicle of this size, but it is large enough for me. You can fit two golfbags (laying down and stacked) comfortably. You can easily fit groceries for two weeks in the area as well. If you are looking for the ability to fit a 50" LED tv in the trunk without putting down the seats you probably won't like this. The trunk finish is slightly better than the Ford's but not the nicest if you are looking for the complete fit and finish. The size of the trunk is on par with the Audi Q5 and the Mazda Cx-5.

@3284me : What are you looking for in your vehicle?
I think I was just worried that the hatch area would be smaller than my trunk. More or less enough space for everyday use. Golf bags are a plus since I can barely fit them in my trunk now! I like the fact that the EPA ratings are high and it handles like a sedan. My wife is a spirited driver and I think she will like this once we test drive one.
__________________

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Xeraphim Xeraphim is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: Soon -X1
I would honestly test drive both the sport (or msport) and the base models of the engine you want.

I decided for the msport despite the fact that it is a bit stiffer ride because of the better handling that it provided. Even with upgraded leather seats you will feel it if your a backseat passenger and sometimes even as a front seat driver if you hit rumble strips at 40+. It isn't bone jarring, but compared to say the Land Rover Evoque the ride isn't perfect.

The regular ride is much more forgiving on the same road but didn't have the same grip/feeling that the sports models did. That is just my opinion though.\

Edit: I was on the boards before my morning up of caffeine. I am not the OP but everything else holds true.

Last edited by Xeraphim; 03-20-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,312
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
...
I decided for the msport despite the fact that it is a bit stiffer ride because of the better handling that it provided.
Other than wheels/tires, the sport and msport have the same suspension. I would be surprised to feel much difference - although I would expect a little more tire noise with the msport (wider rears and higher-performance rubber.)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Wolfex Wolfex is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 239
Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I am in the same boat as the OP needing a new ride for my wife. Have not test drove an X1 yet or have been able to check out the interior yet other than peeking through a window on a Sunday in the dealer lot. Can some one tell me if the hatch area has sufficient space with the rear seats upright? Can you fit luggage or enough grocery bags? I test drive a ford escape which I hated, but it had plenty of room in the hatch area.
The trunk area is bigger in the X1 than the A3. In my A3 with one seat down I couldn't fit my snowboard bag without hitting the front seats. I had to angle it making less room for luggage. It fits fine in the X1. The seats in the X1 recline a bit so if you have them up you can adjust the seat backs all the way up it to increase trunk space. However its not comfortable if you have backseat passengers. There is plenty of room for luggage and Costco runs with the seats up.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 AM
nospam nospam is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Other than wheels/tires, the sport and msport have the same suspension. I would be surprised to feel much difference - although I would expect a little more tire noise with the msport (wider rears and higher-performance rubber.)
This is not correct, the sport-line gets the standard suspension. Only the MSport gets the sports suspension and performance control software.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Xeraphim Xeraphim is offline
Registered User
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Other than wheels/tires, the sport and msport have the same suspension. I would be surprised to feel much difference - although I would expect a little more tire noise with the msport (wider rears and higher-performance rubber.)
I did not notice any more tire noise, but I did notice that the baseline and the sport had a different suspension. I'm sorry if I confused the situation but I was suggesting that they try baseline and a sport/msport model.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,312
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
This is not correct, the sport-line gets the standard suspension. Only the MSport gets the sports suspension and performance control software.
Ooooh, you're right. Thanks to BMW for changing the way ordering works (between 3-series and x1).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms