Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 740il
Navigation problem

Hey everyone i have this problem with my 4.3 inch screen it doesn't work the screen it self just dark blue and it has some lines going across and the radio shuts off by itself every other minute i have to turn it off and back on again for it to work. So the question is can it be fixed or should i start looking for a new radio. Thanks

Last edited by OB740IL; 03-19-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740i
Ya, I am have having the same issue. My radio goes off after 2-5 minutes, but the Nav is on, but no picture just fuzzy lines that move around. I read on here that it could be the Navigation unit in the trunk that is going bad, not the radio itself. I could be wrong.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
If there is no TV module, the nav controls the display, therfore nav is faulty.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740i
thank for the reply. Could it be a bad screen ? or should i just replace the whole unit ?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Well the LCD screen is pretty reliable. Although I replaced mine because of marks on the coating (an easy job), I have never heard of a screen failing. Remember the head unit is just that - radio, tv, nav, dsp modules are all in the boot (trunk). Did the radio issue and the display start at the same time-I suspect these are separate problems. Display issue is the nav, and you might want to check which radio module you have- BM24, BM 54, then search on this to see common PCB solder problems
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to MoezEnt
Mein Auto: 98 Bmw 740 il
I had the same problem before. Buy a new computer, I found one for 100 bucks at some car lot problem solved. Don't disconnect the battery till the nav goes to sleep. the computers are sensitive to battery shortages.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740iS, 2003 540iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoezEnt View Post
I had the same problem before. Buy a new computer, I found one for 100 bucks at some car lot problem solved. Don't disconnect the battery till the nav goes to sleep. the computers are sensitive to battery shortages.
+1 - good info.

Or, if you want to be sure, borrow a Nav unit from a buddy & test it in your car. If your radio now works OK, you do need a replacement Nav. Even further, put your (maybe) bad Nav in your buddy's car & see if his radio shuts off after a minute.

You can also test for a bad Nav by when the radio shuts off, if you turn the radio off & then back on, does it come back on for a minute & then go off again? If yes, you need a replacement Nav.

If you have a 4x3 monitor/screen, you most likely have a MKII Nav unit. The MKII is notorious for going bad if the power is removed (battery unplugged or Nav unplugged) before the Nav is allowed to gracefully power down (red LED going out).

2000 740iS. MKIV, 16x9, DDEs controlled by Euro fog light switch, reversed steptronic +/- pattern, paddle shifters, clear corners, Basslink, iPod video with stereo audio, TV tuner, gauge rings, ///M pedals, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, quad brake lights, Dinan engine & tranny software, windows/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540iS. MKIV, 16x9, PDC, CWP, TV tuner, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, paddle shifters, windows/sunroof close via remote, iPod video & audio.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
+1 - good info.
The MKII is notorious for going bad if the power is removed (battery unplugged or Nav unplugged) before the Nav is allowed to gracefully power down (red LED going out).
I thought it is the MkIII that where you have to wait for it power down properly? Had MkII but never bothered to power down, and never a problem, now on MkIV