Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 AM

Mein Auto: Will be a 2013 X5 50i
Help Me Decide - Dinan Upgrade on X5 50i

After much research and test driving I will be taking delivery of the X5 50i below and would appreciate some perspective on the differences between the stock 50i and upgrading to the dinan stage 4 with High Performance Air to Water Intercoolers (skipping stage 3 exhaust hardware upgrade. This will be my daily driver @ 10k miles per year. I plan on keeping the X5 for at least 5 years.

Build:

Silver Metallic
Black Perf Nevada Leather
Dark Bamboo
Luxury Seating Package
Premium Package 2
Premium Sound Package
Sports Activity Package
20" Wheels
Adaptive Drive
Active Steering
BMW apps
BMW assist

Here are 6 questions that I wanted to ask the members that have upgraded this x5 50i Engine with the Dinan Stage 2 (and above) software. (Thanks for bearing with my OCD and thanks for the help in advance)

1). I am concerned with the gas mileage as I have read about substantial decreased in MPG after upgrade. What differences, if any, did you experience with your gas mileage after the upgrade?

2) I am concerned that the upgrade will result in some frustrating side effects around the daily drivability. Did you experience the transmission acting "jittery" or "lunging" in bumper to bumper traffic? Or when needing to give very little throttle to move short distances? (Pulling into the driveway or parallel parking?)

3) I'm considering taking advantage of the 15% discount on parts being offered for the software upgrade and Intercoolers. Has anyone done better than the 15%? (I plan on having the upgrade done at the corporate headquarters in Morgan Hill)

4) I am concerned that 'skipping' the stage 3 exhaust hardware upgrade and jumping directly into the Intercoolers upgrade (stage 4) will result in poorer performance as it relates to the smoothness of the transmission and power flow. I have read this on a few posts. Is this correct?

5) anyone wish they "had not" purchased the upgrade after instal? Why?

6) any reason I will regret the upgrade given how new the car is? (Would you recommend enjoying the "stock version" for a while.

Thank you!

Brian
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
any reason I will regret the upgrade given how new the car is? (Would you recommend enjoying the "stock version" for a while.

+1 thats exactly what im doing!
Njoying
and staying out of the service dept...LOL

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: M5
B,
I'd enjoy it the way the factory intended. Drive it a good amount of time then re-evaluate. If that just doesn't satisfy the "need" then take a look at the Dinan stuff. There are trade-offs to everything...

What does your timeline look like now? When do you expect delivery??
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
any reason I will regret the upgrade given how new the car is? (Would you recommend enjoying the "stock version" for a while.

+1 thats exactly what im doing!
Njoying
and staying out of the service dept...LOL
You're right. I can always perform the upgrade down the road, however, the 15% discount runs out at the end of this month. Not a big deal but it would save me a $G off the price.

Does anyone know if this is an annual sale that happens each year?

During 'non sale' months would Dinan be able to match the discount of 15%?

Lots to ponder.....I wonder if its even worth getting all jazzed up about this stuff. Hmmm.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavom5 View Post
B,
I'd enjoy it the way the factory intended. Drive it a good amount of time then re-evaluate. If that just doesn't satisfy the "need" then take a look at the Dinan stuff. There are trade-offs to everything...

What does your timeline look like now? When do you expect delivery??
J -

Good point. I was more than happy with the power in my old 4.8i. I think I will give it a year or two 'test drive' and reevaluate then.

Delivery is going to be around the 28th of March. It's arriving from the east coast by rail in Oxnard around the 26th but could come earlier.

How's your X5 treating you? We have to plan on meeting up at some point.

-B
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btcus View Post
J -

Good point. I was more than happy with the power in my old 4.8i. I think I will give it a year or two 'test drive' and reevaluate then.

Delivery is going to be around the 28th of March. It's arriving from the east coast by rail in Oxnard around the 26th but could come earlier.

How's your X5 treating you? We have to plan on meeting up at some point.

-B
Good call!

Our X5 is treating us great! Just crossed 1500 miles on it. We take it EVERYWHERE! Stocked up on some detailing supplies and gave it a nice wash over the weekend. Course hardest part is prying the keys from the wife...

Gradually starting to open it up some...man this thing pulls like a freight train! I can only image what the X5M is like. Sheesh!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
Brian, My X is equipped very much like yours. I had my X for 13 months now. The power of the stock 50i is incredible but after the stage 2, this truck is a beast. I absolutely love the power. This is not a daily driver for me. After a year, my X only has 5,600 miles. I purchased the stage 1 when I reached 2800 miles, then Dinan had a 15% off sale, so I got the stage 2. Not a big power difference in stage 1 and 2. Stage 2 pulls harder from a standstill I think. I purchased the stage 2 with 4,600 miles on the odometer, so I don't have a lot of miles with the stage 2. I have taken some road trips and I can say I didn't notice a fuel mileage decrease with the new software. I did notice if you want to play with the power, you will pay at the pump, but driving conservatively, I can easily average 21 MPG on the Highway, and that's mostly where I drive this vehicle, As for Dinan sales, the most ive ever seen is 15%, I don't think you will do better that that. No one knows when a Dinan sale is coming, it just happens, and its not an annual thing. If you are skeptical, take advantage of the 15% off and just do the stage 1 for now, see how you like it, then when another sale comes up, go for your other upgrades. Let me know what u decide. So just another week of waiting huh??? Dont worry, the week will fly by. Oh... BTW... im so glad I purchased the upgrades, no regrets so far. Oh... BTW... ur gonna love the Adaptive Drive.

Last edited by TurboBusa; 03-21-2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: spelling, I struggle with the english language!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBusa View Post
Brian, My X is equipped very much like yours. I had my X for 13 months now. The power of the stock 50i is incredible but after the stage 2, this truck is a beast. I absolutely love the power. This is not a daily driver for me. After a year, my X only has 5,600 miles. I purchased the stage 1 when I reached 2800 miles, then Dinan had a 15% off sale, so I got the stage 2. Not a big power difference in stage 1 and 2. Stage 2 pulls harder from a standstill I think. I purchased the stage 2 with 4,600 miles on the odometer, so I don't have a lot of miles with the stage 2. I have taken some road trips and I can say I didn't notice a fuel mileage decrease with the new software. I did notice if you want to play with the power, you will pay at the pump, but driving conservatively, I can easily average 21 MPG on the Highway, and that's mostly where I drive this vehicle, As for Dinan sales, the most ive ever seen is 15%, I don't think you will do better that that. No one knows when a Dinan sale is coming, it just happens, and its not an annual thing. If you are skeptical, take advantage of the 15% off and just do the stage 1 for now, see how you like it, then when another sale comes up, go for your other upgrades. Let me know what u decide. So just another week of waiting huh??? Dont worry, the week will fly by. Oh... BTW... im so glad I purchased the upgrades, no regrets so far. Oh... BTW... ur gonna love the Adaptive Drive.
Thanks for the detailed perspective. Very helpful.

I'm going back and fourth on this question since your comments about the gas mileage not being effected that much on the highway resonate with me. 70 % of my miles will be highway and I will only push the car hard 5% of the time so is the mileage decrease really going to impact me that much?? Who knows.

When you had the stock engine for 2800 of your first miles were you thinking, "this needs more power" or were you always planning on getting the upgrade?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btcus View Post
When you had the stock engine for 2800 of your first miles were you thinking, "this needs more power" or were you always planning on getting the upgrade?
When I decided on the X5, (was gonna do the Jeep SRT 8) I knew all along I was getting a Dinan tune. When I picked up the X and drove it, I said wow, I donít need a tune, this has enough power already. But, I like a lot of power, so I still did the tune. I will ALWAYS option to have the power and not use it then need it and not have it. Now be aware of this, I donít drive this vehicle in the city too much, so I cant give you an estimate on city mileage, however, on a trip to Georgia, a fast driving charger passed me so I decided to play a little. In real world I was surprised, the X was significantly faster than the 5.7 HEMI Charger. I could easily pull away at will. After little over an hour of constant playing with the power and driving at ticket speeds, it was time for me to refuel. I have never seen a vehicle burn so much gas so quickly. The X went through a half tank of gas so fast, I thought something was wrong. On the return trip, drove conservatively and got 21 MPG. Bottom line.... you will pay if you play. BTW.... did i mention... your gonna love the Adaptive Drive and the Active Steering
Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBusa View Post
When I decided on the X5, (was gonna do the Jeep SRT 8) I knew all along I was getting a Dinan tune. When I picked up the X and drove it, I said wow, I donít need a tune, this has enough power already. But, I like a lot of power, so I still did the tune. I will ALWAYS option to have the power and not use it then need it and not have it. Now be aware of this, I donít drive this vehicle in the city too much, so I cant give you an estimate on city mileage, however, on a trip to Georgia, a fast driving charger passed me so I decided to play a little. In real world I was surprised, the X was significantly faster than the 5.7 HEMI Charger. I could easily pull away at will. After little over an hour of constant playing with the power and driving at ticket speeds, it was time for me to refuel. I have never seen a vehicle burn so much gas so quickly. The X went through a half tank of gas so fast, I thought something was wrong. On the return trip, drove conservatively and got 21 MPG. Bottom line.... you will pay if you play. BTW.... did i mention... your gonna love the Adaptive Drive and the Active Steering
Turbo - that is an impressive story and what makes it even more impressive is the gas consumption while 'playing' vs cruising. This was just the information I was looking for.

It eats gas when you push it and does a good job sipping it when in highway mode. That's something I may be able to live with. The real test will come when I pick it up. Break it in and measure if I REALLY need MORE power.

I am looking forward to the AD and AS as well. I had AS on my 4.8i and have missed it ever sense I sold it.

I hope the 'love' level comes easily for me. This will be my ride for several years and I wanted to make it perfect.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 AM

What's up?? Did you pick up the X yet? Let us know? Post pics if you got it!