Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM
jbrooksga jbrooksga is offline
Registered User
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerryan View Post
I have a 2008 X3 with factory xenons. Which led's will fit on this model for the halos ???
Same for me and these worked fine.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/BMW-5-6-7-S...l-eyes-s12.htm
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 PM
jbrooksga jbrooksga is offline
Registered User
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M-Sport
Just a quick disclaimer of what happened to my X3 yesterday.

The 4x4, ABS, and DSC light all came on at once which I thought was signaling a problem with the transfer case. I took it to my local indy shop who is very reputable, and they found a number of error codes and did not find an issue with the transfer case. Other than it needing a little fluid there was no problem found. They believed the codes were due to my connection to the DME wire for the DAEOS harness. Even though this is supposedly the install procedure for other models, it may not work well for the X3.

He suggested that I find a different power source due to the sensitivity of the DME. Just throwing this out there.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Bmer 736 Bmer 736 is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: X3
Hi,
Just catching up with my halo bulb research..is it straight forward replacement? Any instruction on the packaging?

Thanks.
Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 AM
al_macaroni al_macaroni is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DE
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmer 736 View Post
Hi,
Just catching up with my halo bulb research..is it straight forward replacement? Any instruction on the packaging?

Thanks.
Dennis
The bulb replacement for the LCI models with the OE angel eyes is not that difficult. It took about 20 minutes and I really took my time.

You are removing the round bulb housing near the center of the lamp. It is about 2 inches in diameter and there are posts on the right and left sides that you use to twist the bulb to an unlock position.

You can reach the driver's side without removing the air duct, but it is a squeeze to get your hand in there. I had a difficult time getting my hand back out after installing the LED bulb. I got a couple cuts getting my hand back out.

On the passenger side you will have to move the window washer fluid tank about 3 inches toward the center of the car. You will need a 10mm wrench or socket to remove the top bolt. Then you lift the front of the tank and slide it toward the engine an inch or two.

There is a cantilever style lock on the BMW wiring harness connector socket. Press it down near the back end, opposite side from the bulb.

I used the MTEC V3 bulbs. They came with a wiring adaptor. If your bulbs come with a wiring adaptor, make sure to test the wires with the car's wiring male connector before you put the wires into the female connector supplied with the wiring adaptor.
__________________
2013 535i - ED, Oct 2012 | Cashmere Silver | Oyster/Black Nappa Anthracite | ZCW | Sirius | Air Blue 80
2008 X3 | Monaco | Sand/Black Light Poplar | ZAP | ZPP | ZCW | Xenon | Rear Fog
1988 Grand Wagoneer | Burgundy | Ghost Flames | 360 ci | Holley carb

BMW CCA #422951


Last edited by al_macaroni; 03-15-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 AM
al_macaroni al_macaroni is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DE
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Some photos of the installation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-09_16-05-48_375.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	366495   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-09_16-09-18_25.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	366496   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-09_16-03-40_325.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	366497   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-09_16-10-24_262.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	366498   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-09_16-07-18_500.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	366499  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-09_17-16-21_133.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	366500  
__________________
2013 535i - ED, Oct 2012 | Cashmere Silver | Oyster/Black Nappa Anthracite | ZCW | Sirius | Air Blue 80
2008 X3 | Monaco | Sand/Black Light Poplar | ZAP | ZPP | ZCW | Xenon | Rear Fog
1988 Grand Wagoneer | Burgundy | Ghost Flames | 360 ci | Holley carb

BMW CCA #422951


Last edited by al_macaroni; 03-15-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-16-2013, 06:23 AM
Bmer 736 Bmer 736 is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: X3
E83 led halo bulb

Thanks for the detailed explanation and pics.
Appreciate it. New in the forum but so far so good.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
WPGX3 WPGX3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Winnipeg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW X3 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_macaroni View Post
The bulb replacement for the LCI models with the OE angel eyes is not that difficult. It took about 20 minutes and I really took my time.

You are removing the round bulb housing near the center of the lamp. It is about 2 inches in diameter and there are posts on the right and left sides that you use to twist the bulb to an unlock position.

You can reach the driver's side without removing the air duct, but it is a squeeze to get your hand in there. I had a difficult time getting my hand back out after installing the LED bulb. I got a couple cuts getting my hand back out.

On the passenger side you will have to move the window washer fluid tank about 3 inches toward the center of the car. You will need a 10mm wrench or socket to remove the top bolt. Then you lift the front of the tank and slide it toward the engine an inch or two.

There is a cantilever style lock on the BMW wiring harness connector socket. Press it down near the back end, opposite side from the bulb.

I used the MTEC V3 bulbs. They came with a wiring adaptor. If your bulbs come with a wiring adaptor, make sure to test the wires with the car's wiring male connector before you put the wires into the female connector supplied with the wiring adaptor.
Have you noticed a large enough difference between stock and MTEC bulb? I'm thinking of doing the change myself, but I'm looking for the best angel bulb that will give me closest resemblance to new bmw angel eyes. Seen a few 20w kits available as well
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 PM
al_macaroni al_macaroni is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DE
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: BMW X3
I am very happy with both the color and brightness.

We also have a 2013 5-series with the OEM BMW LED angel eyes and I would say these MTEC V3s are a little less bright, and almost as white as the BMW LED angel eyes.

I'm very picky with my cars and I'm happy with the look of these LEDs. To me they look like very similar to the angles eyes on our 2013.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a good picture of before and after, or a picture half way through the process. The sun was in a bad position and I encountered a lot of lens flare.

One very minor thing, almost not worth mentioning, when the OE halogen angels eyes activate, they seem to come on very dim, then they increase in brightness. Like the lights in a theater.
LEDs don't have this capability. They are on or off. So, sometimes when they initially come on, there is a slight flicker for a split second until full power is received by the bulbs. I don't think it happens all the time and probably most people would not notice it.
__________________
2013 535i - ED, Oct 2012 | Cashmere Silver | Oyster/Black Nappa Anthracite | ZCW | Sirius | Air Blue 80
2008 X3 | Monaco | Sand/Black Light Poplar | ZAP | ZPP | ZCW | Xenon | Rear Fog
1988 Grand Wagoneer | Burgundy | Ghost Flames | 360 ci | Holley carb

BMW CCA #422951

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 AM
WPGX3 WPGX3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Winnipeg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW X3 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_macaroni View Post
I am very happy with both the color and brightness.

We also have a 2013 5-series with the OEM BMW LED angel eyes and I would say these MTEC V3s are a little less bright, and almost as white as the BMW LED angel eyes.

I'm very picky with my cars and I'm happy with the look of these LEDs. To me they look like very similar to the angles eyes on our 2013.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a good picture of before and after, or a picture half way through the process. The sun was in a bad position and I encountered a lot of lens flare.

One very minor thing, almost not worth mentioning, when the OE halogen angels eyes activate, they seem to come on very dim, then they increase in brightness. Like the lights in a theater.
LEDs don't have this capability. They are on or off. So, sometimes when they initially come on, there is a slight flicker for a split second until full power is received by the bulbs. I don't think it happens all the time and probably most people would not notice it.
Appreciate the feedback.

From the majority of reviews I have read, color is never a problem as all brands tend to hit this, but the brightness is a huge discrepancy between brands, and what is truly most important to myself as like I said I want it to be very similar to that of the 13+ models.

What wattage did you go with? the 3w package?

I'm thinking 10w or higher would be prefered, but I also want reliablity and the higher watt package I'm not seeing many reviews and as you I'm sure have found out, not many X3 packages out there especially for an '09 like myself
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
al_macaroni al_macaroni is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DE
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: BMW X3
I have the MTEC V3, 12W kit. They are 6 watts per bulb x 2 bulbs = 12 watts. It is the brightest kit available for the e83 from MTEC.

To me, these bulbs are a close match to the look of the BMW LED angel eyes on our 2013. They compliment the xenon lights well. The DRL function of the 2013's angel eyes is brighter than the V3s. But, when you compare both cars with their xenon headlights on with the LED angel eyes - they compare well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120966358893...84.m1438.l2649

http://www.mteclightingusa.com/category_s/1849.htm

Other vendors might have higher wattage bulbs.

Good luck
__________________
2013 535i - ED, Oct 2012 | Cashmere Silver | Oyster/Black Nappa Anthracite | ZCW | Sirius | Air Blue 80
2008 X3 | Monaco | Sand/Black Light Poplar | ZAP | ZPP | ZCW | Xenon | Rear Fog
1988 Grand Wagoneer | Burgundy | Ghost Flames | 360 ci | Holley carb

BMW CCA #422951


Last edited by al_macaroni; 03-20-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 AM
WPGX3 WPGX3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Winnipeg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW X3 M Sport
I appreciate the feedback. I've heard nothing but good things about MTEC and you seem very particular (anal) like myself about your cars so I like your judgement regarding choices in parts. I have found a Euro vendor who offers 20w kit that Ive read good reviews, so I may try both. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
al_macaroni al_macaroni is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DE
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Definitely give those 20 watt bulbs a try and please report back on how they work out.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
__________________
2013 535i - ED, Oct 2012 | Cashmere Silver | Oyster/Black Nappa Anthracite | ZCW | Sirius | Air Blue 80
2008 X3 | Monaco | Sand/Black Light Poplar | ZAP | ZPP | ZCW | Xenon | Rear Fog
1988 Grand Wagoneer | Burgundy | Ghost Flames | 360 ci | Holley carb

BMW CCA #422951

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 AM
jbrooksga jbrooksga is offline
Registered User
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooksga View Post
Just a quick disclaimer of what happened to my X3 yesterday.

The 4x4, ABS, and DSC light all came on at once which I thought was signaling a problem with the transfer case. I took it to my local indy shop who is very reputable, and they found a number of error codes and did not find an issue with the transfer case. Other than it needing a little fluid there was no problem found. They believed the codes were due to my connection to the DME wire for the DAEOS harness. Even though this is supposedly the install procedure for other models, it may not work well for the X3.

He suggested that I find a different power source due to the sensitivity of the DME. Just throwing this out there.
My indy said don't power this with the red/white wire, so I connected it using one of those *add-a-fuse* devices to an existing 10A fuse in the box found under the hood.

I'm using the 10w bulbs from ijdmtoy, and generally pleased with them. They could be a tad brighter like the current OEM lights BMW provides in the 2013 models.

Just to update everyone on the strange error codes I saw.
  • We cannot use the AUTO light switch. Doing so eventually triggers the trifecta of error indicators mentioned above. No idea why, but I think others have said this who use the DAEOS.
  • When the main headlights are off, the DAEOS harness draws power for the halos from battery through the connection you make during the install. After driving a while with the headlights off, we will get a TPMS error.
  • The TMPS error cannot be cleared. However if we switch the main headlights on, the DAEOS allows the headlights to power the halos and guess what...TMPS error goes away immediately.

I cannot determine why the TPMS system goes haywire only when the halos are pulling power from battery/fusebox/etc. Personally I think this error wasn't a problem when I was powering the lights on the red/white wire, but not really sure anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Silwer Silwer is offline
Registered User
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Mein Auto: BMW E83 X3 3.0sd, 210kw
I am using brightest and most powerful 25w (2x12.5w) LEDs on the market:

Original vs. LED:



LED:




However, I am not happy as these LED's are still not bright enought to be used as daytime driving lights.

This is the set I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=281072557919
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
WPGX3 WPGX3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Winnipeg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW X3 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
I am using brightest and most powerful 25w (2x12.5w) LEDs on the market:



However, I am not happy as these LED's are still not bright enought to be used as daytime driving lights.

This is the set I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=281072557919
Besides them not being bright enough, are you experiencing any other issues with them? any negative effect on the stock wiring ?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Silwer Silwer is offline
Registered User
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Mein Auto: BMW E83 X3 3.0sd, 210kw
No. I do not have any other issues with them. Installation was easy plug and play. No fault codes.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 AM
WPGX3 WPGX3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Winnipeg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW X3 M Sport
I went ahead and ordered a 25w kit from overseas a while back. Finally got around to installing them this past weekend before a roadtrip. Review...they are definitely much brighter and visible over the stock halogens, as most would suspect especially at night. Daytime yes they are brighter but as others have mentioned they are still no where near that of the newer model X3's, doesn't even come close or compare. Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase, price, turnout after installation, especially as I upgraded my foglights to HID, its a much better match, and to be honest it looks 100x better in the evening/night then before. I would definitely do it again and recommend others to do the same.

Only regret is I wish they made an even stronger LED, but at same time I'm not sure how wise that would be and if the stock wiring could handle the power increase needed to rival the new look X3's
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:16 PM
oraclesd oraclesd is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: E60 N52
Almost a year since the last entry... has anyone found a source for the halo bulbs cheaper than the mtecs for $179? I wouldn't mind spending $50 for some bulbs but close to $200 seems steep. Any info is much appreciated, 08 LCI with xenons
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-26-2014, 09:58 AM
hl0904 hl0904 is offline
Registered User
Location: Orange, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2008 X3
So I found the PMLIT who also makes the same LED as the MTEC does.. their price is only $89.87 compare to MTEC at $189.. anyone has any experiences?

http://www.shoppmlit.com/pmlit-g4-5-...bulbs-kit.html
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-26-2014, 12:34 PM
oraclesd oraclesd is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: E60 N52
Those are looking like a great deal, I'd be interested in getting a pair, not in a hurry so maybe someone can chime in on experience.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:38 PM
oraclesd oraclesd is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: E60 N52
I just installed the PMLIT halos on my 08 x3 with xenons ($100 delivered), they're 10w and they're definitely an improvement over the yellow stock ones. The only thing that's annoying about these is the two capacitors and extra wiring, it looks like the MTEC ones just plug in directly to the OEM connector, is that what others have found? I had to buy velcro for the driver's side and mcgyver a way to mount it along with a ziptide. Not sure it will hold, I'll check in a few days and may have to relocate it.

- update
the velcro approach didn't work, it's hot enough in the engine bay that it came unglued the first day, managed to use a ziptide on a nearby cable.

If I stare at the lights for a while, i can notice continuous flickering, it's so fast that I don't think it's noticeable only if you're looking for it... not sure that's normal ??

Last edited by oraclesd; 04-23-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 PM
oraclesd oraclesd is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: E60 N52
By the way, another quick and easy upgrade I did was replacing all the interior light bulbs to LEDs, about $30 on ebay, and it made a huge improvement.
__________________
2008 528i titanium silver with gray interior sport/premium/nav
2008 X3 titanium silver with gray interior awd/premium/logic7
San Diego CA
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 PM
NikolaiRimskyK NikolaiRimskyK is offline
Registered User
Location: Moncton, NB
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2007 X3/E83
Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclesd View Post
By the way, another quick and easy upgrade I did was replacing all the interior light bulbs to LEDs, about $30 on ebay, and it made a huge improvement.
Do you have a link to the interior LEDs?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-22-2014, 10:09 PM
oraclesd oraclesd is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: E60 N52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiRimskyK View Post
Do you have a link to the interior LEDs?
I bought these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
__________________
2008 528i titanium silver with gray interior sport/premium/nav
2008 X3 titanium silver with gray interior awd/premium/logic7
San Diego CA
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-23-2014, 04:37 AM
NikolaiRimskyK NikolaiRimskyK is offline
Registered User
Location: Moncton, NB
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2007 X3/E83
Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclesd View Post
They look great!
I have a beige interior. I think the OEM lights compliment the color. You haven't happen to see a pic with the LEDs on a beige interior? Been browsing online, but no luck so far.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
halo, halo bulbs, hid


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms