Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: '97 528i, 5-speed
'97 BMW 740iL - traction strut HELP!

I am helping a friend replace the two traction struts... the job went smoothly thanks to several posts here thought it's a pain to get the bolts back on thru the bushing end of the arm but we manage to get that done. For the final torque of the bolt; we place the jack at the lower ball joint and jack the car clear the jack stand then torque down the bushing bolt. We didnít have the torque wrench so we kind of strong arm it to REAL TIGHT with a 24Ē extension drive. We attempt to take it for a test drive but when we turn the wheel left or right; it seems to bind and the car grinds to a halt. Could someone please let us know what could cause this and how to fix it?
Ads by Google
Old 01-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 740iL
Van556: You probably have the bolts at the steering knuckle too tight. The specs are: Tension strut to steering knuckle is only 59 ft-lbs; Tension strut to subframe (That is the upper bolt) is 81 ft-lbs. If you used a 24 inch bar to tighten the upper and lower bolts, chances are you have them way too tight. That is why your steering from left to right and back is binding up. You might want to invest in a torque wrench. BTW, the tension struts are in the front suspension. I am not sure if your use of traction strut is the same to refer to the front torque struts. If you are doing something in the rear of the car, forget this post.

Last edited by retrovirus6; 01-03-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
Harbor freight has the torque wrench for $19.95...was a good investment to me at 29.95 at harbor freight 6 years ago. I now have 1/4" . 3/8 and 1/2 inch.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 735i
My diagnosis would be that you have installed the arms the wrong way round. The arms are marked L and R - it is possible to install them with the left on the right side and vice-versa (although the ball joints will be obviously at the wrong inclination) but the arms will bind on the inside of the wheel rim when turning.

BTW Retrovirus6, the degree to which the steering knuckle ball joint nut has been torqued has abosultely nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing. No amount of tightening will affect the operation of the ball joint, as the pin sits in a tapered hole and it is not possible to pull it through far enough to impact on the movement of the ball joint.

This is responding to a VERY old post - March 2013 .....