Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si [e83]
My girlfriend bought a 2007 3.0 x3 3.0si used with approximately 39,000 miles on it. All was fine at first until a few months back... She started complaining of the vehicle jerking around at low speeds, mostly when picking up from a dead-stop. At high speeds the vehicle felt fine. We didn't get any noticeable noises.

I attempted the reset of the adaptive transmission which did alleviate the issue a bit, but the jerking around 1st and 2nd gear would return rather quickly. As many have already done here on the forums, I got around to changing out the transfer case fluid. Picked up a quart of it from the local dealer at about $59.00. What came out looked like used motor oil, and only about .6 quarts came out. I filled it up with the entire bottle before it started to drop out a bit. Since then the car has been running like new! Runs much smoother from a dead-stop.

Its really hard to believe that such an important piece would be underfilled liked that. Due to this I will be changing the front/rear differential fluids within the next couple of days.
Ill let you guys know if there were any improvements after the change.

- CA
Old 03-15-2013, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0Si
Guys! I had exactly the same issue.Clunking noise at low speed when foot is released from the accelerator. Car is 5 years old and I bought it from a BMW dealer as BMW approved. The car came with Falken tyres. I also have BMW extended warranty on the car. Started facing this very annoying problem about 6 months back.

Took the car to the dealer who came back saying that there is a problem with rear differential and needs replacement. BMW replaced it under warranty. Within a day of replacement of differential exactly the same problem started. Sent it back to the dealer and this time he came back saying that problem is with transfer box. They replaced the transfer box as well under warranty. However, this time at the time of returning the car they mentioned that this is the best they could do and that if the problem persists then I should replace the tyres as these are not BMW approved tyres. The car after replacement of transfer box and differential was running much better but there was still light clunking noise and jerks at low speed.

I have been following this thread and just to be sure that I still remain covered under warranty on transmission issues I decided to change tyres with Dunlop SP01 * marks, exactly the ones which were mentioned in the manual and only available in UK by Dunlop (size R18). Changed it today and drove almost 80-100 miles and boy tell you it's a different car! Absolutely no problems, no jerks or noise at lower speed. I went to all those usual spots where had problem before and no issues at all!!!

I don't know why and how but using these BMW approved (* marked tyres) does make a world of difference!

I don't know why dealer did not mention this at the first place but hey I don't care as I got new differential and new transfer box absolutely free of cost (mine is zero access package)...

I am really delighted... I strongly recommend use BMW approved tyres and all problems will simply disappear!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Just had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago

2007 X3 si - I know this thread is kind of old, but never mind. I got mine replaced a couple of weeks ago after almost 95K miles. Seems it is not a rare occurrence on this model. It was expensive, but not as much as I have heard here. About $2300 with labour, which they always add much more than the actual labour is. Had to replace the tires - unrelated to the transfer case, but if I didn't, I might have expected again to have problems with it (they had probably some more life in them, but I had one blowup). Not a week later a cylinder cover blew up and I had a misfire. I asked them to replace al spark plugs as well -- they are due at 100K anyway.

In all ended up not so bad, but with around 4K in. I hope I don't need to do that often.

I quick note for the enthusiasts, who like their OBDII scanners and P-code detectors - This malfunction is not detected by the ODBII readers like the ones, containing the ELM327 chipset. I read somewhere that some other things like transmission failure are not issuing P-codes as well.

Last edited by drive4fun; 03-16-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: X-3
Just purchased a 07 x3 with and it has the clunking noise at low speeds, sounds terrible. The X has about 65k miles on it and I had it check out by the dealer. They have ordered a transfer case, I sure hope this corrects the problem. It has 19" m wheels on it, I was hoping to go to a set of 20" vertigo wheels. Does anyone know if it can run the 20's without any problems?

FL
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
flush the transfer case, delete transfer case values with dis and bmw approved tires for your x3. no after market cheap tires and different size

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: Atlanta
Idon't know if my pronlem with my x3 2004 is the transfer case - but I recently had to change my rotors and it seems that when I drive it Ican smell this bburnt like smeall and also seems like smoke coming from my wheels. Lately, the smell went away and now I hear this faint like noise when I slow down or begin to stop. Do you know what this could be....I replaced my back tires and the noise sort of went away - but I still can hear it.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: X-3
Transfer case replaced

I picked up my 07 x3 from having a transfer case replaced and in drove it about 30 miles and had a terrible burnt gear lube smell inside the car and the car drove worse after I picked it up. It sounded like a plane inside with a roar and felt like it had a parachute attached to it. I took it back to the dealer, who I love and have all the faith in the world,they took the car back to check it out. They said they found nothing wrong, but that still needed to replace tires since they dont match. As you know there are only two tires available with the 19 inch M Wheels.....but only one choice in my mind with the p zero's. They gave me the car back after having it checked and the car ran awesome, does anyone have any idea what they could have done? I woke up to my garage still smelling gear lube, I hope this goes away.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 D SPORT
Smile Transfer case cured by matching front/back tyres

Hi all - I also had the dreaded clunking and whirring from the transfer case - but read on Bimmerfest somewhere that someone had cured this by matching the front tyres with the rears exactly. I had had a dreadful experience to that point with having a refurbed diff fitted and offered a new transfer case at over 2k, so thought I would try the tyre matching option - and lo and behold it worked!!! My car now runs just like new.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: Atlanta
a mechanic told me it could be the differential is bad...what is that?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Hi Lindylou

Hi Lindylou - I would be very wary of mechs telling you the differential is faulty. They told me that, and refurbed it at great expense, only for us to find it made no difference at all. The problem was not the differential. it was the Transfer Case - and the reason it was making that noise was because I had different tread pattern tyres on front and back. Once I bought two new tyres to match the two newest on the car, it was fine - all funny noises etc gone. Now, that might not be the problem with your car - but the first thing you should do is check the tyres - make sure you have matching front and back. If that doesn't cure the problem, then get the techs to look a bit deeper. Differentials don't go faulty very often so unlikely to be that. Transfer cases need the oil changing about every 80,000 miles, so could be that. Good luck ...
Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
Diffs can damage the transfer case it happen for an e70 it had broken ring gear so both had to be replaced. tires are usually the most common and transfer cass
Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyd View Post
Hi Lindylou - I would be very wary of mechs telling you the differential is faulty. They told me that, and refurbed it at great expense, only for us to find it made no difference at all. The problem was not the differential. it was the Transfer Case - and the reason it was making that noise was because I had different tread pattern tyres on front and back. Once I bought two new tyres to match the two newest on the car, it was fine - all funny noises etc gone. Now, that might not be the problem with your car - but the first thing you should do is check the tyres - make sure you have matching front and back. If that doesn't cure the problem, then get the techs to look a bit deeper. Differentials don't go faulty very often so unlikely to be that. Transfer cases need the oil changing about every 80,000 miles, so could be that. Good luck ...
it wasn't the thread pattern it was the diameter of the tires that was different.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 AM

Odd noises - TC - tyres

Thanks for comments people - lots of pointers for Lindylou - it's all a learning curve!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2007
Hi guys, I have to thank all you knowledgeable people with the easy fix of my clunky t/case in my 2007 X3 57,000kms.So simple,although I did have my fingers crossed as a new t/case is $$$$$.I just bought the oil from BMW,changed it out,it was like treakle,topped her up 'til it dribbled out the overflow hole and problem disappeared.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Transfer Case Problem

[QUOTE=Speed66;5273282]Hi guys,

Last edited by Ranger 1967; 05-09-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: wrong information
Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 PM

I own a 2013 X3 xDrive28i with 8,000miles. I live in Florida. Last Saturday we had a heavy rain. It was a very slow drive due to conditions. The car began skipping and jerking. The car was towed to a BMW dealership. We were informed the transfer case has water damage. It will cost $6500 to repair. We were told to contact our insurance company. It is our fault. So, we have a car that can not be driven on rainy days.
We will be talking to the dealership manager

Last edited by Ranger 1967; 05-09-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: wrong information
Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Did you mean to post this on the F25 forum?

Sounds to me like the actuator ($1K) got swamped - can't see how the transfer case itself could get water in it and need to be replaced ($6.5K).

Might be worth paying for another tow to a dealership, or independent mechanic, that you can put more trust in.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Transfer Case

I probably posted in the wrong place. I was trying to get some answers. I've
read so many negativer postings on the transfer case.

Thanks for your comments.

Talked to dealership. No Help! Water got into the transfer case during a heavy rain. Not their fault. By the way, they had 27 cars in for water problems. Some cars were parked. Complained to BMW North America. No help. What ever the dealer says is right. Poor quality on transfer case protection agaist water. I've never had such a problem with my Lexus. This BMW will be trader, quickly.

Last edited by Ranger 1967; 05-09-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: More Information
Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
I'd like to post here about a great find from bluskye. He talks about it here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=694504

OdometerGears.com makes an alternative gear that replaced the damaged gear in the transfer case. It is made using a high temp nylon carbon fiber reinforced material which is self lubricating and better suited for the application than the original material.

You can find it here: http://www.odometergears.com/product...+1999-2010/132 where there's a slo a YouTube video and PDF decribing the replacement procedure. Crossrefenrence the actuator number to ensure it fits your application.

Also, I know of Cobra Transission that makes replacement parts for the transfer case.

Here's the parts available for the ATC400 (what my X3 mounts) : http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...x&cPath=3_2203. The also have parts for many other transfer cases: crossreference using RealOEM which transfer case you have.

I'm in no way affiliated to none seller, just passing it along since it looks relatively inexpensive compared to replacing the whole TC or actuator... Ciao!!!

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 05-09-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x3
Jerking and Transmission Fault light on

We bought 2004 X3 back in October of this year. 2nd day we had it, clunking noise and vehicle would not move. Talked with the Dealer we purchased it from they towed and said it was the Transfere case, they supposedly fixed that. After they fixed everything seem to be going fine until last week. TRansmission Fault light came on. Slight Jerk between 1st and 2nd gear. SLight jerk when you press the break. Light goes on and off. I really hope it is not the transfere case again. Yesterday while driving on the interstate. ALL lights on the dash lit up. Pulled of side of the road, turned the car off pulled the emergency break up then back down. Turned the car on lights off and car drove fine for about 20 minutes and then the transmission failure light came back on. Help here. Husband wants to get rid of the car, I like it but this problem is getting tiresome. Help!?!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: '03 530i Touring & '03 X3
Hi Bailey,

From the description of the symptoms I would suggest that the battery is load tested, and if it appears to be very low, that would describe the problems that you're experiencing.

Often, if a battery is discharged to a certain point, there may be some hope in restoring it by putting it onto a charger that has a desulphation feature. I would disconnect the battery from the vehicle, put the charger on it and set the charge rate to a low setting, e.g. 4-6 amps and let it charge for 24 hours.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 PM

Bailey,
The transfer case is a weak link in the car. It can cause transmission problems. Also, you can have problems with the transfer case if all tires are not the same. My problem was water got into the transfer case, which I found out can easily happen. I have a video of five X3's being driven in a channel of water at the BMW Performance Center. I have another video of an X3 driving fast through water on the side of the road. No one cared, would not listen (like talking to a tree) or answer my emails. My insurance paid the $6,500 for repairs. It is a fair weather car and we do not drive when heavy rain is expected. My wife and I have already decided to get rid of the car. I hope your dealership will do the right thing!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 1967 View Post
The transfer case is a weak link in the car. It can cause transmission problems. Also, you can have problems with the transfer case if all tires are not the same. My problem was water got into the transfer case, which I found out can easily happen.
Yes, there are a few possibilities of what might cause transfer case problems, either just to the actuator, the internals of the case itself, or both.

But some owners seem to escape the problem altogether even after 200K+ miles.

It seems that things to avoid include:

- mismatched or differing tread depth tires (as already referenced)

- damage to the heat shield protecting the actuator (as surmised by briansmobile1 in )

- overheating of the catalytic converter even with an intact heat shield
(associated with an excessively lean fuel mixture arising from a vacuum leak or some other component failure?)

- excessive water in that area (to actuator or case itself?)

Any other thoughts as to what causes the wear in one or two spots on the plastic gear for some owners but not others?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 x3
transfer case problems

Just had mine replaced under warranty at 36K miles. The previous owner ran non-approved tires on it and the transfer case started to lock up at slow speeds when turning.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 740I
Smile Transfer case gear

Based on forum information, seems like many of the 2006-2010 X3 transfer case
problems are related to the actuator gear failure. Well, now, there is an aftermarket
replacement available at eEuroparts.com made of high temp nylon carbon fiber reinforced
material. Go to their web site and at the search bar type 27107566296gr and the part
will display. The price is 174.99 You may also call 1-800-467-9769
I changed my transfer case oil today on my 2007 X3 (64,275 miles), have not had any
transfer case problems to date, oil looked OK, no burn smell. Hope the rest of you are
doing OK, just change that oil asap. If I start to here bad sounds in the future, the
actuator will be the first thing I will check.