Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi
Does a competition package equipped M3 ride noticeably rougher .

As compared to an M3 without the comp package? I have decent roads on my commute - but a harsh suspension can get old after a while. Sort of like a droning exhaust note. Not a frequent track guy. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Driving on instruments

Mein Auto: 2015 M3
Both M3s should ride exactly the same unless you've enabled the adjustable dampers. I have it set as part of my "M" Mode. Without "M" enabled the ride is quite comfortable. With it enabled, however, it does get noticably firmer.

If you want a comfortable ride just leave that turned off.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Thanks - surprised that the lowered suspension and 19" wheels don't make for a firmer ride. Anyhow seems that with EDC set at normal or comfort it is fine in the daily driver role. I have grown out of having any interst in teeth rattling suspensions ( ie Lexus ISF).
Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
As compared to an M3 without the comp package? I have decent roads on my commute - but a harsh suspension can get old after a while. Sort of like a droning exhaust note. Not a frequent track guy. Thanks
If both M3 have EDC then the difference is ride is negligible.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Both M3s should ride exactly the same unless you've enabled the adjustable dampers. I have it set as part of my "M" Mode. Without "M" enabled the ride is quite comfortable. With it enabled, however, it does get noticably firmer.

If you want a comfortable ride just leave that turned off.
That's not correct.

The "M" button by itself do not do anything that you have not set (steering, EDC, throttle, stability control level) previously.

For example I set my "M" botton to enable EDC in Normal, throttle in Sport +, stability control in MDM, steering in Sport. I can set the "M" button when pressed to do nothing different to what is set by not pressing the "M".

EDC can be set separately from the "M" button as part of the M Key settings so every time the car is started a particular EDC mode is set by default.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Any M3 is enjoyable for me. As the Minnesota member stated, a track set up will not be the same as a dd set up.
My bet is that you will be very hapy with the competitive package provided you will use it.
Your answer lies in your needs.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Rocket Scientist

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 and 2011 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Noticeably? Yes. Excessively? Only you can answer that. The lower sidewall profile and ride height (which almost certainly means higher spring rate) have an effect.

However, my thoughts/experience after driving both extensively, here in California, on freeways, streets, and canyon roads, and in Germany on the Autobahn, highways (B, K, and L), and he Nürburgring...

If you are going to (a) track your car but want a stock suspension or (b) are the type of person who drives 10/10ths on public roads you will want the Competition Package.

If you are going to modify your suspension you probably do not want EDC which is part of the ZCP package so you will not want the Competition Package.

If you (a) drive public roads without pushing your ability (or the car's) and (b) are unlikely to track the car and feel you don't want to give up anything in ride comfort/pothole protection you will not want the Competition Package.

In all honesty I could have gone either way. In my case it worked out that I leaned towards not getting it so I got my 2010 instead of waiting for a 2011. I also like the 18" wheels in gun metal. If I lived next to the 'Ring I probably would have gone for the Competition Package although still running EDC in Normal.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekressin View Post
Any M3 is enjoyable for me. As the Minnesota member stated, a track set up will not be the same as a dd set up.
My bet is that you will be very hapy with the competitive package provided you will use it.
Your answer lies in your needs.
You got 3 nice rides
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Driving on instruments

Mein Auto: 2015 M3
Quote:
I have it set as part of my "M" Mode. Without "M" enabled the ride is quite comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That's not correct.

The "M" button by itself do not do anything that you have not set (steering, EDC, throttle, stability control level) previously.
OK, terrific. Since I have it set as part of my "M" Mode my statement is correct.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
OK, terrific. Since I have it set as part of my "M" Mode my statement is correct.
This is not a pissing contest.

You mixed two separate features into one, giving the impression that one determines the other by default, which it is the incorrect part.

That's not even what the OP asked about.