Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Battery Reprogramming

What's involved and how is it done? I don't get this "re-programming". My computer knows instantly what it is that I've just attached to it, why can't my car do the same? BMW keeps adding owner costs by designing flawed systems that get better fuel consumption but end up costing us more in the end. Who ever heard of having to drive long distances to prevent your battery from dying prematurely?

I have my two "ultimate driving machines" attached to chargers when I'm not driving them because I'm paranoid about my batteries dying and having to take the cars to the dealer for replacing and "reprogramming". Is there any way I can bypass the dealer and do this myself when the time comes?
Ads by Google
Old 03-24-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I am getting varring reports from different service centres, they all say the battery needs to be registered and if you change the type of Battery eg Liquid Acid to AGM then the computure need to be reprogrammed. Anyone know if you can buy an after market scan tool that would do this at a reasonible cost? I have been quoted $1320 from BMW to replace with AGM reprogram and register! Also qouted $550 from an Indy for the same job.

I can buy a new AGM battery for $271, that means I can put $279 toward a scan tool!

I understand that the PEAK tool only gives you codes and lets you reset them, any suggestions on something with a bit more flexilbily?

I used to own a E39 528 which was great to work on. I like doing my own basic servicing so would like to get a scan tool that would help. I have a 2008 3.0D X5 and My Mum has just brought a new X3 2.0, may as well spend some money on something that can help me diagnose issues and save me some money in the longrun.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
research "BMW coding".
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^ agree. Buy a cable and download the software to a laptop. If you buy the same capacity battery it is a simple 30 second task.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 AM
nothing today

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
^^^
There is registering and coding.
1. Registering should be done for all new batteries. INPA can normally be used for this but Toolset 32 (TOOL32.EXE) can be used if your engine if not listed there. [I had to use Toolset 32].
2. If you get a battery different to what you have (i.e. switch to/from AGM; change AH by more than 5AH or so), you should do coding to tell your car about that. You want the CCA to be much the same too; not lower. [For example, my old battery was 900CCA, 90AH, AGM. My replacement was 900CCA, 95AH, AGM. No recoding was necessary (as my model did not have a 95AH to code anyway].