Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
upper radiator hose

I have a 97 528i, and I have been bleeding the coolant system for days now. This morning when i opened the hood the upper radiator house was clapsed. Is this from air in the system?
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2013, 04:46 AM
wat's dat noise

Mein Auto: '04 525i
Bleeding for days....?I thought only women do this....

Well you are doing it wrong.I bleed mine in 10 mins.fill up till full.then open the thermostat bleed screw and blow at the filler neck till water comes out and not air or air/water mix and close the bleeder screw.

And what is clapsed?

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Bimmer App

Last edited by moots; 03-25-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Do yourself a favor, disconnect the top hose at the radiator and pour coolant into the hose until full, then quickly reconnect it.
I just replaced the coolant in my 540 yesterday. I filled the system thru the expansion tank right to 1" of the top of the tank. It took about 10.5 quarts.
Then with the cap still off I disconnected the top hose and poured another quart in the hose, when the hose is full and the level in the tank rises to overflow the tank I then reconnect the top hose and put the cap back on.
Start the engine with the heat at 90 and fan speed at low. Let it idle and look for leaks, then I took it for a 2 mile ride. Parked it in the garage and then checked the expansion tank about 3 hours later, I added about 8 more ounces. This morning the level was fine.
I never have to use the bleed screw.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 03-25-2013, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by moots View Post
blow at the filler neck.
moots, your getting way to intimate with with your car, LOL.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 AM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '10 535iA, '00 528iTM
If hose is collapsed, replace your radiator cap....the vacuum relief valve is not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HmHRemd View Post
...........This morning when i opened the hood the upper radiator house was clapsed. Is this from air in the system?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 530I/Stick Blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
If hose is collapsed, replace your radiator cap....the vacuum relief valve is not working.
+1
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by HmHRemd View Post
I have a 97 528i, and I have been bleeding the coolant system for days now. This morning when i opened the hood the upper radiator house was clapsed. Is this from air in the system?
EDIT: Oops - didn't mean to be repetitious. Just a combination of getting interrupted and slow typing

I assume "clapsed" = collapsed. This sounds like a problem with the radiator/expansion tank cap.

Rad caps usually have a one way check valve to allow air into the system if pressure falls below atmospheric. I assume the BMW cap does too.

Keep in mind that there is always air plus water & EG vapor in the top of the expansion tank. When the system cools overnight from the temperature during the bleeding process the vapour contracts which reduces pressure, perhaps below atmospheric at which point the cap's check valve opens to allow air to enter and equalize pressure. If the check valve doesn't operate properly, the rad hose collapses. The effect would be magnified if the bleed isn't complete and there is another air pocket in the head or cabin heater circuit.

I think this effect is the reason that many people report having to add a bit of coolant the next morning after bleeding the system. Once that 2nd small fill is done the system is stabilized to ambient temperature and no further addition is needed (at least we sincerely hope )

Last edited by rdl; 03-25-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Will try all of the above. Thank you all