Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 05' X3
Muffler rattle (butterfly valve)

Hello, recently a rattle was coming from the rear of my 05í X3, in researching the issue and recently taking the car for its annual state safety inspection which confirmed no other issue with the exhaust system, it seems like for certain it is the interior butterfly valve rattling which apparently is a common issue when the cars start to age. For anyone unfamiliar with it I attached the picture of what it looks like. I read on here looking at old threads that it is an easy fix it yourself by forcing the valve to stay open by disconnecting a hose that controls it, leaving it in the open position which does not hurt the car and stops the noise. I have read about how to do it involving disconnecting a hose in the trunkís side panel that leads to it, but there was never a video or pics of how to do it and I am not very handy with things like that (though if itís as simple as they say I am sure I could manage it). My question was does anyone have pics or a video of this repair, or it not can anyone describe using the pics I attached how to do it? I saw many things that could be the hose/wire for the valve in the side panel of the truck, so there was no way I was going to start to mess with it before knowing. And if it canít be done on your own easily do you know if any normal muffler and break place would do it without insisting on replacing the entire muffler, which I suspect the dealership would which appears to be absolutely unnecessary and expensive. Thanks for the help, I know it is a specific question to my truck but Iím sure it will one day help others too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	367962   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	367963  
Ads by Google
Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
The small hose that you need to disconnect (and plug with a golf tee) is reached from outside the car.

See:

As an aside, in another recent thread, we were talking about the differences between the 2.5i and the 3.0i - this is another one as the 2.5i doesn't have it. Makes life simpler.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
I've actually disconnected the whole thing from the intake manifold. I'm not sure why someone thought was a good idea to run engine vacuum all the way across the car. In my case I was struggling with a vacuum leak so while pin-pointing the problem I got rid of that entire complexion.

This is all the stuff: there a vacuum accumulator, which is mounted on the driver side engine mount. A vacuum line from the rear of the manifold goes to the accumulator [8] and from the accumulator it goes into the firewall all the way back to a solenoid [1] then down to the exuast (nonsense if you ask me).

There's a few nipples on the read of the manifold, all plugged up, but one. So you can simply yank of the only line you find back there and plug it using the plug [15]. You can buy it at the dealer, or can find it at the part store. This deactivate the flap.

Don't unplug the solenoid in the trunk or a code will be recorded in the ECU (won't trigger any light in the dash)

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 03-25-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replies, the youtube video seems simple, and I found that hose that you unplug on my truck, I just need to buy a golf tee, so as long as that hose pulls off as easy as it seems in the video that should work. The second explanation is interesting too, just to be clear the intake manifold is under the front hood and is accessible without moving anything, right? If I can identify the right plug that suggestion would probably work too, I just donít exactly know what you mean by ďThere's a few nipples on the read of the manifold, all plugged up, but one. So you can simply yank of the only line you find back thereĒ.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflowers539 View Post
Thanks for the replies, the youtube video seems simple, and I found that hose that you unplug on my truck, I just need to buy a golf tee, so as long as that hose pulls off as easy as it seems in the video that should work. The second explanation is interesting too, just to be clear the intake manifold is under the front hood and is accessible without moving anything, right? If I can identify the right plug that suggestion would probably work too, I just donít exactly know what you mean by ďThere's a few nipples on the read of the manifold, all plugged up, but one. So you can simply yank of the only line you find back thereĒ.
The manifold is shared across multiple engines and multiple cars. On the back side there's different nipples where different accessories can access the vacuum. For example in some models the CCV or the secondary air-pump valve are vacuum controlled. The nipples that are not used are covered with rubber plugs: part 15 and 17 (different sizes).

On the X3 it's hard to see back there, but once you know what you're looking for, it's hard to go wrong since there's really only one vacuum line attached. All the other nipples have a plug because are unused. If you look down the engine on the drive side, you'll see the vacuum reservoir attached to engine mount.

I'll take a couple of pictures tonight from my Z4 where the area is very visible so you understand better.

You can definitely use the golf tee, I just decided to get rid of it all together...

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 03-28-2013, 01:57 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I have read alot of ways to fix this issue but instead of the golf tee or even I read of someone putting a BB in the line I decided to take a more simple route: a zip tie. I located the inlet of the line to the exhaust and simply bent it and zip tied to keep it bent (pinched). If for whatever reason I need to remove the tie I can either slide or cut it off. Simple and practical.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM

I finally got around to doing the golf tee mod, so far I have not had a rattle issue since. It is amazing how a simple thing like that can make a huge difference, had I not seen it I would have thought the idea of doing this is nuts, but it worked perfect.