Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: A4, JCW
Headlights

How are the headlights, we are looking at an X1 that doesn't have the extra light package..will we see ok at night?? Car we have now is not so good...
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
BMW lights are lousy unless you get the xenons. It's worth the extra money.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14 X1 xdrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by debls View Post
How are the headlights, we are looking at an X1 that doesn't have the extra light package..will we see ok at night?? Car we have now is not so good...
I think it is really a matter of personal preference. Personally, HID headlamps are a must when I am looking for a new car. I think they provide better visibility. However, I don't think you will have a problem seeing at night with the halogens.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
IMO HID are mostly marketing and a statement. If someone has aging eyes HID can help or hurt or have no effect if you live in a place with street lights on most roads and freeways. We've briefly touched on HID pro's/con's in another thread in more detail, might be worth searching for. For me though, the adaptive headlight feature is what sold me. I live in a very rural area with twisting roads plus runners, bikers and kids out at night in neighborhoods before or after sunset and the adaptive feature is very helpful.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by debls View Post
I night tested the car and I can say that the headlights are ok. They are on par with most new car standard lights. If you are looking to see through the car ahead of you (IE illuminate the car and its forward passage as well) then you should upgrade the lighting package. It is well worth it.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: X1 s28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
If you are looking to see through the car ahead of you (IE illuminate the car and its forward passage as well) then you should upgrade the lighting package
You mean blind and disorient the driver ahead of you???

The standard lights offer very good visibility. One of my pet peeves is being blinded by oncoming HID's that are not aimed properly. If they are aimed to avoid blinding other drivers, low beam HID's offer no further visibility than halogens.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txchas View Post
You mean blind and disorient the driver ahead of you???

The standard lights offer very good visibility. One of my pet peeves is being blinded by oncoming HID's that are not aimed properly. If they are aimed to avoid blinding other drivers, low beam HID's offer no further visibility than halogens.

I always assumed that the people with the high beams burning through the back of my trunk and giving me the quick tan were trying to see if they could generate XRays and illuminate the road for me when my headlights were not bright enough.

I guess your explanation and thoughts work better than mine though
Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
There are many people who have gone for the standard halogens, only to come back and post a thread along the lines of "How much does it cost to retrofit/upgrade my halogens? I wish I had gotten the Xenon upgrade but I didn't because "

If you live in an urban area with a lot of street lighting, then the halogens will suffice. If you drive in a more rural, xenons are a must. Don't worry about blinding others as headlights are required to have an aim or levelling adjustment* and BMWs with the xenons will have the self-levelling mechanism.

*Does not apply to North American vehicles
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Drive
Listen....of course the xenons are better than the halogens. But, they cost an extra $1200 for the lighting package. If you're watching your money in these tough economic times, forgoing the lighting package is a good way to save some money. I got the X Drive 28i with X Line, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, satin alum rails and Sat radio. I skipped the lighting package and the tech package and walked away with a beautiful X1 for 36K. My iPhone 5 has great NAV built in and, for me, the halogen headlights work just fine. If you have money to burn, by all means get the xenons. If I had an extra 100K to burn I'd be driving a Porsche Cayenne Turbo instead of an X1. Buy what you can afford.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: RX-8
IMHO...FWIW...it seems silly to fork out $35,000 or more for a car that you won't feel 100% comfortable driving at night. If you can "afford" a BMW (because let's face it, we are not buying for practicality) then you can "afford" the $1,200 lighting package.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
BTW the 2014 lighting package is $900 and if you do any rural driving it pays.....
Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Drive
Then I guess YOU can "afford" every single option on your BMW. That'll put you at 50K. And since you're not buying for practicality and you're spending 50K, I guess you should just spend 80K and get an X6.

I actually did buy my car for practicality. I get the quality, speed, handling and fun to drive characteristics with the practicality of free maintenance, free loaner cars, great gas mileage, decent storage, and a roof rack system to carry my bike and kayaks. I'm also 100% comfortable driving my X1 at night with my halogen headlights. They work great. And when your xenons break, like they did on my 3 series coupe, it'll cost you $1200 each to replace. Me? I'll just run down to the local auto parts store and grab a new bulb for a few bucks.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxx1918 View Post
Then I guess YOU can "afford" every single option on your BMW. That'll put you at 50K. And since you're not buying for practicality and you're spending 50K, I guess you should just spend 80K and get an X6.

I actually did buy my car for practicality. I get the quality, speed, handling and fun to drive characteristics with the practicality of free maintenance, free loaner cars, great gas mileage, decent storage, and a roof rack system to carry my bike and kayaks. I'm also 100% comfortable driving my X1 at night with my halogen headlights. They work great. And when your xenons break, like they did on my 3 series coupe, it'll cost you $1200 each to replace. Me? I'll just run down to the local auto parts store and grab a new bulb for a few bucks.
I meant no offense or disrespect.

I actually did buy a fully loaded X1 and yes I did look at the X6 X5 and X3 but the X1 drove better for my style. I prefer smaller vehicles but wanted some versatility and a fun to drive factor.

Btw if your worried about the cost of future replacement parts and maintenance you have the wrong badge on your car.

Again...just my 2 cents.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: michigan and ariizona
Thumbs down -100%

Some folks can't help but dig themselves in deeper.

He likes his car and he's happy with his lights. We should all hope for that.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanw View Post
BTW the 2014 lighting package is $900 and if you do any rural driving it pays.....
We have the adaptive xenons on our 2007 Coupe and we find them quite handy driving our type of back country roads. We judged the money well spent when buying a replacement vehicle.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
So glad BMW made it a stand alone package for 2014, since we do not need the premium package.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Personally, I got xenon for look, practicality, and re-sell value. Granted all 3 points are arguable, I believe Xenon w/ angel eyes gives the X1 a more updated look, higher lumen output, and higher resell value, especially when HID becomes more popular and could become standard equipment for luxury brand. I would not be surprised if BMW stop offering halogen headlight in a few years time. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by miataken; 03-25-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataken View Post
Personally, I got xenon for look, practicality, and re-sell value. Granted all 3 points are arguable, I believe Xenon w/ angle eyes gives the X1 a more updated look, higher lumen output, and higher resell value, especially when HID becomes more popular and could become standard equipment for luxury brand. I would not be surprised if BMW stop offering halogen headlight in a few years time. Just my $0.02.
Very true. It's already standard on other non luxury lines.