Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
What 2 year old designed the fuse box layout?

I say this because no one older than two can get their hand through the opening to reach the fuses. Most of the ones we would need to access are in the glove compartment through this tiny opening.

Last night, without so much as touching the rear washer, my new X3 decided to relieve itself by dumping every ounce of fluid to the rear window. I've seen this problem before in another thread so I knew immediately what the problem was. I have a November 2012 production car. After going totally empty, the pump continued to run to the point I was afraid it would drain the battery or burn up the pump. I thought I'd just pull the fuse or relay so the pump would stop. I also thought about pulling the wires off the pump motor. Location of the pump wasn't immediately obvious either. So after reading the owners manual, I determined the fuses were in the glove compartment. I could not find them from the instructions so I got on the internet and determined the location. The opening is only maybe 1 1/2" wide and the fuses are located 2-3" behind the back of the glove compartment. As if that's not enough, the fuses are recessed and require a fuse puller. This is just totally asinine. No adult can get their hand through that opening while holding a fuse puller and at the same time see which fuse they are grabbing. I've always bought BMW's because I've appreciated the thought that goes into the engineering; in particular the engineers seemed to design the cars with maintenance in mind. It is obvious in this case they have intentionally removed the ability of the owner to do something as simple as change a fuse without a major removal of the glove compartment or taking the car to a dealer. Fortunately I found that about 5 minutes after I locked the car, the pump would stop. This morning, with the pump still whining, I took the car to the dealer.

The design of the fuse box layout pisses me off more than the washer failure. Rant over.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport

Last edited by bimmernut1; 03-25-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: X3 F25 M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut1 View Post
I say this because no one older than two can get their hand through the opening to reach the fuses. Most of the ones we would need to access are in the glove compartment through this tiny opening.

Last night, without so much as touching the rear washer, my new X3 decided to relieve itself by dumping every ounce of fluid to the rear window. I've seen this problem before in another thread so I knew immediately what the problem was. I have a November 2012 production car. After going totally empty, the pump continued to run to the point I was afraid it would drain the battery or burn up the pump. I thought I'd just pull the fuse or relay so the pump would stop. I also thought about pulling the wires off the pump motor. Location of the pump wasn't immediately obvious either. So after reading the owners manual, I determined the fuses were in the glove compartment. I could not find them from the instructions so I got on the internet and determined the location. The opening is only maybe 1 1/2" wide and the fuses are located 2-3" behind the back of the glove compartment. As if that's not enough, the fuses are recessed and require a fuse puller. This is just totally asinine. No adult can get their hand through that opening while holding a fuse puller and at the same time see which fuse they are grabbing. I've always bought BMW's because I've appreciated the thought that goes into the engineering; in particular the engineers seemed to design the cars with maintenance in mind. It is obvious in this case they have intentionally removed the ability of the owner to do something as simple as change a fuse without a major removal of the glove compartment or taking the car to a dealer. Fortunately I found that about 5 minutes after I locked the car, the pump would stop. This morning, with the pump still whining, I took the car to the dealer.

The design of the fuse box layout pisses me off more than the washer failure. Rant over.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819442
Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 PM

Thanks Lair12. Excellent instructions you wrote. You should have written the X3 manual. The manual shows a door at the back of the glove box and implies you just need to lower that door to access the fuses. Even though your instructions are straight forward, I personally would not design a car where you had to remove the glove compartment in its entirety just for easy access to a fuse. That's just crazy. Sometimes you want to access a fuse quickly (horn stuck, washer pump stuck on for example).

I did hear back from the dealer. He says the FBE unit including a board needs to be replaced. I think the fuses reside on this board. It is being hot shotted in and should arrive tomorrow. I would think a bad board could cause any number of symptoms to appear since much of the controls receive their power from that board. In my case it was the rear washer pump; for others it might be door locks or the power windows.

Anyway, thanks to your writeup I'll know what to do next time and keep the appropriate tools in the car in case I'm away from home when a fuse blows.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
...He says the FBE unit including a board needs to be replaced. ...
FBE -> it's JBE (Junction Box Electronics).
Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
in particular the engineers seemed to design the cars with maintenance in mind.
Thats a funny one
Old 03-27-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Thats a funny one
LMAO.

That didn't quite come out right. I should have said accessibility for maintenance.

The good news is I got my car back. I dropped it off on Monday and the new JBE (thanks Noka) arrived on Tuesday. It was installed, software downloaded, and I picked the X3 up by mid day Wednesday. Happy with the fast and hopefully permanent fix.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Superb German engineering at work! What ever happened with putting fuze boxes in plain sight where you can get to them without dismantling the interior? Too easy I guess.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Thanks for posting such clear instructions on how to take off the glove compartment to access the fuses. Does anyone know where to find a fuse diagram for the 2013 X3 ? Sunroof doesn't open. Hopefully it's just the fuse.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: X3
FIGURED IT OUT! Wasn't the fuse. I had to "initialize" actually "reinitialize" the sunroof by holding the button up for about 20 seconds and keep the button pressed until the sunroof opened and closed all the way. Still would like to know where the fuse diagram can be found...why make the fuse panel so inaccessible?
Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBer View Post
FIGURED IT OUT! Wasn't the fuse. I had to "initialize" actually "reinitialize" the sunroof by holding the button up for about 20 seconds and keep the button pressed until the sunroof opened and closed all the way. Still would like to know where the fuse diagram can be found...why make the fuse panel so inaccessible?
You were not the only one. Had that experience with the sunroof suddenly going dead on me. Fortunately, it was not opened to the outside. BMW service asked to bring the car in and they did just you have described. They could have just instructed me over the phone and save me the trouble. All this computer glitches...reboot seems like the simple solution as a start.

Last edited by jeff_K; 04-19-2014 at 08:53 PM.