Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Seat Warmer Safety Issue

Help! We are on our second X3 and I am having a heck of a seat warmer issue. Driving down the highway I noticed an electrical smell and soon afterwards an extremely hot/burning sensation in my thigh. Driving at highway speeds and trying to get off the road was fun. Looks like a hole in my car seat and pants as well. Cannot use my seat warmer now. Car is less than 3 months out of extended warranty. Any guidance? I hear this is a common problem! Why don't they do something? $1400 bucks to fix?
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Something NOT TO DO

I was told to never kneel on the seat such as you might do when leaning in to look for something. Putting a lot of pressure on a small area of the seat apparently can break the fine wires that make up the heating grid. Never thought about it but it does make sense. Now whether or not this should happen is a complete different subject but since it does, heed this warning.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the reply-I can't remember ever kneeling on seat. Have been doing a little research and it seems to be a pretty big problem.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmmike View Post
.... I can't remember ever kneeling on seat. Have been doing a little research and it seems to be a pretty big problem.
But you never know what happens when your car is in for service, or when someone else drives it.

I've often seen service advisors or mechanics kneeling on seats to check odometer readings or something.

Shouldn't be necessary on the X3 as their key reader gives them all the info., but still happens.

But seat heaters seem to be a potential trouble spot with many cars.
One of the things I am happy not to have.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
I had that happen on our 2004 as well. Seat gets painfully hot really fast! BMW helped with goodwilll repair out of warranty. So have a discussion with your dealer and BMWNA as necessary. Keep your "cool" (even though your seat didn't) and maybe you can get a resolution you can live with.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Find a good lawyer, have him call BMWNA and tell them that because you got injured by your car, he wants to sue BMWNA but you only want the repair covered. Play good cop bad cop, that should work.

Totally unacceptable issue, can be extremely dangerous and should have been a recall for this.

If my hairy ass goes on fire, I ll go up in flames in no time
Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjladopoulos View Post
Find a good lawyer, have him call BMWNA and tell them that because you got injured by your car, he wants to sue BMWNA but you only want the repair covered. Play good cop bad cop, that should work.

Totally unacceptable issue, can be extremely dangerous and should have been a recall for this.

If my hairy ass goes on fire, I ll go up in flames in no time
I would probably start with a conversation with the dealer or BMWNA before starting the scorched earth approach.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, E83 X3si
Had same issue with my seat. Got it replaced under cpo, $1200... This is more common on x5, but does happen on e83 as well... Hope you get it covered under warranty.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Yep. Mine fired too. I'm going to buy an entire replacement seat from the salvage yard (one that has a working seat heater that is) for 200 bucks.

Then I'm going to tear into the original seat to see if I can find out what is wrong.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 PM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickm5X3 View Post
I would probably start with a conversation with the dealer or BMWNA before starting the scorched earth approach.
Yeah goes without saying that u need to talk to the dealer first.. I just assumed worse case scenario

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Bimmer App
Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
I would LOVE to see a DIY on this. My driver's seat went out, but passenger is fine. I haven't bothered since I don't really care all that much, but I'd love to get it repaired for part cost. Anyone seen a good writeup on a seat tearapart?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, E83 X3si
Quote:
Originally Posted by avoisin View Post
I would LOVE to see a DIY on this. My driver's seat went out, but passenger is fine. I haven't bothered since I don't really care all that much, but I'd love to get it repaired for part cost. Anyone seen a good writeup on a seat tearapart?
Shouldnt be that hard.. Make sure that your battery is disconnected before disconnecting seats, otherwise Airbag light will be on..
Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 AM

Just wanted to leave a follow up-Looks like BMW is going to fix my seat! Thank you for all the advice. Look forward to many more posts regarding maintaining my X3.