Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 98 740il
No Crank No Start Electrical gremlin Problem Solved!!!

Well after several days of cleaning connections and chasing wires and pulling codes I finally got my 740il started for the first time and am happy to say running like a champ. As it turned out the communication error I was getting between the dme and the ews was caused in part by having the wrong plug plugged into it. In the ebox there are 3 boxes, one of them being the dme the other two i am not sure but one of the boxes has an identical outlet on it as the dme. The only difference is the color of the plastic ,which is blue. I got to looking and one of the plugs on the dme was blue and 1 of the plugs on the other box was black and upon closer inspection sure as ****,the plugs were identical so I switched them around and rescanned and sure enough,no more can message errors and no more ews-dme input wire fault. It still did not turn over but then I used the bmw 1.4 scanner bought off of ebay to resync the dme to ews and result was success although it still would not turn over but I was then able to take some voltage readings at the starter and it showed that battery voltage was present at the starter and it was also getting the signal with the key in the start position. So out came the starter and off came the soliniod and about 1/4 of water/rust came out of it as well. The car was wet when I got it but until taking it apart including the carpets I had no idea how wet. I probably pulled 5 gallons of water out of the carpet,insulation and floorboards total. I dont know what happened to get it so wet ,as the guy that sold it to me was lying about the history of when and why the problems occured. I think it was drivin into a lake or something because it was way past drains clogging wet but now that its cleaned up and dry there is no musty smell,the interior is like brand new and I have got myself a runner with less then 100k for a total including parts about 1100. I still have a few gremlins to work out and will be updating my progress as each one is fixed in hopes that some of my discoveries will help someone else who doesnt know where to begin. Thanx to every one that gave me input as I would have never stumbled across the fixes it needed to get to where its at.. Along the way I have noticed alot of problem areas that may effect the elect. system in general so if your stuck after trying everything you can come up with let me know,I may be able to help Thanx again everyone
Advertisement