Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
Windshield cleaners -inside and out

What are you guys using to clean your windshields, both inside and out? I can see a line where the wipers pass when using Windex on the outside, just before it evaporates. My Dad used to use an old time recipe of ammonia, white vinegar and water for any glass and I might just give it a try.

The I side gets filmy, what's good for that?

Thanks for any replays, I hate dirty glass!

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Ads by Google
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 02 s55 AMG,02 540i
When I wax my car I also wax all windows,On the inside just a damp towel ...but I don't smoke,eat or drink inside either when in the car. I hope this helps
Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: E46 E89 F30(Msport)
On the inside I use Eagle One cleaner and a good quality microfiber towel. On the outside, I use Eagle One cleaner, and I use #0000 steel wool on the front windshield, followed by more cleaner and a good microfiber towel, and I finish with RainX.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Rainx cleaner/wax is really good for the outside. Plain water with mf towels for the inside. Hard to beat the look of a really clean windshield.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
I use two with no preference as both are very good. Stoners Invisible Glass and Sprayway glass cleaner

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post
What are you guys using to clean your windshields, both inside and out? I can see a line where the wipers pass when using Windex on the outside, just before it evaporates. My Dad used to use an old time recipe of ammonia, white vinegar and water for any glass and I might just give it a try.

The most important product for me are the Griot's polypropylene lint free glass towels. They are not perfect, there is still a very tiny amount of lint sometimes, but they still are way better than anything else I've tried. They will bunch up easily (still have yet to get the buddy tool thingy they sell), and I advise against tearing them apart for economy because the lint will definitely increase in my experience. I still don't consider anything else at this point.

For the cleaner, I also have Sprayway and Stoners, like them both, but have been pretty much been only using Meguiars D120 for some time now. This choice is very secondary compared to the the above choice of towel for me.

Other tips to possibly check out:

Clean the wiper blades down sometimes, they will get grime built up on them.

Once you get it really clean, the best thing to do is keep it clean, never let oils build up in the micropits.

Clay the windshield. Go at it. First time I clayed my windows, from maybe a ballpark of 10' away, at dusk, I had a very hard time in telling whether the windows were rolled up or down.

Make certain to keep ammonia away from window tint.

Obviously not for the windshield in particular, but you would be shocked to see how dirty the window felts get, and how quickly. From time to time, I'll wrap an MF towel over a card to do the trick in getting in there.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:04 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki - "Glass Cleaning Process" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...g-process.html

If you have any questions about this article or the techniques used, please let me know or feel free to send me a PM
Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post

I've posted what I use above but to answer your question about the film that gets on the inside of the car...that's called out gassing, it's what is coming off the plastics, leather and all the surfaces on the car. It's very common with new cars, you can see the blue hue to the inside windows.

You can clean it with glass cleaner but bare in mind it will return in a few days to a week or so.

Its Going To Cost How Much???????