Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
I've done a MB, Audi and 2 Porsche ED's and overall the BMW program is probably better. Don't take me wrong - the cost savings is a big deal to me too. The cost delta at MSRP on the M6 vert is $8K so that goes a long way in negotiating an ED invoice up deal. I'd like to wait for the end of the year deals but this is a 6-7 week trip and good weather is bigger factor than the extra potential savings.

Penske recently acquired the dealer I've done many of the BMW ED's (same CA) and the dealerships posture re ED changed dramatically.

Yeah weather is another factor. It will be my first ED. I'll likely order around Feb for a April delivery of a '14 650 coupe. I actually have to wait until Jan 15 or so, that's when I signed up for BMWCA. Has to be 12 months before you can get the discount. And of course with ED as you am sure are aware, you can use any dealer in the country. What did Penske change?
Most dealers from what I have read will charge $500-1000 above BMWCONFIG pricing for a ED.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Yeah weather is another factor. It will be my first ED. I'll likely order around Feb for a April delivery of a '14 650 coupe. I actually have to wait until Jan 15 or so, that's when I signed up for BMWCA. Has to be 12 months before you can get the discount. And of course with ED as you am sure are aware, you can use any dealer in the country. What did Penske change?
Most dealers from what I have read will charge $500-1000 above BMWCONFIG pricing for a ED.
Some dealers will sell at $500/$1K above ED invoice but my experience is most will not. $500 on a 650 woud be skinny deal but I suspect several board sponsors will do $1K over. I had a place in Cocoa Beach but gave up with FL dealers. There is a great dealer/board sponssor in Atlanta

Penske seems to be less willing to offer the kind of deals "festers want to make on ED cars and required hard ball tactics. Odd, since it was the same sales staff/sales mgmt as pre- Penske. I hear Autonation has a similar attitude. Both Penske and Autonation are on a car dealer shopping spree as are a few other conglomerates so the number of mom and pop dealers are declining.

Good thinking on the CCA rebate; they require >365 days of membership; not a day less.
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 03-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
I do think that the ED program has more visibility -and therefore, more opinionated reactions- in forums (in Bimmerfest in particular) than in real life.

No South Florida dealer even paid attention to my requests of doing ED with an Individual special order. All of them wanted a local deal -regardless of what I really wanted. I had to go outside the state to get what I wanted. And my experience at the Welt and at the Individual center virtually guaranteed at least 5 more BMWs in my future.

Again, I really do not think that suddenly ED will take over in sales of anything. Even the $500-$1000 over ED invoice (mostly a forum exclusive) must be less than 1% of real ED deals, which in turn must be at straight ED MSRP in the vast majority of ED sales. In my experience, dealers do not like ED at all, they do not promote it, they do not even mention it during sales conversations -treating it like the bad guy from the Potter movies. And it seems to me that if anything, those aforementioned megadealers are the ones pushing BMWNA for ED to become more restrictive and difficult to justify for an even greater majority of customers. And not the other way around, and regardless if you spend one day or the full 2 weeks picking your car up.

And another thing, whoever at BMWNA that did not like the M5 ED combo sale must be the same guy that came up with the Lines and restrictions crap on F30's. I think that BMW should pay more attention to really important things -like adjusting MSRP prices so they do not have to rely that much on incentives/trunk money and in better trained salespersons.

If you can get a F30 AH3 of $66,000 for $53,000 at a local dealer without too much effort then something else is really screwed up.

Last edited by Technic; 03-26-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Some dealers will sell at $500/$1K above ED invoice but my experience is most will not. $500 on a 650 woud be skinny deal but I suspect several board sponsors will do $1K over. I had a place in Cocoa Beach but gave up with FL dealers. There is a great dealer/board sponssor in Atlanta

Penske seems to be less willing to offer the kind of deals "festers want to make on ED cars and required hard ball tactics. Odd, since it was the same sales staff/sales mgmt as pre- Penske. I hear Autonation has a similar attitude. Both Penske and Autonation are on a car dealer shopping spree as are a few other conglomerates so the number of mom and pop dealers are declining.

Good thinking on the CCA rebate; they require >365 days of membership; not a day less.
Not surprised about the conglomerates making ED tougher. They don't like it simply since they make much less profit. But of course they have no work to do other than placing the order. No delivery/prep/inventory issues. I'm in FL and the dealers are generally disinterested. As I started with approaching with a USAA deal when it was $6K off US invoice, they never call back or followup. I waited due to the upgraded Idrive coming, and in the meantime USAA deal tanked to $2K off invoice. Best deal now looks like ED.
Of course the $3500 credit does not currently apply to the '14 which has the new Idrive, so I'm waiting again. If I get too pissed at this game, I'll go for the refreshed MB e550 coupe out this summer ( I joined the MBUSA club to hedge my bets) or hell maybe even the C7 Vette in the fall and save some bucks.

Last edited by mrjoed2; 03-26-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Not surprised about the conglomerates making ED tougher. They don't like it simply since they make much less profit. But of course they have no work to do other than placing the order. No delivery/prep/inventory issues. I'm in FL and the dealers are generally disinterested. As I started with approaching with a USAA deal when it was $6K off US invoice, they never call back or followup. I waited due to the upgraded Idrive coming, and in the meantime USAA deal tanked to $2K off invoice. Best deal now looks like ED.
Of course the $3500 credit does not currently apply to the '14 which has the new Idrive, so I'm waiting again. If I get too pissed at this game, I'll go for the refreshed MB e550 coupe out this summer ( I joined the MBUSA club to hedge my bets) or hell maybe even the C7 Vette in the fall and save some bucks.
I've been out of the business for many years now, so this is just my personal opinion, but I am a former Penske employee and definitely understand why an organization like that wouldn't really be thrilled by $500 over invoice ED deals.

I think you guys on this board REALLY underestimate what it takes for a successful ED.

Too many people here have the mentality "this deal will only take 30 minutes of work, why won't they take my $500 over ED invoice offer?".... reality is, an ED order takes more time to prepare and follow-through on than a US delivery order (which truly is "set and forget" until the car comes in, strictly speaking from a processing perspective). Ask one of the sponsors here how much time it takes to process an ED order vs. a US delivery order.

On either type of order, the salesperson is likely to get emails/phone calls requiring their attention, but that depends more on the buyer than the type of deal so its not really an ED vs. US issue.

And from a delivery standpoint, it requires almost the same amount of work.... similar F&I paperwork, similar delivery process except for the fact you've already gone over the car in Europe, which saves the salesperson 30 minutes of showing you how to work the radio and nav.

So whats the difference for the dealer? Your $500 over 3-series order gets the dealer $500 margin, from which they have to pay a salesperson, sales manager, general manager, etc. and hope to have something left to go towards paying the mortgage on the building, the electric bill, etc. At that price, there is nothing left in the car to go towards their overhead, so forget about any hope of profit. For a similar US delivery deal of $500 over, they also have ~$1500-$2000 coming back from BMW as added value bonus payment.

6MT, M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Tech Pkg, HK Sound, M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Power Kit

Former: 2011 335xi Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
^^^ Thanks for posting this
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Pardon the naive question, but where might I get details on ED Invoice price? I've tried the Eurobuyer website in the original post, but that does not seem to work anymore. Further, the BMWconfig website will not allow me to add the "Competition" package to my M6, so I can't get the price there either. Finally, does anyone have a recommendation in/around the North Texas area that works well with ED purchases? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Trout Krazy
Old 02-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 528, CTS
Pretty sure you can just take the base price and *.92 and then again by *.93. For options just multiply by *.91. Add in the destination fee and I think training fee? (no MACO). This should get you really close. Then just ask your dealer for the ED Invoice and see if your numbers match up, and they should be really close.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutKrazy View Post
Pardon the naive question, but where might I get details on ED Invoice price? I've tried the Eurobuyer website in the original post, but that does not seem to work anymore. Further, the BMWconfig website will not allow me to add the "Competition" package to my M6, so I can't get the price there either. Finally, does anyone have a recommendation in/around the North Texas area that works well with ED purchases? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Trout Krazy
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=749329
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Thank you!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I've been out of the business for many years now, so this is just my personal opinion, but I am a former Penske employee and definitely understand why an organization like that wouldn't really be thrilled by $500 over invoice ED deals.

I think you guys on this board REALLY underestimate what it takes for a successful ED.

Too many people here have the mentality "this deal will only take 30 minutes of work, why won't they take my $500 over ED invoice offer?".... reality is, an ED order takes more time to prepare and follow-through on than a US delivery order (which truly is "set and forget" until the car comes in, strictly speaking from a processing perspective). Ask one of the sponsors here how much time it takes to process an ED order vs. a US delivery order.

On either type of order, the salesperson is likely to get emails/phone calls requiring their attention, but that depends more on the buyer than the type of deal so its not really an ED vs. US issue.

And from a delivery standpoint, it requires almost the same amount of work.... similar F&I paperwork, similar delivery process except for the fact you've already gone over the car in Europe, which saves the salesperson 30 minutes of showing you how to work the radio and nav.

So whats the difference for the dealer? Your $500 over 3-series order gets the dealer $500 margin, from which they have to pay a salesperson, sales manager, general manager, etc. and hope to have something left to go towards paying the mortgage on the building, the electric bill, etc. At that price, there is nothing left in the car to go towards their overhead, so forget about any hope of profit. For a similar US delivery deal of $500 over, they also have ~$1500-$2000 coming back from BMW as added value bonus payment.
That's assuming they will be making other deals in the time dealing with yours, which isn't anywhere near true. If that was the case, car salesman turnover would be much lower than it is. You have to take the small deals with the big deals, ie my pain in the butt self accounting for every penny versus grandma coming in and buying the fully loaded 7er on the showroom floor at MSRP and without any credits.

Last edited by basiluf; 02-10-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutKrazy View Post

-Trout Krazy
Unfortunately, no. I've done my last two deals (one ED, one regular) through Greg Poland in Calif. There's shipping cost, but it's really hassle free. Call him.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
I'm also thinking about Euro delivery. How does the US pickup work if we use a sponsor rather than a local dealer? Does destination include shipping to somewhere near me or do I meet the car at a port, like NY, NJ or Baltimore?

Thank you
Old 02-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
I'm also thinking about Euro delivery. How does the US pickup work if we use a sponsor rather than a local dealer? Does destination include shipping to somewhere near me or do I meet the car at a port, like NY, NJ or Baltimore?

Thank you
Option 1: Pick up the car from the dealer from whom you acquired the vehicle;

Option 2: Have the car delivered to a dealer close to you as a courtesy delivery from the dealer from whom you acquired the vehicle, generally at a charge;

Option 3: Take re-delivery of your car at the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg (SC): BMW picks you up from the airport, puts you up for the night in a hotel, pays for your dinner, and the next morning makes you drive around a racetrack in a BMW that is not yours ... Plus some other fun little experiences including a tour of the factory - and then presents you with your car again all nice and shined up and wishes you a great time driving it home up the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The beauty of No. 3 is that you can buy the car from any sponsoring dealer at a great savings regardless of where they are located

Not aware of other options but may stand corrected

Preparing for July 2014 ED campaign: 435i Cabrio M/Sport ~ with Mrs. Poc's blessings for some twisty roads
F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé
ED 2008: Click here to view ED report
PCD Re-Delivery: Click here for PCD Report
BMWCCA Nº. 383753