Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Anyone removed a resonator or 2 from their stock exhaust?

I thought I have read of a member or 2 that removed one or two of the silencers on the stock 535 F10 exhaust. Can anyone comment or give advice on this? My goal would be to get a SLIGHT increase in exhaust note without having any drone or interior resonance.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Ads by Google
Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 PM
BMW Freak

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
That was me. It only gave the exhaust 3 more decibels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	368244  

2011 535i (07/2011 build) Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, ZSP, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, 2TB, 6NF, 6NR.

Retired: 2009 328i,Titanium Silver, Black Interior, Dark Wood Trim, ZPP, ZLP, 609, 494, AAW Tune.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Festaholic

Ah true! Sorry I forgot Mr Grumpy. Thank you for sharing that pic as that was my next question. Hmm, that is interesting that you removed that crossover box. Back in my muscle car days it was desirable to have a "X-pipe" to balance exhaust pulses. I was assuming there would single resonators on each dual pipe.

Mr Grumpy, would you recommend that exhaust mod?

Thanks

Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 PM
BMW Freak

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
Ah true! Sorry I forgot Mr Grumpy. Thank you for sharing that pic as that was my next question. Hmm, that is interesting that you removed that crossover box. Back in my muscle car days it was desirable to have a "X-pipe" to balance exhaust pulses. I was assuming there would single resonators on each dual pipe.

Mr Grumpy, would you recommend that exhaust mod?

Thanks
It's not an X-pipe. I actually thought the same thing but after removing it I noticed that it's only two resonator pipes joined by some base. I was tempted to open it to see if it was some sort of H-pipe but I haven't done it. Our car won't benefit from the scavenging benefits of an X-pipe anyways because the gases meet at the turbo housing and leave the housing through a single pipe, it just get divided by a Y after the catalytic converter.

In regards of recommending the mod it will be entirely up to you. The only major sound difference is when the engine is under load or at WOT and is not that big of a difference, but then again it may be exactly what you're looking for.

2011 535i (07/2011 build) Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, ZSP, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, 2TB, 6NF, 6NR.

Retired: 2009 328i,Titanium Silver, Black Interior, Dark Wood Trim, ZPP, ZLP, 609, 494, AAW Tune.

Last edited by Mr. Grumpy; 03-25-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Interested in this as well. Mostly curious as to the sound QUALITY of removing the resonators, as I've heard some cars which have had that setup and sounded "dirty" in a not-good way, like louder but less "tuned" or clean.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy View Post
It's not an X-pipe. I actually thought the same thing but after removing it I noticed that it's only two resonator pipes joined by some base. I was tempted to open it to see if it was some sort of H-pipe but I haven't done it. Our car won't benefit from the scavenging benefits of an X-pipe anyways because the gases meet at the turbo housing and leave the housing through a single pipe, it just get divided by a Y after the catalytic converter.

In regards of recommending the mod it will be entirely up to you. The only major sound difference is when the engine is under load or at WOT and is not that big of a difference, but then again it may be exactly what you're looking for.
Thanks Mr G! Great information. I guess BMW used some serious sound deadining mufflers. If this wasn't a family car for me I would have tried the Dynomax VT mufflers.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Would dynomax mufflers fit on an f10? Checked out their website and you can't even pull BMW up on their accessible cars list.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.