Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM
bmwombat bmwombat is offline
Registered User
Location: Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport
Need Advice re Pirelli P0's

Hi all,

MY brand new car (1650 kms) has developed a huge bubble on the driver's side front tyre (Dunlop RFLs of course) - I have no recollection of hitting that tyre on anything. Because the car is so new & this is apparently a new variant of this RFL,there is no replacement stock in the country & there won't be for at least 6 weeks. I can't wait that long as I have a major road trip planned in 5 weeks time & need reliable tyres for it. BMW have quoted me $A990 for a replacement when it becomes available - the usual highway robbery!!!

Irrespective of whether or not the tyre manufacturer agrees it's a warranty fault (& knowing my luck it won't be) I am still up to replace the faulty tyre &, because i can't get the same tyre I really need to replace both front tyres so I have matching rubber on the front - so I'm up for around $A1,000 to do that anyway.

At this stage I need to make a quick decision & thus keeping my stock 351M rims is my plan - I'd like to use Michelin PSS's but they don't make them in a 245/40/19; next choice was a PS3 but they don't make a 275/35/19 for the rear (assuming I later decided to totally ditch the RFLs [which I'd like to do]).

So the next best bet in a Pilot Sport is the PS2 which makes those size tyres for both front & rear.

So my question is - does anyone have any advice, war stories about Michelin PS2's - good, bad, indifferent?
__________________
Driving: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport Carbon Black
=======================

Last edited by bmwombat; 03-26-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM
rmorin49's Avatar
rmorin49 rmorin49 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hagerstown, MD,
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,133
Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwombat View Post
Hi all,

MY brand new car (1650 kms) has developed a huge bubble on the driver's side front tyre (Dunlop RFLs of course) - I have no recollection of hitting that tyre on anything. Because the car is so new & this is apparently a new variant of this RFL,there is no replacement stock in the country & there won't be for at least 6 weeks. I can't wait that long as I have a major road trip planned in 5 weeks time & need reliable tyres for it. BMW have quoted me $A990 for a replacement when it becomes available - the usual highway robbery!!!

Irrespective of whether or not the tyre manufacturer agrees it's a warranty fault (& knowing my luck it won't be) I am still up to replace the faulty tyre &, because i can't get the same tyre I really need to replace both front tyres so I have matching rubber on the front - so I'm up for around $A1,000 to do that anyway.

At this stage I need to make a quick decision & thus keeping my stock 351M rims is my plan - I'd like to use Michelin PSS's but they don't make them in a 245/40/19; next choice was a PS3 but they don't make a 275/35/19 for the rear (assuming I later decided to totally ditch the RFLs [which I'd like to do]).

So the next best bet in a Pilot Sport is the PS2 which makes those size tyres for both front & rear.

So my question is - does anyone have any advice, war stories about Michelin PS2's - good, bad, indifferent?
Can't help you on the tire question but that is one awesome ride you have. Sure wish we could buy this in the USA. Rumor has it that perhaps later this year. Tell us about the performance. What are the specs on the motor?
__________________

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM
m6pwr m6pwr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 289
Mein Auto: '14 335i M Sport
Are you sure about the super sports? Tire Rack in usa shows they are made in your size - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=57751&tab=All
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM
The Eleven The Eleven is offline
Registered User
Location: Phoenix, AZ
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 2012 550i / Stage 2
I replaced the OEM Bridgestones my last car, an Infiniti M, with PS2's and was very happy with the tire. Originally, I was going to get PSS's but I ended up getting such a great deal on the PS2's I couldn't pass them up. They seemed to be a very well liked tire overall from my research and the Infiniti guys also liked them too. The M tends to tramline pretty badly but the PS2's cured that issue almost completely. Pretty quiet, decent ride and good handling. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on my 550i if I wanted to go with a non-runflat and the PSS's were not available.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
You sure can get 245/40-19 and 275/35-19 Pilot Super Sports. Either that or I need reading glasses to read those hoops on my wheels.

Is it possible you can't get them in Oz?
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 PM
dalekressin's Avatar
dalekressin dalekressin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,007
Mein Auto: 2010 M3
I'd fit PSS on this car regardless of warrantee.
__________________
94 530i sold (That was difficult for me)
01 530i >144,500+ miles SOLD
06 330XI winter's especially fun drive (SOLD)
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM
bmwombat bmwombat is offline
Registered User
Location: Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport
Now Looking at Pirelli P0's

I have now confirmed that Michelin do not import ANY tyre combo into OZ that suits my ride (apart from their Primacy RFL - which I obviously don't want). It Turns out that since I put this 1st post up I've found out I was mislead re the PS2s as well - I can't get a matching set of them either...bugga!

Yes guys I know I can get the PSSs from the US & I may just have to end up importing them myself but I need a short term fix as well in order to do my road trip.

Now thinking of Pirelli's P0 - any thoughts?
__________________
Driving: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport Carbon Black
=======================
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
radarguy radarguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 815
Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
This sounds like the situation when the 2011 F10 X-Drive was introduced into the USA with Goodyear LS2 tires. Not only did they fail a lot, but you had to wait six weeks for a replacement. Now they are available in stock or with a one day wait.

I discovered during this period that there are two distribution channels for the tires. One is through Goodyear dealers and the other through BMW supply. The two distribution channels are totally independent of each other. So, I would check one distribution channel then the other and sometimes one would come through way before the other. If it works that way in OZ then I would check both distribution channels for tires.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM
wildcardz wildcardz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 168
Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwombat View Post
I have now confirmed that Michelin do not import ANY tyre combo into OZ that suits my ride (apart from their Primacy RFL - which I obviously don't want). It Turns out that since I put this 1st post up I've found out I was mislead re the PS2s as well - I can't get a matching set of them either...bugga!

Yes guys I know I can get the PSSs from the US & I may just have to end up importing them myself but I need a short term fix as well in order to do my road trip.

Now thinking of Pirelli's P0 - any thoughts?
My msport with the 351m wheels actually came with Pirelli's. No problems, bubbles or otherwise for ~9K miles so far.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 AM
clutchlee clutchlee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 238
Mein Auto: BMW 2011 535xi
Maybe you can try the Continental DW? I'm currently running the DWS (all season) and I love them. They are so much quieter than the runflats and I haven't had any problems (knock on wood).
__________________
_____________2011 BMW 535i xDrive_____________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM
bmwombat bmwombat is offline
Registered User
Location: Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
This sounds like the situation when the 2011 F10 X-Drive was introduced into the USA with Goodyear LS2 tires. Not only did they fail a lot, but you had to wait six weeks for a replacement. Now they are available in stock or with a one day wait.

I discovered during this period that there are two distribution channels for the tires. One is through Goodyear dealers and the other through BMW supply. The two distribution channels are totally independent of each other. So, I would check one distribution channel then the other and sometimes one would come through way before the other. If it works that way in OZ then I would check both distribution channels for tires.
Yes thanks for that. I have already checked thru both BMW & 2 other major tyre dealers here & they all say it'll be at least 6 weeks before stock is in country, so it looks as though I'm up for 2 new front tyres so what better time to start getting rid of the the RFLs than now eh?
__________________
Driving: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport Carbon Black
=======================
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-27-2013, 01:59 PM
bmwombat bmwombat is offline
Registered User
Location: Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
Can't help you on the tire question but that is one awesome ride you have. Sure wish we could buy this in the USA. Rumor has it that perhaps later this year. Tell us about the performance. What are the specs on the motor?
Have only driven it 1600 kms so still breaking it in somewhat but it IS an effprtless drive. I can putter around town in Comfort+ or Comfort drive (or even Eco-Pro mode if I really want to laze about)), then unleash the beast on the highway in Sport / Sport+ mode - it's so awesome & on the few times I put my foot down so far then it just launches out of the stable with little perceptible difference to the 550 (& my last 3 beemers have had the 4.4 V8 motor so that I'm not really missing the extra 70 Kw of power) + I have the benefit of using diesel & getting the better economy. Engine specs are:

Maximum Power (kW / hp / rpm)
535d - 230 / 313 / 4,400
550i - 300 / 407 / 5,500 - 6,400

Maximum Torque (Nm / rpm)
535d - 630 / 1,500 - 2,500
550i - 600 / 1,750 - 4,500

Acceleration 0-100 km/h (s)
535d- 5.5
550i - 5.0

Will have moie to say after my next road trip down to southern Victoria in May.
__________________
Driving: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport Carbon Black
=======================
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms