Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
I'm sure it will be a great car, but I don't like it. It's too overstated for me. I can't imagine driving one of these to a client's office.

I don't know. Less likely to provoke a reaction than showing up in an M5. Clients tend to be more aware of the price of your car than the looks,unless it is bright Orange or something like that.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
I'm sure it will be a great car, but I don't like it. It's too overstated for me. I can't imagine driving one of these to a client's office....
But a BMW five series is okay?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
I kind of like that front. It's something fresh. The specs look great on paper. As K-A said, I can't get over that GM parts bin interior. While it looks nice and polished enough, they have not gone the extra mile and really did something luxurious or sporty. Here's where I give Lexus a lot of credit for building a handsome, high quality interior in the GS. The CTS just seems to be more of the same.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I don't know. Less likely to provoke a reaction than showing up in an M5. Clients tend to be more aware of the price of your car than the looks,unless it is bright Orange or something like that.
I agree; I wouldn't show up in an M5 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
But a BMW five series is okay?
Arguable, I admit. But a 5 has a more understated design than this CTS. People may realize a 5 is an expensive car, but the CTS seems to be advertising itself as expensive and over the top in a different way.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
I agree; I wouldn't show up in an M5 either.

Arguable, I admit. But a 5 has a more understated design than this CTS. People may realize a 5 is an expensive car, but the CTS seems to be advertising itself as expensive and over the top in a different way.
Having had the current CTS, I can say that the car was on the edgy side for me, but not bad enough to not like it. I deal with customers who occasionally see and ride in my cars. My last four have been current BMW, Lexus GS, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti M45. I was concerned about the image of the Lexus but I never got much grief over it. People kid me (half kidding?) from time to time, but nobody really gives me much of a hard time. My take is that if someone is looking for a reason to not like you to begin with, they will talk behind your back about your fancy car, but if they like you - which is what dealer with people for a living is all about - having them like you enough to buy from you, it's not really an issue.

I'm not really a salesman in the pure sense of the word. I am a Global Account Manager and most of my contacts are at a high level with folks who often have nice cars themselves. If I had to call on plants for a living like many of our outside sales folks do, I would not drive these sorts of cars to call on them.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Based on what I've read on some other boards, the under 30 crowd really loves this car and the styling and especially more LED lights everywhere and that the tailights remained vertical.

In all honesty, I quite like the CTS and this version as well and am over 40.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	byQUinZ.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	368638   Click image for larger version

Name:	52bVmfv.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	368640  
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Based on what I've read on some other boards, the under 30 crowd really loves this car and the styling and especially more LED lights everywhere and that the tailights remained vertical.

In all honesty, I quite like the CTS and this version as well and am over 40.
Yeah, but look at the CTS picture I pasted in above, then look at your gorgeous 535 in your signature. To me, your 535 is beautiful because it has great lines, lithe muscles, and perfect proportions. The CTS looks like a Jersey Boy wearing a garish suit that isn't tailored too well.

I'm also over 40.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Not to be a snob, but even if it had 600hp, saying I drove a Cadillac would roll off my tongue like The Fonz saying he was wrong....

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
Not to be a snob, but even if it had 600hp, saying I drove a Cadillac would roll off my tongue like The Fonz saying he was wrong....
But it's one better than saying you drive a Lexus and just one below a Benz...

- A Lexus man, the living dead.
- A Caddilac man, Elvis and Liberace
- A Benz man, fat@ss greedy banker.
- A BMW man, modern sporty family man.
- A Porsche man, dentist.
- An Alfa man, coolest guy around.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post

I thought the Porsche man was a lawyer with a license plate that reads WLLSUEU
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Forgot Audi, wannabe.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post

Nice! But I think to the outside world BMW screams yuppie and/or inconsiderate SOB.

Also, my dentist (woman) actually drives a Cayenne!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Yeah, but look at the CTS picture I pasted in above, then look at your gorgeous 535 in your signature. To me, your 535 is beautiful because it has great lines, lithe muscles, and perfect proportions. The CTS looks like a Jersey Boy wearing a garish suit that isn't tailored too well.

I'm also over 40.
That pretty much nails it, and make no mistake that's exactly who these designs are somewhat marketing towards, per the "language" they speak. Unfortunately even Mercedes is going down the route of your latter comments. For example, I wouldn't want those classic Caddy vertical taillights on my car (too many junk models since the 70's wearing them that has completely ruined the effect to me), however I like that Caddy is keeping it OG, as if they did horizontal lights the rear would look like 99% of Sedans today, which would be a disservice to those Sedans who wear it well and to Cadillac as well.

That said, I like that Caddy isn't trying to look like BMW or Audi like everyone else is. We need these varieties to allow us to depict the different emotions/styles/stereotypes they convey. It makes for diversity.

After seeing something like the CTS, which if it doesn't speak your language, will have you ultra loving seeing a classically finesse BMW design like the F10, with its smooth surfaces, connected design, perfect proportions, and all around sportily muscular yet elegant grace. Seeing a CTS makes seeing a smooth and understated yet effortlessly commanding design like the F10 all the better, IMO.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Interesting comment. I just got back from two motorcycle dealers today. One was a BMW dealer where I had to pick up something for my 2013 BMW K1600GT. The other was a Ducati dealer - I bought a Panigale this morning. I was interested in a s1000rr, but long story. Honda/Ducati dealer is a very long time friend and my Goldwing has been on his lot on consignment since I bought the BMW. I finally worked a trade with him for the Panigale.
The Panigale is a nice bike. If I was looking for a twin I'd definitely check it out but I am used to the inline 4.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
looking at the pic above,it seems to have some nice styling.
one exception being i think they over sized the grill.
i think if the lower third of the grill was not there it would have a better look.

they could have then raised the front bumper a few inches higher to flow into the pieces under the headlights.
and then expanded on the small center panel under the bumper,so that would be sized to match the existing cutouts under each headlight.
it would have been cleaner and more symmetrical. but as always looks and style is subjective.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: Unknown
I'm surprised you guys don't care about the engine more. Seems like a lot of the comments are about styling.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar View Post
I'm surprised you guys don't care about the engine more. Seems like a lot of the comments are about styling.
Maybe because the engines are not the "problem" with American cars in general. We expect them to be good, powerful, reliable and nowadays with decent mileage. It's the styling, quality of materials, ambience and handling that I think are the main reasons that makes us pause. The CTS-V engine for example is pretty cool.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
You're gonna have to look at it a ton more than you're gonna go WOT in it.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
You're gonna have to look at it a ton more than you're gonna go WOT in it.
BMW's slogan "It only does one thing, the ultimate driving machine" seems to go out the window with your statement.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
I think the front end styling is excellent.

The transmission is the 8-speed auto from the Lexus ISF which is an excellent transmission.
I'm not sure this is correct. The Corvette's 8 speed auto will be an Aisin unit. I think the CTS uses the same ZF unit that BMW uses. Not sure though. There's conflicting reports all over the web.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:02 PM

The front looks fantastic, but that's it. The rear end is terrible design and the interior is a disaster, like the ATS. Looks great in pictures, but doesn't feel high quality in real life. Let's not forget that CUE sucks.

The new V6TT is fantastic though. There's going to be a CTS-V upcoming with a blown V8 too.

I'm sure the new CTS will be a good car (better than the Acura RLX, Infiniti M), but I'm not sure it matches up to the Lexus GS and Germans. Maybe I'm not the target audience. I would own a BMW/Audi/MB/Lexus much before any Cadillac, I don't care how good the Cadillac is.

The competition is only getting better now because both Porsche and Maserati will have 5 series competitors in the near future. The Cadillac brand can't touch Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Porsche/Maserati, or even Lexus for brand recognition/prestige.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 03-28-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I'm not sure this is correct. The Corvette's 8 speed auto will be an Aisin unit. I think the CTS uses the same ZF unit that BMW uses. Not sure though. There's conflicting reports all over the web.
Yeah, the CTS does indeed use the Aisin unit from the Lexus. Corvette won't have the 8sp auto zf till the 2015 model year.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
The front looks fantastic, but that's it. The rear end is terrible design and the interior is a disaster, like the ATS. Looks great in pictures, but doesn't feel high quality in real life. Let's not forget that CUE sucks.

The new V6TT is fantastic though. There's going to be a CTS-V upcoming with a blown V8 too.

I'm sure the new CTS will be a good car (better than the Acura RLX, Infiniti M), but I'm not sure it matches up to the Lexus GS and Germans. Maybe I'm not the target audience. I would own a BMW/Audi/MB/Lexus much before any Cadillac, I don't care how good the Cadillac is.
Brand image too powerful I guess. Perception > Reality maybe?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Valid point. All CTS owners I've seen around here are really old and CTS-V owners are straight *********s
Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Brand image too powerful I guess. Perception > Reality maybe?
Yeah, I guess so. I bet Cadillac will get up there in the future, but I still have a sour taste in my mouth for GM. The ATS received so much hype, but it hasn't been the hit they wanted it to be. F30 still outsells it and it's been panned for the poor CUE interface, poor space, terrible gearbox, etc.

Let's not forget their dealers are not up to par with a luxury brand at all. They aren't any diff't than a basic Chevy lot around here.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 03-28-2013 at 05:10 PM.