Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: e70 x5
e70 x5 pamoramic roof stuck in closed position

Hi Guys

my sunroof is stuck in closed position and wont slide open but both pop up ok.
I have purchased the rebuild kits from ecs tunning for both front and rear. im trying to find a pdf or a video rebuild guide can any one help please

regards

goran
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: Sorry VW,s
Have you tried to reprogram the sunroof ? because if its tilting then may be it has lost its memory and has defaulted , or it may have become jammed and it will then not allow itself to go past that point . Check for the seal at the join of the two panels it sometimes comes unglued and will cause the roof to stop . Here is the way to reset start the car press and hold the center of the button upwards DO not release after about 60 seconds the blinds should close and the roof will go through all its functions , it will open and close several times DO NOT release the button until the both panels have closed and the blinds have also closed because if you do you will need to do the reset all over again . Please try that and if required there is a modification for the usual problem of the rear panel being stuck open its on PAGE 2 of this thread scroll down to the bottom and its there . Good luck . Howard

PS before you attempt a repair I will forewarn you , for an untrained person it could end in tears as these roofs are a bloody nightmare of flimsy brittle plastic parts . You will need to remove the whole interior roof lining then unbolt the whole sunroof because none of the parts can be fitted with the roof in the car . I have over 33 year experience and believe me even I have to allow around 8 hours to R and R the roof to install the most common parts that fail . In some case the parts you may try and repair are only available as a complete housing assembly , here in Australia its a $6000 plus part .

Last edited by sunny43.5; 03-07-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 AM

Panoramic sunroof issue

Hi howard,

Can you email me on goza21@optusnet.com.au as i have open the parts that i recieved and not sure if i have. Extra part or missing a part

Regards

Goran
Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 30d
Hello Howard - I also encounter the problem with my 2005 x5 panoramic roof rear vent stuck open and the roof cant slide open. Can you please help by sending me the fix procedure and pics how to resolve the ploblem. I would appreciate it. Best regards, Albertus
Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 30d
Thank you I will do te mod and report back. Kind regards. Albertus
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 530xiT (e61)
I have a 5 series wagon (2007 530xi). Tried to open pano sunroof yesterday, but wouldn't open. Made no sound, as if if no juice. It would tilt to vent and close, but wouldn't open. The movement was smooth without rattle or jerk. To add insult to injury, now the vent won't close.
So now I have both front and back panels stuck in the vent (tilted up). The roof wont open and the cover panel is in close position.
I've tried reinitialization. It will only go through the first step, where it extends tilt and back. But it won't go through the full motion of opening and close.

So how to get both panels to close? How to fix?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 AM

^so it seems its confused.
After some fooling around, don't ask me the sequence of thing I did, it closed the rear panel. The front panel is almost closed with about 3 to 4 mm up.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM

^took car for a ride and it decided to close.!
So for now, it can tilt open. And it closes in a two step fashion! However it won't open. Neither the liner nor panels will move back.
Any ideas?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 04 x3
did the fix and it worked perfect for me !!!!!!
thanks for the great info
Old 03-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0, 09 328, 04 M3
re: 2004 BMW X5 Panoramic Sunroof - Faulty

Hi sunny43.5 and TMunich

Please forward the step by step instruction with picture on how to deal with a faulty 2004 BMW X5 Panoramic Sunroof

I am a newbie in this forum. I need to post a message within 24hours before I can send a private message

Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
This is sad news.....
My parents bought a 2004 car last week. Despite me saying push every button because it was raining they didn't test the roof. The cover is apparently stuck in open. I haven't asked them to see if the roof opens or not yet because if it gets stuck that's a problem. The guy they bought it from claims he is sending some part or other that fixes this that they can snap in place? I'm guessing that's a lie. So, should I try the reset when I go back there next or is it likely something else is wrong, how will I tell?
Parents are late sixties and were so keen to be rid of their old car they bought the x5. If I start to open it is there any damage that can be done, noises to listen out for etc? This will be the fourth BMW in the family, my sister has the exact same car but much higher mileage. The parents has 20k only on the clock.
Any advice appreciated

Last edited by Londonjl; 03-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:47 AM

Small update on my situation. The switch was missing on the sunroof panel so that's why they didn't / couldn't test it. Seems that's the bit he's sending across. Does that help?
Old 03-23-2013, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMX X4
Hello and thanks maybe you can send me the instruccions to victorfjara@gmail.com thank you
Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM

Would be good to get some feedback if it is the switch. I have one on order so will let you know what happens.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 AM

Switch works, fuse fine, still no joy from the roof. I tried the reset procedure, again nothing

Any ideas?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 PM

^seems like you and I have the same problem.

Does any one know the wiring diagram for the two motors? I don't see it in realoem.com.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 325i 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny43.5 View Post
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Hey, if you could send me the info that would be great.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4i
Hi Howard, I would really like to have that info. Can u please email it to me at flavur_time1@yahoo.com. Thanks in advanced.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 AM

2004 BMW X5 Panoramic Sunroof - Faulty

If it helps, apparently one of the cables in the unit is slack. There's a pretty good BMW trained mechanic at the place I'm using, reckons its a cartridge out job but repairable. Does that sound right?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 AM

Hello again form down under thought it would be a good time to repost the instruction and photos as they are back on page two and no one seems to find them so here goes .
Hi again all I have decided to post the repair for all to see , I don't always check the actual website page so some will miss out on a reply . So here it is .
Regards From Howard
I have included two photos for you its really easy to fix the roof , just open the front roof {slide back ] look down from the top and you will see two plastic fittings one on each side remove the metal spring that you can see then the link arm will probably drop down just remove it and discard along with the spring , the next thing is the very front part of this plastic part is sort of triangular in shape . You only need to remove the front piece the first one I used a Fein saw the second one I just used a pair of side cutters much easier , once you have done this on both sides close the roof and make sure you have closed the rear one if its still vented just push the two wedge shaped fittings on the underside rearward and the back glass will close down . Then reprogram the roof press and continue to press the centre of the button for about 60 seconds the roof will then go through all its functions do not remove your finger until the roof closes and the blinds have finished closing , then all should be fine Regards Howard
PS if you only want to close the roof just push back the two ramp fittings inside under the rear glass , push them backwards a bit at a time each side you should then be able to close the front glass , remember not to use the roof again until you do the modification or you will have to reclose the rear glass again .
[IMG]http://

Last edited by sunny43.5; 04-24-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0d sport
I did this mod that sunny recommended and what a result. All done and took 5 mins.

Perfect .
Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 AM

Smile panoramic sunroof

Hi guys
I finally took the plunge and removed my sunroof cassette out of the car. I stripped the cassette and put new front and rear kits through them which included cables and a lot of mechanism. it took me 3 hours to strip one side and then cleaned and rebuilt that side in a hour and striped the other side and cleaned in two. what an effort and not for the faint hearted but well worth it. the sunroof is better than new it opens and closes better than factory
I would like to thank Howard (sunny43.5) with his reply in emails very much appreciated
the plastic bit was of the glass mechanism for the front
Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Hi Howard, thanks for the posts on this. Will this also be a solution if the dealer says a "broken cable" is the issue?
Much appreciated
Coen
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM

If your sunroof is still moving equally both sides then the cable will not be broken the part that normally breaks is only related to the rear glass follow the instructions and see how it goes , remember the stealers oops dealers are not always totally correct in their answers they will only try and take the easy way out and it will cost you a motza of cash if you do it their way .
Old 06-12-2013, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2004 & motoguzzi griso
Hey all. I've had the same issue but wedges slid back with little effort. ;-)
Front slides back fine so I was wondering is there a wire I can cut to disable the
Rear glass so I can still use the tilt function on the front glass??
Cheers for any input. This is my 1st post. ;-)
Cheers daz
Newcastle Nsw austrailia