Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 M-sport
Unhappy 2014 X3 Package Dilemma

I just ordered my 2014 X3 and having some last minute buyers remorse about ordering and not ordering a few packages/options.

Some background. I drive a 2001 Toyota avalon and it drives smoooooth. It's a dependable car but very very boring to drive.

We were thinking of upgrading and test drove the X3 28i. WOW, that engine was nice but the engine noise crept into the cabin all the time. Then I drove the X3 35i and I loved the smoothness of exhaust, responsiveness, etc. I was sold.

I finally ordered the following config.

2014 X3 35i
Carbon Black
Oyster white nevada leather.
M-sport package
Premium package
Cold weather package
Driver assistance package

paying 50.5K before taxes.

Did not order the following systems

1) Premium sound package. I play in a band but not a purist or audiophile. Mostly listen to talk radio on my daily commute to work. Looking at reviews on this site, did not feel like spending $800 on a premium "no brand" sound system.

2) Technology package. Not sure if I'll ever need HUD or navigation system. A $150 garmin can give better direction and traffic info (HD traffic). Maps updates are free for lifetime.

3) Dynamic handling package. Not sure why I did not order this.

4) Driver assistance plus. Top view is a gimmick and I don't need lane departure warning.

Now I wanted to stay within budget (around 54K after taxes). I'm a physician but that does not mean I will blow off my money on all the bells and whistles. I want a decent driving experience and that wide grin on my face when I drive the X3

My dealer reassured there is still some time to make modifications - although the order is submitted. So here are my questions:

Is the M-sport package really worth the 3K? Does it add anything else in drive quality compared to regular package. Is it better if I go for standard specs + dynamic handling package?

Technology package. Should I order it? Is the new HUD and map system going to be significantly different from the old one? I really did not like the old maps (on the unit I test drove - 2012 X3 35i). I don't care about BMW apps, remote, etc. I would love to stream songs via bluetooth but I can live with by connecting my iphone via USB. I am assuming that regular phone functions (receive / end) work even without the technology package

What do existing customers think about having onboard navigation vs regular garmin? is the HUD visible during bring daylight?

Please help. I need to make these modifications by tomorrow evening.
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
navigation is not a must i think but is packaged with technology package which also included parking camera, new navigation is linked with an app on iphone, you can send saved maps from google maps to your car, it is very convenient, it will look odd to put a garmin unit on 55K car so suggestion get technology package, HUD is also not a must, i would rather go with M package. i had premium sound in my last 328i, it think it is lot better than the regular sound, if you listen to talk radio you can skip it, HD radio is very good sound as compared to E90, my point is premium sound in this vehicle should be standard at this price point. Lane departure is very good safety feature (i agree not must).
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM

Exclamation

Thank you for the insight. Several of my close friends have said the same thing about navigation package. A garmin would definitely look cheap on the car.

BMW jacked up the prices on the tech package to 3K this year. There is no separate option to just select navigation alone (without HUD).

What do you think about M-sport vs regular + dynamic handling?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzx View Post
4) Driver assistance plus. Top view is a gimmick and I don't need lane departure warning.
Uhh, I couldn't disagree more about Top View. LDW is gee whiz, but Top View is an incredible feature. Every car should have this--I just wish it showed the front of the car as well.

As for the Dynamic Handling Package, I have no idea why you didn't order it either, because it's probably my favorite feature on mine.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:26 PM

personally the minimum you put on option the better value BMWs are, some of these options are ridiculously expensive and premium on a premium car, premium package and CWP is the minimum you need, everything else is depend on how much you want to spend. my must have in order are
Premium package
CWP
M sports
Technology
Dynamic handling.
Harman Kardon sound.
Lane departure.
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Choices choices.

My initial reason not to order the technology package was the ridiculously high prices for map updates. I browsed around in the forum and it looks like there is a member who can provide updates for $50. So this is a non-issue. Is BMW remote services worth it? I am definitely not going to use the apps. What is BMW online?

One thing that I like about my current garmin GPS is lane assist. It tells me which lane to stay in for upcoming exits. Really handy when traveling in unknown destinations. Do we have something like this in BMW?

So premium sound is a big NO. Correct? The X1 and X5's come with Harmon-Kardon speakers. X3's still come with cheap generic "BMW high grade" speakers.

I can add dynamic handling and top view but that will raise the final price of the car to about 54.5K (invoice + all the dealer crap fee).

On one hand, I had a budget in mind and will overshoot it by almost 6K (after considering all taxes). On the other hand, paying 6K over 5 years is nothing.

Again, what do you guys think about removing M-sport and sticking to stock package + dynamic handling?

One other option is to downgrade the engine to 28i (I would really hate to do that). Might test drive both engines again tomorrow

Last edited by vzx; 03-28-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328 F25 X35, W209 AMG
you gotta get Nav not solely for navigation purposes but because you get the wider display screen on your dash and the extended display in your cluster. DHP nice to have but not a must you'll probably drive in comfort mode all the time. M-Package? well it depends but it's worth it, I personally love the feel of the beefed up steering and the look of front and rear bumpers plus the dark headliner. premium sound, nice to have for the occasional songs you might want to listen to. At the end like you said a couple thousand dollars are nothing in a couple years and you will regret not getting them in the future, it also depends how long you wanna keep the car.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM

personally for me 28i is very good. i would say you will be very happy with Premium, technology and CWP, so decision comes down to either get 28i with M package or 35i without M. simple and keep you in your budget.
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Do you guys know a 50K BMW and a 25K Toyota will be worth about the same after 10 years according to KBB.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbiology View Post
Do you guys know a 50K BMW and a 25K Toyota will be worth about the same after 10 years according to KBB.
Except that in 10 years one would be a decade older and missed out on all the fun

I plan to drive my X3 till 100K+ miles over the next 8 years. 50K well spent.

So I finally decided to get the technology package, top view cams, m-sport, cold weather, premium. 53K total (+ taxes extra)

The only things I'm on the edge for are dynamic handling and premium sound. I drive approx 12K a year and approximately 70% is city driving. Not sure how dynamic handling will help.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I have no regrets getting the MSport and Dynamic Handling. They are worth every single penny for the driving experience.

I know it's hard to find a Dynamic Handling car out there because they are usually only on custom orders. But if you can find one, please try and compare the driving difference to a non-DH vehicle. It's definitely not subtle.

The navigation system itself is integrated nicely in to the car. Yes you could get a Garmin. But I personally find the larger LCD screen a nice touch from the small one. IMO, the small one looks like crap and looks weird in the center console. The larger screen fills out the area nicely.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Except that in 10 years one would be a decade older and missed out on all the fun

I plan to drive my X3 till 100K+ miles over the next 8 years. 50K well spent.

So I finally decided to get the technology package, top view cams, m-sport, cold weather, premium. 53K total (+ taxes extra)

The only things I'm on the edge for are dynamic handling and premium sound. I drive approx 12K a year and approximately 70% is city driving. Not sure how dynamic handling will help.
Top view is one of my favorite features, really helps with parking. Like others I think it just looks silly not to have built in Nav system in a 50k vehical and it has work well for me. You also get a large screen for the other functions that use the screen. It does also have a lane change feature to tell you what lane to stay in like the garmins. When I ordered mine I got everything but the M-sport, hud, and dynamic handling. Like you I wanted to stay within my budget so I just stuck with what was most important to me.

M-sport is mostly cosmetic and it wasn't worth 3,000 to me

Hud - it was neat but not worth the price

dynamic handling - a lot of people swear by it but I liked the ride and handling of the stock setup so again it wasn't worth the cost to get it.

I did spring for the premium sound, I think it sounds pretty good and includes XM as well. 900 bucks seemed like a good deal to me.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post

M-sport is mostly cosmetic and it wasn't worth 3,000 to me

Hud - it was neat but not worth the price
Couldn't agree more about the M-sport. Unfortunately, they removed the regular sport package with the 2014's. If I want the sport seats, I would have to go with M-sport.

Similarly, HUD is now included in the tech package.

I'm definitely not going with the dynamic handling package. Thought a lot about it. Not worth spending another 1.4K on it.

Will be going back to the dealership this afternoon to check stock vs premium sound.

Sticking with navigation (technology) package. They increased price to 3.1K now. WTH BMW?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Sorry, the HUD is one of my favorite features with speed and nav direction displays very conveniently positioned to keep your eyes on the road.
I admit it, I'm an option freak. We ordered pretty much everything and I think it helps make it a luxury vehicle.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Smile

Quote:
Couldn't agree more about the M-sport. Unfortunately, they removed the regular sport package with the 2014's. If I want the sport seats, I would have to go with M-sport.

Similarly, HUD is now included in the tech package.

I'm definitely not going with the dynamic handling package. Thought a lot about it. Not worth spending another 1.4K on it.

Will be going back to the dealership this afternoon to check stock vs premium sound.

Sticking with navigation (technology) package. They increased price to 3.1K now. WTH BMW?
I do love the sports seats. I didn't know they got rid of the sport package. That was a better deal in my opinion, you still got the sport seats, steering wheel, and the 309 rims at a better price than M-Sport. Sounds like you will have an great ride though. I love the 35i, doesn't feel like an SUV at all when you floor the gas pedal.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
True words, thats what I am telling myself. One doesn't have that many 10 years. If my last 10 years was with a BMW instead of a Corolla, life would have been more awesome. But still, it would be nice if BMW can be more durable and hold its value better.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:20 PM

So finally drove to my dealership again today. Asked about the technology package. Confirmed that I would be getting the updated navigation pro package with the 2014 models. Checked out this version on a 2013 7 series and loved it.

Final Config:

X3 35i
Carbon Black / Oyester nevada (wish it was napa)
M-sport
Cold weather
Premium
Driver assistance
Technology

No DHP and Premium sound.

Total paid 53.5K (about 1K above invoice - dealer did not want to budge and I did not want to haggle for 300-500 bucks).

on road price after taxes approx 58K. BMW FS rate of 3.19%. Wish it was lower
Old 03-29-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: Soon x3 my 2014
Go to pen fed. 1.74%. Anyone can join.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM

Exclamation

Are they good.. Read a lot of bad reviews about them online. How long does it take to get approval? Do they approve 100%
Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 M Sport
I got it approved quickly and my check is in mail already.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
2014 X3 28i[/B] - Alpine White with Black Nevada Leather - Fineline Wave wood - Premium - M Sport - Lighting - Dynamic Handling - Driver Assistance with Top View - Navigation - High gloss Roof rails - Shadowline
Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 PM

I just applied. Says my application is under review by an officer. Since its a holiday weekend, expecting to hear back on Monday.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 M Sport
Quote:
I just applied. Says my application is under review by an officer. Since its a holiday weekend, expecting to hear back on Monday.
I believe they are open till 11pm 7 days a week. I did apply thru phone though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
2014 X3 28i[/B] - Alpine White with Black Nevada Leather - Fineline Wave wood - Premium - M Sport - Lighting - Dynamic Handling - Driver Assistance with Top View - Navigation - High gloss Roof rails - Shadowline
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 435i GC pending
Quote:
So finally drove to my dealership again today. Asked about the technology package. Confirmed that I would be getting the updated navigation pro package with the 2014 models. Checked out this version on a 2013 7 series and loved it.

Final Config:

X3 35i
Carbon Black / Oyester nevada (wish it was napa)
M-sport
Cold weather
Premium
Driver assistance
Technology

No DHP and Premium sound.

Total paid 53.5K (about 1K above invoice - dealer did not want to budge and I did not want to haggle for 300-500 bucks).

on road price after taxes approx 58K. BMW FS rate of 3.19%. Wish it was lower
OP, something to consider. The navigation system can be ordered as a standalone option. The code # is 609 and cost $2k USD.

The Technology Pkg includes the Nav, HUD, BMW Online, Real-time traffic info, remote services and BMW Apps at a price of $3k. If only the navigation system is desired, this could create a budget should you want to opt for the Premium Sound.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
OP, something to consider. The navigation system can be ordered as a standalone option. The code # is 609 and cost $2k USD.

Is the HUD worth it? I liked it but I've been driving without one for years and never had a problem. I guess I did not go for premium sound because several folks on this forum have reported they are not really premium quality like some other cars out there.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5dm3 View Post
I believe they are open till 11pm 7 days a week. I did apply thru phone though.
I guess I'm a victim of my own paranoia. Had my SSN blocked with all the reporting agencies. TransUnion and Experian are very good in unlocking online but Equifax insists that I mail a request to them. PenFed checks credit through Equifax.